• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weight lifters, strength trainers, and body builders. Raise your hand.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Just started less than 2 months ago, first time doing any sort of work-out.
2x a week, right now curling 20 pound weights, and when I do leg-presses its low weight with a shitload of repetitions. I want to fill out the muscle I have before working on bulking it up.

Being in weight training class in college is going to keep me with the program, and i'm taking it again next semester. By then I should have it routine.

B

ByMySword

Right now I'm building, so If I get all my school work done and my job doesn't interfere, then I do a 3-day split and rest on Wednesdays.

Sundays and Thursdays - Back and Biceps
Mondays and Fridays - Pecs, Triceps, and Shoulders
Tuesdays and Saturdays - Legs and Cardio

When I'm cutting, I just add one more Cardio day and go on Wednesday.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot. I work a different core muscle everyday.

Sundays and Thursdays - Lower Back (of course)

Mondays and Fridays - Obliques

Thursdays and Saturdays - Abdominals

And if its just a cardio day, then I work all of them.

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
I am not an intense weightlifter or anything as I don't have the money to afford the necessary facilities. But my routine goes like this :

3/7 days : arm curl with 20kg dumbells, as well as other exercices that I don't know the name of but mainly focus on upper arms, shoulders, pectorals and upper back with those dumbells.
3/7 days : 3x20 push ups, 3x40 ab crunches, 2x4 pull ups (on some shitty ridgepole in the backyard).

As of cardio I cycle about 20km to school and back 4 days a week, and also cycle to friends places (I don't have a car).

Any advices on good training or ideas when on very low budget?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright. I'm curious if there are any other people, guys and girls, that are lifting weights. It's hard to be on the body building forum and the MBTI forum all the time.

I hoping to find some lifters here that I can befriend :)
Alright! Where are you??

I've been a dedicated powerlifter/weightlifter/bodybuilder for 20 years.

2009_12_Check-1.jpg

COLLAGE_elbow.jpg

My preferred workout schedule is 5 days per week; the past year I have only been able to go 3 times per week, but I do an hour of cardio in each session and then lift, so it kind of evens out.

I'm 6'1" tall, and currently 230 pounds. In my "prime" I was 245 pounds at age 26, working out twice per day, and sleeping for 10 hours per day. At this point in the game I am in maintenance mode, as I am 36 years old, and there is no way I can get bigger, so now it is time to get as lean as possible and to prevent injuries.

I've had arthroscopic surgery on both of my shoulders. I've had a SLAP tear repair in my left shoulder. I've had a PRP injection into my right elbow to resolve golfer's tendon.

But I am still at it. I still eat an isometric whole foods diet and 5 medium meals per day. I use the BSN supplements with some regularity and whey protein, that's it.

Bodybuilding has benefitted every aspect of my life. It has taught me that it is possible to improve my health and my physique with the right combination of research, practice, exertion, effort, and persistence. It has taught me discipline. I am now able to apply the same principles and methods to causing change in my immediate environment. It is something I have never tired of, it has always been fun for me. :pumpyouup:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I've been a dedicated powerlifter/weightlifter/bodybuilder for 20 years.

My preferred workout schedule is 5 days per week; the past year I have only been able to go 3 times per week, but I do an hour of cardio in each session and then lift, so it kind of evens out.

I'm 6'1" tall, and currently 230 pounds. In my "prime" I was 245 pounds at age 26, working out twice per day, and sleeping for 10 hours per day. At this point in the game I am in maintenance mode, as I am 36 years old, and there is no way I can get bigger, so now it is time to get as lean as possible and to prevent injuries.

I've had arthroscopic surgery on both of my shoulders. I've had a SLAP tear repair in my left shoulder. I've had a PRP injection into my right elbow to resolve golfer's tendon.

But I am still at it. I still eat an isometric whole foods diet and 5 medium meals per day. I use the BSN supplements with some regularity and whey protein, that's it.

Bodybuilding has benefitted every aspect of my life. It has taught me that it is possible to improve my health and my physique with the right combination of research, practice, exertion, effort, and persistence. It has taught me discipline. I am now able to apply the same principles and methods to causing change in my immediate environment. It is something I have never tired of, it has always been fun for me. :pumpyouup:

Show off... And you didn't even point him to the fitness threads...:rolli:

:D

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/health-fitness/21154-typec-exercise-challenge-contest.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/health-fitness/14859-lifting-thread.html

And a group about such things: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/group.php?groupid=62

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

One day I'll overcome being bashful, hopefully. :laugh:

There's alot of great lifting advice in the links Biaxident posted above.

Biaxident gave me a battery of exercises to perform that allowed me to break a plateau while stabilizing my [over the hill] shoulders and elbow.

I'm also fond of Wolfy's lifting advice, direct, effective, and brutal, but in a good way.

I've got some passages of lifting/nutrition advice too in my personal thread, in response to questions by forum members.

It's time to get huge people! :happy:

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Nice Halla! You must be extremely disciplined... I'm jealous.

As for Loxias - you can do a lot with 20kg dumbbells... can work just about every muscle. You'd only need a gym depending on your goals which you haven't mentioned. If you want to be like Halla... yeah you'd probably need a gym, haha, but for the regular tone guy with some muscles.. you can do a lot with those dumb bells.
75% is diet, 25% is workout. If you want to get big, you have to eat big..

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nice Halla! You must be extremely disciplined... I'm jealous.

Thank you! I'd like to pretend it's discipline, but its more so a healthy outlet for my OCD/ADHD-ESTP-7w8-ism. :laugh:

As for Loxias - you can do a lot with 20kg dumbbells... can work just about every muscle.

TRUTH. :yes:

75% is diet, 25% is workout. If you want to get big, you have to eat big..

Nicely put. Many forget how important food is. Enough food, the right foods, in the right combinations, at the right intervals, not just drinking a protein shake after your workout. :doh:

Nameless Hero

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
I like Kettlebells, Clubbells, and TacFit (from Scott Sonnon.) I do some Hammer Strength as well.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nicely put. Many forget how important food is. Enough food, the right foods, in the right combinations, at the right intervals, not just drinking a protein shake after your workout. :doh:
All the protein shakes weird me out. Is it possible to build muscle eating real food (not just egg whites, either)?

I get that you need protein to build muscle, but I don't understand why eggs/milk/meat/fish/yogurt/legumes/etc is not enough. The cavemen did ok without protein shakes. They are also super expensive. And I have been taught that eating too much protein is very hard on your kidneys, and that excessive protein just passes through you, accomplishing nothing but stressing your kidneys and spending money.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
All the protein shakes weird me out. Is it possible to build muscle eating real food (not just egg whites, either)?

I get that you need protein to build muscle, but I don't understand why eggs/milk/meat/fish/yogurt/legumes/etc is not enough. The cavemen did ok without protein shakes. They are also super expensive. And I have been taught that eating too much protein is very hard on your kidneys, and that excessive protein just passes through you, accomplishing nothing but stressing your kidneys and spending money.

Some people cycle it in and out of their diets. You are right- too much of that stuff is not good. To build adequate muscle for your frame, having a high protein diet from the sources you mentioned above is enough. To get bigger you'll need to take in more of it.