• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weight lifters, strength trainers, and body builders. Raise your hand.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Im 5'8 moderately skinny not as skinny as you but still def trying to pack on the weight, which is a lot harder than it seems it really makes you appreciate the work that people who are in great shape put in. Like you said it adds a certain structure to your life and necessitates a decent work ethic if you want to make any sort of progress.

Awesome, bro!

Yes. Gaining weight is a lot harder than it looks. The thing that's made the biggest difference for me has been eating more. Lot's more.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My w/o routine

Ok, AA. Here is my routine. I started doing it at the beginning of April and I've put on about 15 pounds since then.

Anyways, this is my workout that I did for the past week.

My journal (that I actually haven't been logging recently) is on IronMagazine Bodybuilding Forum - discuss bodybuilding & fitness

You can find it here. It's titled 'No Whining'.
I've also posted some before and after pics. I used to be noticeably skinnier.

For your reference, I'm 27, 5'5" and currently weigh 145 (approx.)

tuesday - vertical push-pull

rack pulls
235 x 5
305 x 5
305 x 5
305 x 5
305 x 4

bent-over rows
145 x 8
145 x 8
145 x 8

unilateral DB rows
65 x 10
65 x 10
60 x 10

incline DB press
55 x 5
55 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

incline bench press
125 x 8
125 x 8
125 x 6

DB flys
35 x 10
35 x 10
35 x 10

weighted crunches on bosu ball
75 x 8
75 x 8
75 x 8

standing calf raises
bw x 8
bw x 8
bw x 8

wednesday - quad dominant ham accessory and bis

back squats - ATG
195 x 5
215 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

front squats - ATG
155 x 8
155 x 8
155 x 8

split squats
90 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 0

standing BB curls
70 x 8
70 x 8
70 x 8

unilateral preacher curls
25 x 8
27.5 x 8
27.5 x 8

friday - vertical pull-push abs calves

weighted chins
+35 x 5
+35 x 5
+35 x 5
+35 x 5
+35 x 5

unweighted chins
bw x 5
bw x 5
bw x 5

unilateral lat pull-downs
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 8

hang cleans
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5
90 x 5
90 x 5

unilateral corner press
35 x 8
35 x 8
35 x 8

arnie press
30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 10

weighed crunches w/bosu ball
75 x 8
75 x 8
75 x 8

calf press
160 x 12
160 x 12
135 x 12

saturday - hamstring dominant quad accessory tris

Romanian Deadlifts
245 x 5
265 x 5
265 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5

Good Mornings
125 x 8
135 x 8 - PR - up 10 lbs
135 x 8

leg curls
130 x 12
140 x 12
140 x 12

front squats
145 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10

med. close grip bench press
145 x 8
145 x 8
155 x 8

weighted dips
35 x 8
35 x 8
35 x 8

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Awesome, bro!

Yes. Gaining weight is a lot harder than it looks. The thing that's made the biggest difference for me has been eating more. Lot's more.

Man, great job Wyst, you have certainly taken this way more seriously than i have but this is very encouraging. I think my main problem these days, is not pushing myself as hard and not eating right. I tried to do this one thing that I read off of one website called the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet, but I just lost weight and probably muscle too, turned out it was for guys wanting to cut up. Also it made me very weak. The only time I can work out is after a nice bowl of Kraft 76 cent macaroni and cheese or some other good energy food, but their probably is way more info on this on those forums.

Thanks alot, I am seriously going to get serious about this and that forum is awsome. At this point, I am near your before pics, but I am skinnier and less muscle, thats how bad I am. I think I need to get some before pics going right now, and start up a page over there.

again thanks.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've always wanted one of these home gym set ups, this monster can do anything, but considering its "unloaded" weight is 1,322 lbs. , it would cave my old wooden floor in, and for the money that they ask for one, its really meant for the most serious of all workout fanatics.
eff.jpg
YouTube - Titan T1 The Ultimate Home Gym Fitness Equipment

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks alot, I am seriously going to get serious about this and that forum is awsome. At this point, I am near your before pics, but I am skinnier and less muscle, thats how bad I am. I think I need to get some before pics going right now, and start up a page over there.

again thanks.

Sweet dude. More power to ya :nice:

Let me know when you start and if your name is/isn't the same over there. I really haven't been forum-ing of there much over the past month and a half, but once I move up to Dallas and things settle down with the new job I'm planning on getting back there.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have a friend who has the opposite problem of me. Everyone comments on how 'tiny' she is. She has a tendency to burn a lot of calories resting (damn her) and is constantly eating. She's very petite, under 100 pounds, and fits into children's size clothing (she's also cheap, so this works out for her :laugh:).

She's trying to 'get fit' which literally means get fit as in she literally has trouble lifting household things like vacuum cleaners out of the trunk of her car and carrying it back into the house and she used to get winded and tired extremely easily. She had to hold a video camera (5 pounds?) for 30 minutes once to videotape an event and her arms started shaking.

I also have another friend who is into biking and physical activity but has yet another body type and gains and holds onto fat easily and has a zaftig womanly figure (which is hilarious b/c she's a total lesbo and doesn't want no babies with her child rearing hips and she HATES the unwanted attention men give her because of her chest).

They both want me to be a work-out buddy and help motivate them.

I told both of them since our bodies are basically opposite (one ectomorph, one endomorph, me endo-mesomorph) we should just all do a lot of weight lifting. Well, I told my ectomorph friend that. She'll gain muscle, I'll slim down, we both win.

I do A LOT of weight lifting compared to the average girl. I know from experience and study as my trainers (competitive body builders and a very slender female sports medicine student) that it helps women lose weight like nobody's business. *edit* Or rather it's what shapes your body which is often what women are trying to do, not necessarily become a smaller version of your current self.

Plus, I dunno, people annoy me sometimes and I like knowing that I can lift all the heavy stuff by myself. :D

It helps me feel present in my body to work on its composition and function, in addition to appearance.

Um...was that even answering your OP at all? :laugh:

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...CzeCze talking about how buff she's getting...

Basically, you just informed us all that you can kick our ass. ;)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Oh Spirilis, you already knew that.

;)

:laugh:

Seriously though, with all my lady hormones and genetics I'm not sure there's enough hours in the day (or eggs in my diet) to get truly intimidating.

Maybe that's why I tend to date ladies who can bench press impressive amounts? LOL.

*edit* Seriously, if you can't throw me over your shoulder and run 1/4 of a mile, I'm not sure we can be together.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It helps me feel present in my body to work on its composition and function, in addition to appearance.

Yes! Ahh CzeCze. Not only are you a female ENFP but a WEIGHTLIFTING female ENFP :wub:

Girls that lift weights are very sexy.

You're right! Weight lifting is a great way to lose weight, man or woman. For the girls that say "I'll get all muscley". Tell them that they'd have to eat about 3000 cals a day and lift weights for at least 2 years to shed the fat and start looking 'muscley'. Gaining muscle is NOT easy. Especially for women. Fortunately losing fat is easier.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like to lift. I used to have some serious planned out routines when I was going about 4-5 times a week. I've chilled out a little bit, and now I like to do full body routines every time I go, 4 sets per exercise, 15, 10, 10, 8 reps, 5-6 exercises. I used to deadlift a bunch. Max was somewhere around 240. I may start than up again.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes! Ahh CzeCze. Not only are you a female ENFP but a WEIGHTLIFTING female ENFP :wub:

Girls that lift weights are very sexy.

You're right! Weight lifting is a great way to lose weight, man or woman. For the girls that say "I'll get all muscley". Tell them that they'd have to eat about 3000 cals a day and lift weights for at least 2 years to shed the fat and start looking 'muscley'. Gaining muscle is NOT easy. Especially for women. Fortunately losing fat is easier.

Tell me about it...even when I was going to the gym on a regular basis, I would lose fat like crazy and get stronger, but gain muscle mass??? Forget it!!! And I tried everything...more reps, less weight; more weight, less reps; more weight, more reps. GAHH!

Now I've gotten lazy and go only once or twice a week - that I understand. But when I go 4-5 times a week and all that - GRRR! IT's demotivating.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Tell me about it...even when I was going to the gym on a regular basis, I would lose fat like crazy and get stronger, but gain muscle mass??? Forget it!!! And I tried everything...more reps, less weight; more weight, less reps; more weight, more reps. GAHH!

Now I've gotten lazy and go only once or twice a week - that I understand. But when I go 4-5 times a week and all that - GRRR! IT's demotivating.

Do you get a lot of protein in your diet?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hmm, depends on what you mean by "a lot." If you mean like 200g a day - no. If you mean 30g-40g a day - yes.

You could get that up to 60-90 grams of protein a day as a female if you are doing strength training several times a week. That may help.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Weight lifting is a big part of my workout routine. Taking a break for a bit though cause it’s less fun then it should be at the moment :(

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You could get that up to 60-90 grams of protein a day as a female if you are doing strength training several times a week. That may help.

WOW, really??? Cool ;)

Question is - how do I do that without ingesting thousands of grams of fat? :doh:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I have a question. In the past, trainers have told me that I should only work out with weights no more than three times a week. That your muscles need a day to heal before tearing them up again otherwise working out will not be as effective. Is this correct?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
WOW, really??? Cool ;)

Question is - how do I do that without ingesting thousands of grams of fat? :doh:

I like Met-RX Protein Plus bars as a meal replacement for lunch. 32 grams of protein for each 85-gram bar. 330 Calories, 9 grams of fat, 80 Calories from fat. Also, I tend to eat like six small meals a day, so I like to snack on peanuts or almonds in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Beans are another good source.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have a question. In the past, trainers have told me that I should only work out with weights no more than three times a week. That your muscles need a day to heal before tearing them up again otherwise working out will not be as effective. Is this correct?

I do every other day pretty much, but I would imagine the more serious gym rats can get it up to like 5 days a week with problems. It's about listening to your body. I would take it slow early on.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like Met-RX Protein Plus bars as a meal replacement for lunch. 32 grams of protein for each 85-gram bar. 330 Calories, 9 grams of fat, 80 Calories from fat. Also, I tend to eat like six small meals a day, so I like to snack on peanuts or almonds in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Beans are another good source.

Wow, impressive. Those things are healthy for you? I was never sure, so I steered clear of them.

However, the six small meals is a really cool idea. I think that is definitely healthier. I also find not eating after 6 pm is also good for me. :happy: