• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

tHeObRoMiNe eXpErImEnT

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am posting the results of my experiment with theobromine here instead of in the usual place. Since 2010 I've become intensely sensitive to various elements in my environment, either as allergy or other reactions (although doctors these days call every reaction an "allergy," and not just the histaminic ones). My intent is to determine exactly which substances in various foods I have been reacting to, and in this experiment my substance is chocolate.

To begin with, I stopped chocolate intake for a week, although the intent at first was just to eliminate a known nuisance substance. But then after doing some research on the various ingredients that make up chocolate, whether naturally or as additives, I came upon the substance known as theobromine (known to antiquity as the 'food of the gods'), a natural ingredient of chocolate. Normally, in order to undertake an allergy experiment without actually doing a chem panel in a doctor's office, it would be necessary to consume pure chocolate to determine if the problem was with an additive. However, theobromine is common to all chocolate I consume, so I purchased some 99% theobromine powder online.

Yesterday morning, I consumed a minor amount mixed in a neutral substance, H2O. It was so nasty tasting that I only drank half of it and so I don't think I consumed enough of it to have much of an effect. I think I was kind of itchy all day and rather "high." So this morning I consumed a few grams in strawberry milk to kill the flavor. *I don't have any empty capsules to put the powder in and besides I don't think that method would help much with the taste because it would just get all over the capsules themselves*.

One hour after consuming theobromine: I am so full of energy I don't know what to do with myself. On a normal morning on my days off, I just sit at the computer and vegetate, reading, sluggishly posting a few things maybe, watching interesting videos: mostly passive activities. But this morning, I swept out the entire garage, cleaned the kitchen, shared a whole bunch of interesting stuff on Facebook (which I don't normally bother with), and I'm generally more talkative than usual. And creating a post this long is really not normal for me as I usually only have enough energy for short posts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two hours later: increased heart rate, somewhat nauseated, perhaps irritable. I think the "high" feeling is cause by vasodilation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pulse is 92 bpm, nausea increasing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pulse 92 bpm, not as nauseated now.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It makes me sick to my stomach to make these reports, I wish I could make them lying flat on my back.

Pulse rate is 84 bpm, somewhat irregular. not as nauseated. I need to go lie down for a bit more.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pulse is 104 bpm, the heartburn which I expected to happen is happening. It's hard to type this for some reason. I feel weak.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pulse down to 84 bpm, slightly irregular. stomach problems. not so nauseated. weak.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Thinking of you during this experiment on yourself!

You can take too much theobromine. A potentially lethal dose is quite high though (~70 mg/pound of body weight) and I doubt you took that much. If you did it might be worth going to the Dr or your local ER if you have any other symptoms that would indicate toxicity. However, the increase in heart rate and the nausea could also be an anxiety reaction. How much do you think you took?

Summary: rest this afternoon, increase your water intake to help increase the metabolism of the theobromine from your system. It is a stimulant, related to caffeine, so your symptoms atm are not unexpected.

And sending a :hug:. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pulse 76, feeling better, not as shaky and nauseated.

A worthy experiment, because I didn't end up in the ER.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thinking of you during this experiment on yourself!

You can take too much theobromine. A potentially lethal dose is quite high though (~70 mg/pound of body weight) and I doubt you took that much. If you did it might be worth going to the Dr or your local ER if you have any other symptoms that would indicate toxicity. However, the increase in heart rate and the nausea could also be an anxiety reaction. How much do you think you took?

Summary: rest this afternoon, increase your water intake to help increase the metabolism of the theobromine from your system. It is a stimulant, related to caffeine, so your symptoms atm are not unexpected.

And sending a :hug:. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks. I may have take you off my ignore list. I researched theobromine beforehand and understand its potential for toxicity. This tells me what I wanted to know. Still too weak to type correctly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got up to get a bottle of water. I feel sick - and heavy-shouldered? I can't describe it. Too sick. Have to lie down again. Can't type.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Welcome to the world of nootropics. :blush:

Didn't read the last few posts. Does anyone know Mal's phone number?