• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The tea thread

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] ginger tea, Camomile tea or Mint tea.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you all have any recommendations for good tea for when you're sick, on a college budget?

Isn't Stash brand tea less expensive in retail stores than Tazo? Its pretty good, the Lemon Ginger Herbal tea was always a big hit. Ginger can have positive benefits for an ill feeling stomach. :)

Here is the message from my tea today:
Filling my pot with water for tea, soon I will transcend from the realm of form into the formless realm. In a moment of perfect fluidity all entanglements cease.

I thought that was poignant, even synchronicitous
happy0169.gif

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone ever try the Keurig teas?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
has anyone ever thrown up from drinking green tea on an empty stomach or am i just a freak? it's happened a few times.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ginger tea is really good; I like the instant stuff you can get at Asian groceries. Just boil/simmer slices of ginger root with some brown sugar or honey. Delicious!

Chamomile is good too; I like Sleepytime and Tazo Calm. Recently Tazo started making a "Rest" tea that is nice also.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
has anyone ever thrown up from drinking green tea on an empty stomach or am i just a freak? it's happened a few times.

I'm not sure what it could be that is causing that.. Ive never heard of it before anyways.

As far as expensive teas.. Revolution teas have always tasted pretty damn good and they're not nearly as expensive as some of these. :laugh:

Unrelated story, One time, we had a lady call us questioning if her tea box was molded... We were tripped out, opened one at the house to discover there was a fuzzy substance inside of the bag!! :doh: We called the manufacturer, who laughed and said, "Look, we get this a lot. They're natural teas, so the lavender flowers are trying to blossom. It happens. They're safe to drink."

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure what it could be that is causing that.. Ive never heard of it before anyways.

As far as expensive teas.. Revolution teas have always tasted pretty damn good and they're not nearly as expensive as some of these. :laugh:

Unrelated story, One time, we had a lady call us questioning if her tea box was molded... We were tripped out, opened one at the house to discover there was a fuzzy substance inside of the bag!! :doh: We called the manufacturer, who laughed and said, "Look, we get this a lot. They're natural teas, so the lavender flowers are trying to blossom. It happens. They're safe to drink."

Eww@ fuzzy substance.

I had jasmine tea and dim sum yesterday.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoy tea but drink more coffee.

My favorites: Aged Earl Grey with milk, Lapsang Souchong, Hime Genmai Cha, and just about anything that the the Numi co. can put into a tea bag.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I just find tea more comforting.. Nothing screams winter time like hot tea in the morning with breakfast.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tried "Indian tea" for the first time today. Lots of milk and ginger...tasted like hot cocoa to me. Very nice!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

gracious! I drink tea on an empty stomach almost every day. I can't imagine what would cause such a reaction :(

N

NPcomplete

I had ginger and lemongrass tea yesterday. I wish the flavours had been stronger but it was still very tasty.

gromit

likes this
Mmm did I say I love chai tea? I also got this herbal tea from celestial seasonings honey vanilla chamomile. That has been very nice with this cough/cold.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Iron Buddha has become my tea of choice for researching. it's somewhat expensive, but you can steep it 8-10 times and can last for most of a 4-8 hour work session.

steeping instructions
pot: clay, not glazed, 100 CCs (yes, I know this is a ridiculously small tea pot, but that's why you're able to get so many steepings out of it and make each helping of tea last longer)
quantity: 8-10 grams (3 spoonfuls, at least with the spoons at my house)
steeping times:

1st steeping: 15 seconds
2nd steeping: 12 seconds
3rd steeping: 30 seconds
4th steeping: 50 seconds
5th steeping: 1.5 minutes
6th steeping: 2.5 minutes
7th steeping: 5 minutes
8th steeping: 10-15 minutes
9th steeping: 1 hour
10th steeping: >1 hour

if you are on a budget, you can a little less tea (2 spoonfuls, or about 5-7 grams) but the tea will be lighter and won't give you as many steepings. if you do it this way, the steeping times are as follows
1st steeping: 30-50 seconds
2nd steeping: 20 seconds
3rd steeping: 45 seconds
4th steeping: 1 minute 20 seconds
5th steeping: 2 minutes 20 seconds
6th steeping: 4 minutes
7th steeping: 10 minutes
8th steeping: 30-60 minutes

Green_Pine

Darjeeling, unequivocally.

On that note, I think some green teas with a hint of certain fruit juices taste good.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Depending on the tea and how I'm brewing it, sometimes I go for multiple steepings too... but like 2 or 3, not 10. :)

Yesterday I got some of this:
Rishi China Breakfast Tea
It's quite good, and filled the "regular old black tea" gap. The Rishi Earl Grey is also quite good, but I didn't buy it.

Pinker85

Been drinking tea made out of fresh ginger sliced thinly, dried peppermint, and pinch of turmeric. The ginger according to Ayurveda stimulates agni (digestive fire) while peppermint is considered balancing for all doshas and the turmeric is good for mucus build up and helps digestion. While I don't really buy into the hocus pocus aspects of Ayurveda and similar holistic alternative medicine modalities I do think they had it right about some of this stuff (possibly not for the reasons they thought it worked) and I base this on anecdotal evidence (what works).

It also tastes really good!!

I like a quarter of the contents from a green cardamom pod, a few strings of saffron, 5-6 fennel seeds, and the smallest snippet of a vanilla bean steeped in hot water at night as it helps me relax.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tried twinings brand for the first time - heard they were one of the better ones that are available here. It was a fortune compared to my usual tea, maybe 2-3 times more expensive! I bought their variety pack since it included lady grey and irish breakfast blends which I haven't tried since I don't see them sold individually (in the grocery store at least, I'm sure tea shops would have them) as well as my two perennial favourites, english breakfast and earl grey.

impressions:
-irish breakfast seems similar to english breakfast, but distinuishable. tasty.
-earl grey is much more bergamot-y than my usual discount brand, which seems to have a stronger "tea" favour. I don't think I like it as much as the discount one, actually!
-lady grey - very tasty! I think I like it the best of the 3 so far. pretty mild tasting but good.

haven't tried their english breakfast yet. 3 cups of tea in a day is enough for me. :laugh: