• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The tea thread

N

NPcomplete

tried twinings brand for the first time - heard they were one of the better ones that are available here. It was a fortune compared to my usual tea, maybe 2-3 times more expensive! I bought their variety pack since it included lady grey and irish breakfast blends which I haven't tried since I don't see them sold individually (in the grocery store at least, I'm sure tea shops would have them) as well as my two perennial favourites, english breakfast and earl grey.

impressions:
-irish breakfast seems similar to english breakfast, but distinuishable. tasty.
-earl grey is much more bergamot-y than my usual discount brand, which seems to have a stronger "tea" favour. I don't think I like it as much as the discount one, actually!
-lady grey - very tasty! I think I like it the best of the 3 so far. pretty mild tasting but good.

haven't tried their english breakfast yet. 3 cups of tea in a day is enough for me. :laugh:

Would you recommend trying the box of assorted flavours then? I've only ever tried Twinnings Jasmine green tea. It was yummy.

Ooh and I tried the chamomile tea. Found it lovely.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
tried twinings brand for the first time - heard they were one of the better ones that are available here. It was a fortune compared to my usual tea, maybe 2-3 times more expensive! I bought their variety pack since it included lady grey and irish breakfast blends which I haven't tried since I don't see them sold individually (in the grocery store at least, I'm sure tea shops would have them) as well as my two perennial favourites, english breakfast and earl grey.

impressions:
-irish breakfast seems similar to english breakfast, but distinuishable. tasty.
-earl grey is much more bergamot-y than my usual discount brand, which seems to have a stronger "tea" favour. I don't think I like it as much as the discount one, actually!
-lady grey - very tasty! I think I like it the best of the 3 so far. pretty mild tasting but good.

haven't tried their english breakfast yet. 3 cups of tea in a day is enough for me. :laugh:

Lady Grey is my favorite kind of tea

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would you recommend trying the box of assorted flavours then? I've only ever tried Twinnings Jasmine green tea. It was yummy.

Ooh and I tried the chamomile tea. Found it lovely.

It was pretty good! I don't know if I like it "more enough" to be worth paying so much more per bag, but it's nice for a change/treat. It's also a nice way to try different flavours without buying a box of everything.

N

NPcomplete

It was pretty good! I don't know if I like it "more enough" to be worth paying so much more per bag, but it's nice for a change/treat. It's also a nice way to try different flavours without buying a box of everything.

Ha yes that's why I'm tempted to try this one. It's so expensive although Shoppers sometimes has it on sale. So I'll buy it then.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just got a large pu-erh cake for $12. it was supposed to be $28, but it was labeled wrong so I got it for the original price. hahaha! :devil:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh I went to a catfish resteraunt yesterday for lunch and order sweet tea, forgot how good sweet tea is. I also got catfish,fries, fried okra, and hushpuppies

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to start drinking Holy Basil (Tulsi) tea.

just got a large pu-erh cake for $12. it was supposed to be $28, but it was labeled wrong so I got it for the original price. hahaha! :devil:

I want to try that tea. I hear good things about it. How much was in the cake?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

As an update, I liked the second cups of both lady and regular earl grey WAY better than the first time! Not sure why, maybe increased familiarity or just a different mood. Still haven't tried the english breakfast. I think I'll buy Twinings again though (occasionally for a treat, otherwise I'll bankrupt myself), even though it is super expensive.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an update, I liked the second cups of both lady and regular earl grey WAY better than the first time! Not sure why, maybe increased familiarity or just a different mood. Still haven't tried the english breakfast. I think I'll buy Twinings again though (occasionally for a treat, otherwise I'll bankrupt myself), even though it is super expensive.

I think if I ever move back to Canada I will be buying either Twinings, or tea from speciality shops, or both. English tea is just...so good. It really is. ;) Tea is one of the very few food/drink things I've become a slight snob about. Like cheese, I do think it's worth paying a bit more for something better if you enjoy it.

My mom is a massive tea drinker. Oddly, she is FInnish, though she has now lived in Canada well more than half her life - I say "oddly" because the Finns traditionally drink enormous amounts of coffee, but she doesn't touch it and adores tea. She said she got turned onto tea when she lived in England as a student and when first married to my dad - because of the chilly weather! She bought Twinings sometimes but I think also found it expensive in Canada. In England, it's kind of in the middle - not one of the cheaper teas, but there are many that are more expensive, too.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
accepting applications

abDGb.jpg

by Heidi Burton

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I should give rooibos another drink. I wasn't a fan of it the first time I had it.

I have never heard of that! What is it like?

It was recommended to me by a local herbalist who has a couple of herbal studies schools on both coasts and written a few books.... I took an aromatherapy class from her too. It was fun. I just started drinking this one yesterday.

http://organicindiausa.com/_product_5837/Original_Tulsi_Tea

It tastes kind of spicy, like cardamom and cinnamon and peppery. I like it. I had a cup this morning and I already feel calm. :coffee:

I'm more anxious to get a hold of the dry herb and steep it myself. I just haven't been to the herb store yet.
I think if I ever move back to Canada I will be buying either Twinings, or tea from speciality shops, or both. English tea is just...so good. It really is. ;) Tea is one of the very few food/drink things I've become a slight snob about. Like cheese, I do think it's worth paying a bit more for something better if you enjoy it.

Absolutely. I feel the same way. I'm not sure if I've had Twinnings before. I think I have seen that around here. I have a box of Yorkshire Gold though.

:wubbie:

My new avatar?

N

NPcomplete

Earl Grey is brilliant. And oh you can make your own London Fog with it. http://breweddaily.com/2009/01/homemade-london-fog-tea-latte/
:)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Earl Grey is brilliant. And oh you can make your own London Fog with it. http://breweddaily.com/2009/01/homemade-london-fog-tea-latte/
:)

What's funny is you can't get London Fogs in London...or if you can, they're called something else...but I haven't come across it.

By the way, is the London Fog a relatively new thing? When I went home to Canada for a visit in June of this year, I hadn't been back for two and a half years. I came across the London Fog in various coffee shops and it was new to me. Someone told me that they thought it had been around when they were younger, but I really didn't think so (unless it was a really really really long time ago and it's been resurrected) and wondered if they were thinking of something else. Anyway, it seemed to be all over the coffee shops on the West Coast when I was there, it was new to me and I really liked it! I think over here in the UK they'd think you were a bit weird if you asked for milky Earl Grey with a shot of vanilla (or something like that.)

N

NPcomplete

What's funny is you can't get London Fogs in London...or if you can, they're called something else...but I haven't come across it.

By the way, is the London Fog a relatively new thing? When I went home to Canada for a visit in June of this year, I hadn't been back for two and a half years. I came across the London Fog in various coffee shops and it was new to me. Someone told me that they thought it had been around when they were younger, but I really didn't think so (unless it was a really really really long time ago and it's been resurrected) and wondered if they were thinking of something else. Anyway, it seemed to be all over the coffee shops on the West Coast when I was there, it was new to me and I really liked it! I think over here in the UK they'd think you were a bit weird if you asked for milky Earl Grey with a shot of vanilla (or something like that.)

Haha I don't know the exact story but there are some rumours that it was created in Vancouver. It's not really clear when though, so I don't know. My first experience was in a Second Cup and it was so delish I had to look it up. :)

This link <http://www.ehow.com/how_2307331_mix-1960s-london-fog.html> talks about mixing a 1960's London Fog which is a cocktail... :shock:

Aaah I want to try all the variations of the London Fog now.. <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:London_Fog> Maui Fog, yes please!!! :drool:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rooibos is the best I've had.

It's from Africa.

rooibos is great for later in the evening because it doesn't have caffeine. a friend of mine somehow developed a strong allergic reaction caffeine (like, she would eat a chocolate chip cookie and get a headache, it's awful really). she used to be a big fan of green tea and that was the hardest part for her to give up, so I recommended rooibos to her instead and she says she likes it =)