• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hair analysis to determine changes to diet to control mood - Thoughts?

RiftsWRX

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
So my Therapist (who's worked wonders for me), has a colleague who does hair analysis and has done his own research on how mineral balance directly affects mood and emotional state.

She's done such a good job for me so far in the last month that I'm very tempted to pay the money for the test ($250) and see if diet and a more wholistic approach will help my anxiety and other demons.

Anyone have any input on this?

Malter Institute

á´…eparted

passages
Instant bad response to this. It reeks of "new age health" which is almost always a scam. Looking further, it shows that it is. He states on his page "In February, 2003, Dr. Rick Malter published The Strands of Health". Doesn't say what journal, doesn't provide a link, doesn't give any other information. Meaning? It's bullshit.

On his info it states: "In 1971, Dr. Rick Malter earned a Ph.D. in Education and School Psychology from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign". He is a Dr. but NOT and MD, and there is a BIG BIG BIG difference between the two. Even then, his credentials don't even come close to applying! What an asshole.

Don't waste your money on this BS. This is nothing more than wasteful "feel good" stuff that has no substance. Ugh, I can't stand these kinds of people.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I wouldn't do it. There was a study done back in the late 70s where hair samples from a single individual were sent to multiple labs and each lab got wildly different results. Hair analysis is considered unreliable and inaccurate.

Commercial Hair Analysis: A Cardinal Sign of Quackery

I'd use the money to buy this book instead:

Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat

I'd also browse some of the anxiety forums on the net (niacinamide seems to be a popular vitamin that people take). If you think the anxiety might be related to early childhood trauma, ask your therapist if he can do some EMDR (a technique developed in the late 80s for quickly eliminating trauma).