• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bike helmets for adults

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
yes. Riding with helmet is mandatory in Finland, tho there is no punishment set from not riding with one, except perhaps in a case of health insurance disputes (the insurance company would try to talk out of insurance coverage, or try to reduce the amount of paid, if the driver in a cycle accident wasn't driving as the law dictates)

I use the helmet for maybe 80% of my trips with a bike, and I like having one with me. I drive slower when I don't have one.

When I do have one, I usually ride at the maximum speed allowed for vehicles in some congested areas of my town, which is a ridiculous 30km/h .. 20mph:shock:

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Never, ever, ever, ever, EVER put your noggin in danger. Never. NEVER!
:)

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
yay it's very important. If you commute by bike and/or regularly ride long distances you will understand why. There are a lot of dangerous and near-miss situations, especially if you are navigating heavy rush-hour traffic.

Personally I have had several serious accidents already, at one time I was approaching a busy intersection on a bike path seperate from the road at about 20 mph. My attention was focused on the cars to my left, to see which ones would make a right turn and cross my path. Because of this I did not notice another byciclist coming out of a another bike path to my right that was hidden by some bushes. He sudddenly was directly in front of me and I crashed into him almost at full speed. I was catapulted over the handle bar, met the ground with my hands and tried to roll over, however the force of impact was too great and so I smashed on my shoulder and then on my head. I did suffer injuries of course, such as a dislocated shoulder, however without a helmet I would probably have cracked my skull open and might have been killed. (thankfully I was immediatly surrounded by about half a dozen people, one of which was a doctor, in addition to an ambulance which was also present at the intersection lol.)

I was also hit by cars on several occasions, though thankfully at low speeds so nothing serious happened. The point is though, that on a bike the risk of being involved in a serious accident is very high, and a helmet is absolutely not optional.

Last edited:

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Absolutely and without fail, a helmet when riding, yes.

cheers,
Ian

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Riding at night or next to high traffic areas: yea.

Riding in a neighborhood or on a track: nay.

oasispaw

MBTI Type
isfj
i hope he doesn't mind me quoting it, but...

Senator Prozanski, to quote you from bikeportland.org:

"I guess maybe as I get older, I feel there are certain things we can do that enhance safety but at the same time not be over-burdening."

Your age or feelings are irrelevant to protecting the life and liberty of the people of Oregon.

Have you researched the *real effects* of mandatory helmet laws? There is no clear consensus that they are beneficial and there is actually plenty of evidence that they cause greater harm than good. They reduce the amount of cycling people do, which is the last thing we need right now considering the issues of global warming, traffic congestion, and obesity. Moreover, they promote the idea that cycling is dangerous -- it is not. Cycling is no more dangerous than walking or driving a car. Why don't we try requiring pedestrians and car drivers to wear helmets?

And don't you think our police already have enough ways to harass and inconvenience average people? Why should they focus on something that has been shown to be quite harmless instead of fighting crime?

It's also detestable that you are relying on the ignorance of the general public to get this passed. It's clear that you have not studied the issue in depth, and it's certainly common sense to assume that the average Oregonian has not either. From personal experience, I know that most cyclists are even ignorant of bicycle helmet statistics and studies. So why would you provide an opportunity for voters -- most of whom do not cycle much, many not at all -- to cause harm and curtail personal liberty in the name of paranoia and ignorance? This is tyranny of the majority, plain and simple.

We don't need you to harm and harass us with your misguided notions of protection. We don't need you to impose your ignorance upon us. Please inform yourself. Here are some good places to start:

Do helmets save lives? | Life and style | The Guardian

Why I Am Opposed to Mandatory Helmet Laws

Bicycle helmet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you

what are your thoughts on this, folks???

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nay.

If you want to then by all means do, if you don't want to well, then, you have every right to put the safety of your head at risk.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Bike helmets are mandatory where I live.

I'm pro-helmets. I'd have a few less friends without them. I've seen their helmets after their crashes - they would either have been killed or ended up with brain damage without them. Some of their crashes were on roads, some were on tracks in the forest.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Absolutely and without fail, a helmet when riding, yes.

To be clear, when I said this I meant what I value in terms of what I would choose for myself.

I wish all people to be safe and well when riding bicycles - but as it concerns a helmet when riding, may they choose in accordance with their own values as it concerns their persons.

I do not value the use of law, coercion, or force to make them wear a helmet.

cheers,
Ian

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They aren't mandatory here if you're over 18.

I never wear mine anymore (I think I lost it actually). I really should buy a helmet though, I know it's terrible not to wear one and I feel like a moron every time I think of it. I've never been in a crash but I guess the first time might be the fatal one.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't think bikes wore helmets.

(Okay, that was a bad joke.)

I think all helmets are stupid.

The difference between riding a bike wearing or not wearing a helmet is said to be merely the difference between an open or closed casket.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
said by whom?

I think I read an article one time that wearing a helmet ultimately doesn't make a difference...although this was mostly referring to motorcycle riders.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I read an article one time that wearing a helmet ultimately doesn't make a difference...although this was mostly referring to motorcycle riders.

Um, everything I've seen (and was presented in my MSF course) certainly indicated that motorcycle helmets are flat-out life savers. There is a limit, however, to how much it can help you with a motorcycle--if you hit a concrete wall at 100MPH, for instance, helmet or not you're fucked.

I've also read reasonable testimony to the effectiveness of motorcycle gear (specially-padded/fabric'd jackets, gloves, boots & pants) in a crash.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I realize that my noggin could get bumped, but most of the time I don't bother wearing the brain bucket. Occasionally I'll remember, but not wearing it has become a habit.

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
They've been compulsory down here for a long time. I used to commute using a bicycle and do long distance touring.

I got concussion once when I was run off the road by a car side-swiping me when I was riding to University. I ended up with numerous lumps/bruises/grazes. But the only permanent thing has been tinnitus (very mild ringing in ears) long term. The old fashioned little padded leather straps "cyclist helmet" I wore saved me quite a bit of surface injury. Yet I've got this constant little reminder of my misadventure.

Dying isn't the issue for me, the bigger worry would be brain damage that impacted my ability to live independently. Then it becomes a cost to the community or your family (or worse, you are stuck without either!) I've seen enough of that with a few people I went to school with who injured themselves horse riding/cycling/skateboarding.

Also I used to ride a motorbike and through my club we used to visit injured motorbikers - sometimes the only thing unbruised/broken was their heads (that were in helmets).