• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

5k Run

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Classmate was talking about my running needs to be worked on (a joke because I was heading towards the restroom)
When I mentioned that I've been running close to two miles on most days to the classmate, he asked me why I was running so much.
Told him I am exercising for health reasons.
He told me that I should prepare for the 5k run that was coming up for some motivations... seeing as I am already heading towards that direction.

Thing is, I haven't really prepared for it. I can probably get close to jogging 3 miles by the end of the month, but for some people, jogging the 5k run takes months in advanced, and it has only been a few weeks since I started retraining. I've never done a 5k run outside of a treadmill (these days I go outside for running because I can do 3 miles of running/walking a lot easily than staring at a timer.)

Think I can prepare myself for the 5k run by the end of the month? I'll probably be around the 25minute mark or something if I do try.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Are you training on an incline when you use the treadmill? If it's your first race, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that while most of the other racers will be able to tell it's your first time, they'll be pretty supportive and non-judgemental of you competing. All you really need to focus on is just yourself :) I wouldn't worry too much about how many other months it might take people to build up to 5km. You've already been clocking the distance during the week, which usually has a very positive impact on race day. Take running or jog breaks while running if you need it, but your body already knows what to do. Just let it do its thing!

Do you have a specific race strategy, or are you going to play it by ear? Is it on the road or trail?

gromit

likes this
If you are consistently running 2 miles, you can almost definitely do a 5k. This isn't hard-and-fast obviously, but I think you should be fine.

How old are you, if you don't mind?

gromit

likes this
Also, worst case is you have to stop and walk a bit during the race. That's totally fine.

I think you'll find come race day that the adrenaline carries you through though.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] I'm 25

the 5k run event passed already, but I can definitely continue running 5k without it.

Running seems to come naturally for me it seems (the running, not the pacing though, which I am learning to do.)

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] I'm 25

the 5k run event passed already, but I can definitely continue running 5k without it.

Running seems to come naturally for me it seems (the running, not the pacing though, which I am learning to do.)
:doh: didn't check the date of the original post!

Cool yeah you should for def keep going. And FYI there are usually tons of 5Ks - almost one every weekend - in and around major cities. There are also often pub runs on weekday afternoons/evenings, where everyone runs the 5K and then grabs a drink.

If you've never run in a race you should do it. It's a cool experience :)

Ingrid in grids

You should check out the Couch to 5k running program (C25K for short). It's an interval training program designed to get totally new runners or inactive people running 5km in 9 weeks. You can download C25K apps on your phone which will tell you when to run or walk while you're listening to music.

Given you're already running, you wouldn't gain much from doing the earlier weeks. Just skip to the later weeks and you'd be able to build up to 5km quite soon.

I've used C25K a number of times when I've stopped running for a couple of months and needed to build back up. There's other programs for longer distances as well, e.g., C28K, C210K, etc.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should check out the Couch to 5k running program (C25K for short). It's an interval training program designed to get totally new runners or inactive people running 5km in 9 weeks. You can download C25K apps on your phone which will tell you when to run or walk while you're listening to music.

Given you're already running, you wouldn't gain much from doing the earlier weeks. Just skip to the later weeks and you'd be able to build up to 5km quite soon.

I've used C25K a number of times when I've stopped running for a couple of months and needed to build back up. There's other programs for longer distances as well, e.g., C28K, C210K, etc.

:laugh: I did actually looked at that when I started rerunning again. But I ended up just ignoring it and sought to find my correct pace at running a long distance. I can run and walk long distance, I was just really bad at pacing myself.

I mean, my best mile time at high school was 6:17... but that was because I made sure the person in front of me stayed in front of me. :D

I was trying to find resources, a month back for running long distances and I found running for distance and running for speed. Learning to pace was good for distance running, but running for intervals tend to help with speed (both gradually work out both pacing and speed.)

I can pace myself for pretty long distances now.