• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you work out/devote a lot of time to your appearance? If so, why?

Why do you put so much effort into your appearance

• You want to attract members of the opposite sex

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Social prestige/ you want to be socially popular

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • For health reasons

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Because you work a job that requires you to

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I just work out because I enjoy playing sports

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

Permabanned
^wHY Is thERe nO oPtion named: "I'm too awesome to need effort" ??!11oneoeneleven

Ingrid in grids

Other: 1) Mood benefits, 2) Improves my relationship with my body 3) Habit, 4) Identity
I realise that some of these may fall under some of of the other listed reasons, particularly "health reasons", but I felt the "other" category was the better fit here.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Other: 1) Mood benefits, 2) Improves my relationship with my body 3) Habit, 5) Identity
I realise that some of these may fall under some of of the other listed reasons, particularly "health reasons", but I felt the "other" category was the better fit here.

I think something just broke in my brain, it sounded like glass falling :shock:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anaerobic to deal with stress and improve my self-image and cognition.

Pretty much this.

I definitely started out from a purely vain POV (not that there's anything wrong with that, unless you let it go to your head). I wanted manly pectoral muscles to attract ladeez. It worked.

Now, I've been pretty comfortable with my body the last 5 years, so I mostly do it for a stress buster, feel good chemicals, relaxed state afterward, and a clear, grounded head.

W

WhoCares

Haven't been good to myself for a while owing to stupid levels of fatigue from shift work, time zone changes and the inability to be awake when supermarkets are open. Just started up daily Yoga again, not for any reason other than I like it and I feel better but if health happens too then that's cool.

Couldn't give a fuck whether or not I am attractive to the opposite sex to be perfectly honest, thats what 20's women waste their time doing. So saying that my job requires high levels of grooming which is why I take every opportunity to spend a day without tedious levels of makeup application and hair coiffing.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I answered "health" because that's my primary reason for exercising. I have a congenital heart arrhythmia. And walking is totally exercise [MENTION=20005]Noll[/MENTION]! :nice: It's good stuff. Even just strolling is good. I have a Withings Pulse (kind of like a Fitbit) that I wear every day, and I am trying to ramp up to where I take 10K steps a day, with about 20-30 minutes of it brisk walking. I'm consistently getting 6K or more, but I rarely hit 10K. I also try to do something active every weekend with my family (hiking, Frisbee, biking, bocce, swimming, whatever we all feel like doing).

Even though health is my top reason for exercising I also do it for mood elevation, to promote good sleep, to manage my weight (along with watching how much I eat but still making sure I get enough) and so on. Although, I guess all that stuff is related to health.

Mole

Permabanned
Exercise and the Libido

Exercise increases the libido.

So I don't exercise to be sexually attractive, I exercise to feel my own sexuality more and more deeply, then I share it with others.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started formal exercising when in college, and at that time my primary reason was, I think, the being-attractive-to-opposite-sex element. Also, linked to that I suppose, my liking how I look when I'm fit and slender. And, it was also a bit of a social thing, at the time... something most of the students did, and so I'd go to the gym with friends, usually.

Since then, it's been a continuation of the habit. Also, after college, I a) had a job at a national park briefly, and was impressed with a couple in their 60's/70's who were leading hikes, and very fit for their age, and I wanted to try to do everything in my power to be like them if I reached their age; and b)I watched as my parents grew older and became much less fit, less mobile, and I wanted to try to avoid that.

And, over the years, I've realized that I have come to really really enjoy being active, and I 'need' it in a sense (to the point of my dreading the possibility of something happening to my body such that I'm no longer able to do it - being stuck in a chair or bed would be really really depressing for me). Many of my hobbies are active (though, aren't team sports, they're solitary). It also really impacts my emotional state in a positive way. So, it's pretty important at this point on a number of levels.

I guess it started out as a few reasons, and has branched into a lot.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Primarily for health reasons -- in my 20's and early 30's I used to play a lot of volleyball, but life sort of got in the way of that, and I just sort of transitioned into working out at home - which became terribly boring after a few years. Most of my hobbies tend to be both solitary and sedentary, so without some effort I could easily see myself slipping into unhealthy habits. These days I put a lot of effort into eating healthy, and go to the gym 3 times a week. As such I'm reasonably healthy for someone my age, which is really the primary reason I do it.

Of course, I'd also prefer to be seen as attractive (I'm not, really - but I am "fit", which is something), and I do enjoy getting out of the house and seeing people outside of work -- the gym's as good a place as any for that. I do enjoy sports, but it's not something that I've really done much lately -- but I do have the option, which is another plus.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really, there's no point in trying to dress nice or have a nice body because of how repellent my face is, so I really don't care. If I had a nice face, I definitely would be wearing really nice clothes and trying to get a kickass body..

W

WhoCares

Just wanted to add that when I reached 40, I suddenly started to notice old people a lot more. And as I watched them and saw most of them were in pain or at the very least severe inconvenience physically it has really given me a kick up the ass with regards to health. I have no intention of needing a walker,wheelchair or a sack full of medications when I am that age. Under 30yrs and old people are largely invisible to you or even if you do notice them you arrogantly think that somehow this will never be you. Middle age is sobering to the reality that everyone ages and the best you can do is maintain fitness and vitality throughout your life to lessen any kind of incapacity later in life. Inspirational people to me are those in their 50 s and 60's who really shine with vitality. It is possible to be vibrant and active at every age but you cant wait until you've lost some capacity to get there.

The other sobering event was a repetitive strain injury, it taught me I wasn't impervious and if I didnt want to lose my job and enjoyment of life I had better stop dicking around and get on with looking after this physical unit. Now feeling vibrant and alive with a full functioning body is my major goal.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just wanted to add that when I reached 40, I suddenly started to notice old people a lot more. And as I watched them and saw most of them were in pain or at the very least severe inconvenience physically it has really given me a kick up the ass with regards to health. I have no intention of needing a walker,wheelchair or a sack full of medications when I am that age. Under 30yrs and old people are largely invisible to you or even if you do notice them you arrogantly think that somehow this will never be you. Middle age is sobering to the reality that everyone ages and the best you can do is maintain fitness and vitality throughout your life to lessen any kind of incapacity later in life. Inspirational people to me are those in their 50 s and 60's who really shine with vitality. It is possible to be vibrant and active at every age but you cant wait until you've lost some capacity to get there.

The other sobering event was a repetitive strain injury, it taught me I wasn't impervious and if I didnt want to lose my job and enjoyment of life I had better stop dicking around and get on with looking after this physical unit. Now feeling vibrant and alive with a full functioning body is my major goal.

Sorry to hear re. your earlier strain injury.

I couldn't agree more with your post.

Bullet

I've done weight training regularly for years. Unfortunately, my job restricts this to three days a week at the moment. I like to be physically fit and strong. Most of my cardio is performed while playing sports. I hate the treadmill, but I'm a beast on the glute machine; did 8 reps of 150 lbs on each leg today, which is all the weight on the machine (a new record for me). The hardest part is not the exercise and discipline, but the dietary requirements to build muscle and stay healthy. Protein shakes taste like shit.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I do (exercise regurarly) as to keep in contact with the real world, not to indulge myself in laziness and my mind. I lose myself too easily. I never was a physical person, I never did like sports. But I find it's good to have healthy routines, you could say I do it for health reasons. If you're anything like me, it's important to force yourself to do these things. Exercise is good for your mind and body.

Noon

I've had to start again :[

I don't think of myself as being too impressive-looking to begin with, so impressing others is rarely a priority of mine. Too much softness / "puffiness" bothers me though, a lot, especially if it's my stomach or my legs.

I admire athletic women like Sofia Boutella (white hoodie) and Allyson Felix (far right):

QKTf9SA.png

and on an admittedly more shallow level, Alana Blanchard:

The distinction between staying active and working out I draw as the former being about fun and health versus the latter being like a chore at the worst. Iow, I'd go without workouts if I could (lol and I have been). My BF% is too high right now though; my thighs are 19" and my waist is 25" - but I am annoyingly soft. My ideal is 24" waist and maybe 17" thighs? And firm / lean. Then I'll be back to doing only what I want for fun.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm not into working out. i'm luckily pretty naturally thin, and i prefer being softer and curvier over muscular and athletic :shrug:.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm not into working out. i'm luckily pretty naturally thin, and i prefer being softer and curvier over muscular and athletic :shrug:.