• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you work out/devote a lot of time to your appearance? If so, why?

Why do you put so much effort into your appearance

• You want to attract members of the opposite sex

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Social prestige/ you want to be socially popular

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • For health reasons

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Because you work a job that requires you to

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I just work out because I enjoy playing sports

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I never exercise but I take long walks daily. I care greatly for my hair, skin and teeth. That's it and I'm not particularly good-looking, though people have told me otherwise I might say. I think I'm far too skinny to be generally attractive, my BMI is 16-something. But I've been thinking of starting lifting weights, but I do not wish to be supermuscly. I just imagine it making my posture better, which I want. I find skinny guys the most attractive.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not very athletic by nature. i do yoga, but have fallen out of it recently. no matter what, if i'm physically sedentary for too long, i get the itch to move. it feels good to be active and moving, to have natural energy and feel strong.

i care about my appearance, but spend a very minimal amount of time on it. i like picking out clothes that i feel good in, but in general i'm pretty lax with that kinda stuff. the fewer regimens, the better.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I exercise for good health. Men have been sexually attracted to me even when I was more voluptuous. I have the sort of figure where a certain kind of man likes my body even when I am less thin. I suppose I am lucky in that regard, but frankly I would rather decrease a bra size or two for better health and mobility. I am outdoorsy, do yoga, and walk a lot, and used to dance, so having extra weight actually simply doesn't feel as good to me. I feel freer when I am leaner. So I have reached the point in life where my weight is more about health, for sure. I have always been active by nature though because of my disposition, since childhood, except for periods of depression.

I have taken care of my looks also to make money and attract the opposite sex.

I am not super high maintenance though. I don't have time for that bullshit.

I'm curious as to what you look like now. Do have a picture?

I work out and put effort into my appearance and social skills in order to score high on the pecking order.

That doesn't mean that I want to be popular or pick up women. I'm an introvert and like my time alone. But when I do get out and socialize, I want to hang with the alpha dogs rather than the folks at the bottom of the pecking order.

I suspect a lot of INFPs tend to score low on the pecking order by default and/or hang with the outcasts. I did that as a youngster; I took pride in being odd man out or feigning indifference to social conventions. But eventually I noticed that I didn't really respect the caliber of people I was hanging out with. So I tried pushing back at people higher up the pecking order and working my way up the ladder a bit. And I liked the result.

Nowadays I enjoy interacting with the alpha dogs in any social group. It means standing your ground and having confidence that you're up to it, IOW, that you look good, have comebacks for whatever they throw at you, etc. I know some people will ridicule this line of thinking. But having experienced both ends of the pecking order, I definitely like the top ranks: The stakes are higher, the people are more interesting, the interactions quicker, etc.

So for purposes of the poll I checked "Social prestige/ you want to be socially popular." I don't necessarily want to be popular, but I want the ego gratification and social enjoyment of being one of the alpha dogs when I interact with people.

So you do it just for 3ish reasons then? You do it just to be higher up on the social food chain?

Anaerobic to deal with stress and improve my self-image and cognition.

Yeah that's true. Working out, definitely helps to handle stress.

Work out?Hell no!(haha that Se stereotype is a bunch of bull crap)

I do the unhealthy thing and starve/binge in order to keep myself at my ideal weight because I am far too lazy to exercise but I care about my appearance.
It'll probably be bad for me in the long run in some way I suppose, but it works for me right now and I'll deal with the consequences when I'm old.
I do so in order to attract a mate above all and partly because I want to appear beautiful/aesthetically admirable to others.

Hey well at least you're honest. lol, do you purge too? I hope not.

childofprodigy

I don't really spend that much time working out/exercise etc mostly because I don't really need to since I have a naturally well-built, tall, athletic/masculine-looking, fairly muscular body structure even if I don't exercise...I naturally produce a lot of testosterone even without excercise...

Plus I'm usually too busy with my money-making activities to go around hitting the gym...when I do hit the gym it's mostly for entertainment purposes rather than trying to tone my already naturally well-toned body....

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I devote an excessive amount of time, but I do yoga/pilates regularly & try to eat healthy, and I'm more than willing to spend money on stuff like my hair & pedicures. I put a lot of effort into keeping my skin clear too (because it requires a lot of effort).

For me, it's really about maintaining a "canvas". I want to be able to wear the clothes I want, which is a great variety of styles. Being thin & in-shape more easily allows for that. Since it's my natural body type, it's not too difficult to maintain. My motivation here is more of creative self-expression and plain ol' fun. I enjoy fashion & makeup & don't want to be limited because I "let myself go". Of course, I like to feel attractive, but it's not my main motivation, or else I'd probably be less arty/boho/experimental in my style.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've changed my diet and it really works. Not only am I feeling energetic, but my skin is also clearing up.

I go for walks, maybe lift when I feel motivated, but I don't really care about being healthy.

Yep, my motivations are just to attract the opposite sex.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I work out every day, I read book by book, solve equation by equation and invent inventions by inventions. And I do it all for the opposite sex ! Success ? Cant tell... Workout is a lie !

gromit

likes this
Just coming back from an injury for almost 2 months with rehab and GOD it feels awesome to not have to hold back...

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I watch my calorie intake and alternate between cardio and abs workouts. I don't go to a gym anymore, it freaked me out having other guys stare at my body while i was working out. I do exercises at home now and jog, which is fine, as long as you have the discipline.

Part of the reason I'm doing it is to prevent my depression from getting worse, and burn off the stress I get from my work. I also find getting out into quiet, attractive environments gives me ideas for composition. But I have to admit that most of this is about trying to appear more attractive to women. You can't expect to get hot girls if you aren't attractive yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I work out and put effort into my appearance and social skills in order to score high on the pecking order.

That doesn't mean that I want to be popular or pick up women. I'm an introvert and like my time alone. But when I do get out and socialize, I want to hang with the alpha dogs rather than the folks at the bottom of the pecking order.

Lmao. That's pathetic.

Anyway, I work out because I enjoy the rush of endorphines and I enjoy feeling strong, being able to lift heavy stuff, having the endurance required to climb a mountain, and so on.
That's not pathetic. You trying to cut him down is pathetic. Why are you compelled to do that should be your bigger concern.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That's not pathetic. You trying to cut him down is pathetic. Why are you compelled to do that should be your bigger concern.

Well, if FDG is cutting FLD down thats a highlight. Do you know anything about the world ?

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyway, exercise is so much fun..and is rewarding much more than what females might come aling because of physique. It's better to be happy than place conditional approval in the hands of another.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Anyway, exercise is so much fun..and is rewarding much more than what females might come aling because of physique. It's better to be happy than place conditional approval in the hands of another.

You really know nothing about the world

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, if FDG is cutting FLD down thats a highlight. Do you know anything about the world ?

Do I sense you might be saying they do so often?

Well..to answer your question I have much to do in the world and mostly don't peruse here. Like some do apparently all the time.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Dude like every time you message me you are wasted. Please stop.

I am perfectly sober, you just didnt get the joke, because you dont know the world of sportaholics. Sportaholics cut everything down in abbreviations and therefore fdg bashing fld is a perfect joke.

Dont judge about things you do not know.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I started working out about six weeks ago. Not a lot. Like, 30 mins cardio most days. Recently added a little bit of weight stuff on the machines. I don't really enjoy it but I don't hate it as long as I've got something to read. I feel better, though. I'm not constantly sleepy like I was before and I feel a little stronger.

Turns out it only costs $46/mo for our whole family at the Y.

I've also cut way down on meat consumption and increased fresh fruits/veggies. That's been pretty good, too, except for some bloating. Hoping that will go away with time.

It's still mostly about how I look. Feeling better is a nice bonus. It's only about my mate in that I'm his gym buddy. He hasn't ever fussed about my weight one way or the other.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't devote much time or energy or money into some things--like make-up, clothing, and jewelry.

I do devote a lot of energy and money into things like cosmetic products like soaps, lotions, conditioners, etc. Though these are for a combination of convenience and ever-changing moral standings and health reasons. Convenience being at the top.

I change how much energy I spend exercising.. but I do exercise for three major reasons: most and foremost my health itself (my whole family is overweight, pretty sick all the time, and has a slew of health problems.. I'd like to be the first in my family to stop that chain of events as much as possible), to be attractive (I find myself being skinny, flabby, and just generally unattractive when I do not work out.. while this is KIND of to attract the opposite sex, I definitely have my own opinion there on what I 'should' look like regardless of if men actually like that or not), and because spiritually I feel better and more in tune with my body when I exercise.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I work on my appearance to feel good about myself. Wearing particular clothes makes me happy, etc.

That said, it is embarrassing when someone cute comes by and I'm not on top of my game. :blush:

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
N/A
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why is there no option that is named "I don't care what others think, only my family and close friends matter and they shouldn't care what I look like"?