• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Placenta Eating?

V

violaine

Hmm, yeah, I've heard stories about post-partum depression, and it sounds terrifying. I've heard that if you've experienced depression in the past, it makes you more likely to develop PPD?

I haven't investigated it thoroughly, I don't know.

I must say, my friend's artwork is pretty confronting, lol. It looks so cutesy, the image of two hearts, but it was painted using her placentas. :rofl1: I think it's pretty cool.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I must say, my friend's artwork is pretty confronting, lol. It looks so cutesy, the image of two hearts, but it was painted using her placentas. :rofl1: I think it's pretty cool.

yeah, whoa. placenta artwork?! :shock:

i think i feel less weird about the idea of eating it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so

yeah, whoa. placenta artwork?! :shock:

i think i feel less weird about the idea of eating it.

5248229.jpg

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ok that's too much for me man! that's like bio matter. is it preserved?! seriously cannot believe this is a thing.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
haha, it's so funny and interesting to me the placenta becomes a metaphor for people to express/preserve the sentimentality of giving birth. but hey, different strokes for different folks.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha, it's so funny and interesting to me the placenta becomes a metaphor for people to express/preserve the sentimentality of giving birth. but hey, different strokes for different folks.

oh yeah, the placenta is a total thing. i know some native american tribes buried it in a place that symbolized what they wanted their child's work to be in. (like burying it under some cows if they wanted him to work with cows or whatever) that goes back to what lexicon said about people's beliefs in its benefits being based on folklore and not on science. ohh the mystical placenta.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can I just eat some eggs instead? :mellow:

I wouldn't call myself squeamish - fine with my blood, fine with others' blood, fine with big gaping gushing wounds - but the idea of eating that really does not strike my fancy.

The potential depression link is interesting, though. I read an article suggesting PPD could correlate with nutritional deficiencies, maybe placenta consumption would help make up for that?

All the trustworthy-seeming information I could find states that no scientific link has been established to suggest either benefit or harm from it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
OMG! I would have never had a second kid if I'd had to eat my placenta. Maybe not even the first. After I had my second, the doc was all excited about my huge placenta (she said it was probably two pounds) and tried to get my husband to look at it. He about lost it.

It reminds me of this:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I've heard it can be beneficial to eat it if you are vitamin/iron deficient. But, I don't think there is really any benefit you can get from it that wouldn't also come from regular supplements. One of my roommates is planning to eat hers after she has her 4-7 children. :shock: But she's also super into hippy birthing stuff. She plans to have most of her children unassisted at home.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The biggest potential health benefit that a placenta can offer is serving as part of the organ infrastructure needed to harvest embryonic stem cells from the umbilical cord. Immediately after the placenta is delivered the umbilical cord us clamped on both sides (the end connected to baby, and the end connected to the placenta). One of the O.R. nurses then extracts the blood from the umbilical cord with equipment used to perform a blood test. The umbilucal cord is pierced with needle, and the embryonic cord blood then drains through plastic tubing into a special collection bag that contains additives to stabilize the blood and allow it to be FedEx'ed to a facility where it is centrifuged to separate the embryonic stem cells from the plasma. The culture is verified and then immediately placed into cryogenic storage.

It costs about $1,000 for the kit, which you simply bring with you to the hospital when baby is born. The cost of the kit includes the FedEx shipping cost, processing and first year of cryogenic storage. Each year thereafter it costs $100 to store each child's embyonic stem cells at the cryo facility. The stem cells are viable for 20 years, maybe longer. They can be used to treat disease of many kinds now, and far more in the future. If needed embryonic stem cells can be used to treat the child, a sibling or their parents. The immune cells have not developed and there is no risk of rejection.

My wife and I chose to store the embryonic stem cells of both our children. You only have one chance to collect it. And with the arcane and completely ignorant laws limiting stem cell research, it's nice to have a culture you know is compatible, and can thus find a facility with staff who specializes in a given procedure, should the need arise of course. Considering cord blood is thrown away if not utilized by the parents, I think it should be collected for resesrch purposes - as it would end the political squabnles over use of stem cells obtained from aborted fetuses, yet still provide the same high wualith cells at a volume significant enough to greatly benefit research, and to provide more samples that are available for treating those who need them.

:solidarity:

-Halla74