• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

good about going to the doctor?

Good at getting medical help?

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm just curious, are you good about seeing a doctor when you suspect something's wrong. Or not, because you don't want others too worry and think it be just you being paranoid, or if something is wrong you don't want want to know?

This is if money isn't a problem.

edit: I was thinking more along the lines of not a cold, but something more serious. probably should have said that.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, because my experiences in medical places have usually been very unpleasant.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Things like swimmer's ear or poison ivy swelling my eye shut get me to the doc pretty quick. Don't ask about the dentist, though. :peepwall:

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Since nothing is ever wrong with me, outside of things like breaking my arm skiing, I never have a reason to see a doctor.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't go unless I have a problem. Things would be different if I were in Canada and not the US right now. Actually, a Canadian citizenship looks very appealing right now.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I usually try to save up a few things before I go. It just seems inefficient to go for just one thing.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm uninsured, but I have no choice.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm amazed at how many people have an irrational fear of the dentist!
I the only reason I haven't had my mouth worked on in a while is because I can't afford anything. :(

I have impacted wisdoms that really should be removed.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, a dentist DID kill my entire fambly.

Granted, he was a zombie too, but come on!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I the only reason I have had my mouth worked on in a while is because I can't afford anything. :(

Just remember with wisdom teeth removal comes happy drugs. that's what got me excited about getting mine removed. then one side didn't heal quite right so I got more happy drugs. I started with meperghan (if you can get your dentist to give you this accept!) then vicodin (still fun but not meperghan fun, i thought I was a ghost on this)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't usually go for anything but an annual exam, but if something is sufficiently "wrong" with me to warrant medical care, I seek it. I'm fortunate to be insured and have access to midwifery well-woman care which is a good first rung on the care ladder. I had a near-constant heart arrhythmia a little over a year ago and a midwife helped me figure that out by referring me out for a 48 hr. heart monitor and echocardiogram. (It was a benign arrhythmia called premature atrial contractions, which ramped up considerably when I was under some pretty bad stress.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'll probably go for a full physical the year before I'm too old to be on my dad's insurance. but maybe not, as the bill will go to him, and then if something is wrong I'd have to tell them. Kind of the same reason I won't go to a therapist, though I believe I can go to one on campus for free, I might do that.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I the only reason I haven't had my mouth worked on in a while is because I can't afford anything. :(

I'm a part-time dental assistant. :whistling: lol No, I really am.

I get a routine checkup every year. A physical and eye examination. My teeth are cleaned for free in the office. I'm not sick often. I've never had a cavity or a broken bone. I'm fortunate as far as that goes. If I had a serious issue that required medical examination, I'd definitely go.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not too bad at going to the doctor. I have a chronic condition that needs ongoing monitoring and meds, so I have to go every few months in order to stay well enough to work. I've had some severe stress going on in my life and he's helped me a bit with that too.

Dentists. Erm. I'm a tad phobic after a few really bad experiences. I'm several years overdue for that (and I know my teeth aren't in great condition).

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't go unless there's something that is causing a problem AND obviously won't take care of itself. When ill, I've been known to just keep saying "Oh, I'll get better," until I get pneumonia or get better. I also don't usually go for injuries, unless I think I need to have a bone set or get stitches.

Not surprisingly, I treat my car the same way.

I'm also very bad about staying quiet and in bed when sick, but that's a different topic. Somehow I always manage to get sick when I'm on vacation. Once over spring break I got strep throat, but still willed myself to play strip poker and go skinny dipping in the 50 degree lake. Another time, more recently, I got a stomach virus right before going skiing in West Virginia. I spent the first day or two vomiting. Then, weak and dizzy, I went out and hit the slopes. Hmm, not very smart.

I should probably change my behavior, since I do have insurance, and access to the campus health center. I've had some pretty bad scares, too, which you'd think would teach me a lesson.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm good about seeing the dentist. Any discomfort or even pain in the chair sure beats the pain of having any sort of tooth or gum issue.

I'm not as good about seeing the regular doctor. I didn't have insurance for a little while, but when I finally got a new insurance plan, I put off making an appointment for a few months. I have an appointment next Friday, though.

Rainbow Iris

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I go to doctors when I need to, but I’m not good at getting help from them. They make me anxious, and then they often decide I just have anxiety instead of whatever I’m actually there for. Even when I document everything in detail and bring photos of my symptoms, they aren’t always willing to look at them. I usually end up having to solve my own problems at home. It was only recently that I found a decent one who is actually helpful.