• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you interested in a 2014 Exercise [and Diet] Challenge?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is anyone interested in participating in another TypeC Exercise [and Diet] Challenge? The main purpose of the challenge will be to provide incentive to exercise more and eat healthy foods. It'll be a way for us to support and push each other, and share our results.

If you are new to this, you can look at the sticky thread on the top of this subforum to get a rough idea of what to expect. Basically, each person will create some exercise and/or diet goals, share them with everyone, and then post your progress. We may or may not make a contest out of it. That's for us to figure out.

Here are my thoughts so far:
1. We'd start Monday, January 6th or 13th.

2. The challenge would last for 3-6 months.

3. I'd like to keep a list of active participants and update it every month. We can include everyone's progress in a bi-weekly or monthly summary post as well. (If people drop out or have a bad stretch, I'll leave them out. It'll be used strictly to share each other's positive progress.)

4. I'd like to have some sort of specific challenge every 2 weeks to keep things fresh. Participation wouldn't be mandatory. For example, the first one could be "take a multivitamin" or something else very simple. Other 2-week challenges could be like "do some sort of activity for 30 minutes 5 times this week", "keep a food log", etc. I think it would be fun coming up with a list of unique challenges. We might be able to keep track of compliance percentage to make it a bit competitive.

5. People will be free to use the Exercise Challenge subforum to create exercise and diet blogs / progress threads. We may have 1 or 2 main threads for things like the bi-weekly challenges and summary posts.

Anyways, let's use this thread to see if there is enough interest to warrant doing this, and flesh out what type of things you'd like to see.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I should but I don't own tennis shoes and if I did I don't know how to tie them. so I'll just eat.cookies and tease.everyone

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Including one other and me, that's 6 of us so far...

How would you guys want to do this? Do you like the idea of a mini-challenge every two weeks? Would a competitive portion make this more fun, or just annoying? Do you have any ideas that would encourage people to participate and stick with it?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I didn't do this last time, but I think I'd like to give it a shot this time.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sure i will too.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am so down. :happy2: I need a way to keep in shape (especially during the cold seasons).

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am so down. :happy2: I need a way to keep in shape (especially during the cold seasons).

This is exactly my thinking, actually. It's so easy to ignore exercise until it starts to warm up, but by then it's too late if you are trying to look your best for summer.

baccheion

Do these things ever work? Are there progress pics, etc? Someone should start one of these in the middle of the year to avoid the new year's resolution stigma.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is exactly my thinking, actually. It's so easy to ignore exercise until it starts to warm up, but by then it's too late if you are trying to look your best for summer.

Exactly! I'll be home from school for winter break by the time the challenge starts and I'd love to break in the treadmill my family bought on black friday. :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone: Is the 6th or 13th a better start date? I'm defaulting to the 6th unless I hear otherwise.

Do these things ever work? Are there progress pics, etc? Someone should start one of these in the middle of the year to avoid the new year's resolution stigma.

The very first one we did helped me go from around ~290 to ~260, and even though I've gone up and down, I've never gone back up to that high. (I've generally hovered around 275.) It didn't work any miracles, but it helped. Certainly didn't hurt.

The thing I noticed is that 4-8 weeks was when most people quit when we started during the summer. I don't see a January start date being any different.

baccheion

Tip: the quickest way to lose weight (in addition to exercise) is to switch to a low-carb diet. This is the way to go unless you have specific issues that prevent you from following such a routine. The pounds will literally fly off. Also, you can supplement with stuff like forskolin, resveratrol, acetyl l-carnitine, etc to help things along.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hadn't heard about the forskolin or resveratrol supplements before. Have you tried them?

baccheion

Resveratrol is good for endurance, and it normalizes appetite and blood sugar among other things. It also got rid of my acne. Acetyl L-Carnitine helps with blood sugar and endurance as well. Forskolin does something to increase fat burning (might be a myth). I don't know if it made me burn any fat, but while I was on it I had my blood and urine tested and ketones were found at high levels (which indirectly signals fat burning).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I keep reading that as foreskin.