• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Food is not Fuel

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Food is not fuel. It's a common misconception, especially in exercise and weight loss circles, and I believe the misconception is part of the reason why so many people struggle to lose weight, gain muscle, or experience any number of health issues.

Here's a good article on the topic: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/food-is-not-fuel

To summarize:

1. ONE function of food is to provide energy. But it does much more than that.
2. 1 calorie of food outside the body does NOT equate to 1 calorie of food inside the body.
3. The vitamins and minerals found in food does not directly provide energy, but they help perform a wide variety of functions that keep our bodies running smoothly. (Building bones, protein synthesis, nerve function, etc.)
4. Phytochemicals (from plants) and zoochemicals (from animals) help provide a wide variety of protective mechanisms for the body.
6. What we eat regulates production of certain hormones, which in turn informs our body how to digest and process the food we eat.
7. Human beings consist of trillions of bacteria creating complex ecosystems that help us digest food, and what we eat affects those ecosystems, which in turn affects how we digest food.
8. Food is cultural. It bonds families and communities.
9. The type of food we eat, and how we eat it, communicates who we are and what we value.

In short:
Here, food is information. It’s communication. It’s a set of instructions that you give your body to accomplish amazing things.

So what do you guys think? I'd especially love to hear how this information might impact your dietary choices.

Bonus:
Also, food can affect what bacteria live in our gut, which MAY in turn directly affect our mood, such as emotions of anxiety. This is currently being studied with humans via probiotics, but it's an intriguing area of research:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...acteria-might-guide-the-workings-of-our-minds

MetalMoon

Good post. There is such an unhealthy attitude towards food nowadays; food is eaten based on what will make someone thin with little regard to nutritional value, if weightloss is the goal. Indulgences are met with excuses: there is less and less "oh, I fancy a bit of pie" more "I'll run this off/it's a treat/ah well, not losing weight anyway"

I believe the focus should be on maximising wholesome, nutritional foods, and not feeling guilt if you "cheat." you can't "cheat" on a diet. Ever since I've gotten that mindset out of my head, I find myself less and less obsessed with food. And, I rarely want "junk" now anyway. Indulgences are good-quality ice cream and chocolate. It's all good...:D

elemenop

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
Udog said:

I think this is especially interesting. It seems like there's often an unhealthy focus on the action of eating, rather than the context (social, interpersonal, cultural contexts) that eating occurs in. Holidays like Thanksgiving are an exception, since food is part of a broader activity; it's only one component of the Fun. I imagine that lots of people make a habit of grabbing a drive-through meal after work/school, and then eating it before/during the long commute home (at least, that's what I did in back in high school). All the enjoyment of the meal comes from the food itself; everything else is depressing. When peoples' sense of "fun" only stems from eating, instead of social events/activities surrounding food, it makes sense that they often develop unhealthy eating habits.

edit: ha, I guess my avatar matches up perfectly with this post :D

93JC

Food is absolutely fuel; anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

It's not just fuel.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, your body digests carbohydrates and proteins at a different rate. Proteins take much longer to digest. This is why you can eat a huge steak and still feel hungry.... that stuff takes time to breakdown. Rice and pasta act much quicker.... they only take around 30 minutes, IIRC correctly.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Food is absolutely fuel; anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

It's not just fuel.

I think the driving point is that food does not equal fuel in the sense that any food will give you everything you need to run. You go to any gas station, and put gas in, and the car runs. You put any edible thing in your body, and it will not just run the same. The energy portion of it is only a part of why we really need food in the first place. People think they get the calories, or lack thereof, they need and everything will be fine. It really doesn't work like that. There is no E to F gauge.

93JC

I think the driving point is that food does not equal fuel in the sense that any food will give you everything you need to run. You go to any gas station, and put gas in, and the car runs. You put any edible thing in your body, and it will not just run the same. The energy portion of it is only a part of why we really need food in the first place. People think they get the calories, or lack thereof, they need and everything will be fine. It really doesn't work like that. There is no E to F gauge.

I see your point, which is why I said "It's not just fuel."

However, your analogy is flawed. A car needs much more than fuel in order to operate. It needs oil, it needs coolant and it needs air. Air in particular: a car's engine absolutely would not operate without air. :nerd:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I see your point, which is why I said "It's not just fuel."

However, your analogy is flawed. A car needs much more than fuel in order to operate. It needs oil, it needs coolant and it needs air. Air in particular: a car's engine absolutely would not operate without air. :nerd:

Touche my good sir! :rly???:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe the focus should be on maximising wholesome, nutritional foods, and not feeling guilt if you "cheat."

This is pretty close to where I stand as well. Still gathering my thoughts on this, though.

I think this is especially interesting. It seems like there's often an unhealthy focus on the action of eating, rather than the context (social, interpersonal, cultural contexts) that eating occurs in. Holidays like Thanksgiving are an exception, since food is part of a broader activity; it's only one component of the Fun. I imagine that lots of people make a habit of grabbing a drive-through meal after work/school, and then eating it before/during the long commute home (at least, that's what I did in back in high school). All the enjoyment of the meal comes from the food itself; everything else is depressing. When peoples' sense of "fun" only stems from eating, instead of social events/activities surrounding food, it makes sense that they often develop unhealthy eating habits.

@bolded: Do you think we are even focusing on the action of the eating, though? Seems to me we are barely paying attention to the food, which might be part of why we need more intensely flavored foods (lots of sugar and salt). Our food has to "shout" to be heard over the noise of driving, surfing the web, doing work, etc.

This is why you can eat a huge steak and still feel hungry.... that stuff takes time to breakdown.

The trick is to eat the huge steak slowly. There's a lot that goes into the feeling of satiation, and it usually takes 20 minutes or so for it to kick in. On the plus side, a huge steak will help you feel full far longer than the pasta.

elemenop

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
@bolded: Do you think we are even focusing on the action of the eating, though? Seems to me we are barely paying attention to the food, which might be part of why we need more intensely flavored foods (lots of sugar and salt). Our food has to "shout" to be heard over the noise of driving, surfing the web, doing work, etc..

So I guess your idea is: food shouts to be heard over the constant din of the internet, tv, media (etc) in peoples' busy/overwhelming/oversaturated lives. My idea is: food shouts to fill the Fathomless Void in peoples'
monotonous/lonely/isolated/culturally-dead lives. :( Your idea makes sense to me; I'm not sure whether or not it conflicts with my idea. We used different starting points/assumptions about our culture(s).

I guess what a person gets out of unhealthy food/eating habits depends on whether that person feels overwhelmed with life (your perspective) or dead (my perspective) to start with.

I'm not sure if this post makes sense. It's an interesting subject to think about though.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I guess your idea is: food shouts to be heard over the constant din of the internet, tv, media (etc) in peoples' busy/overwhelming/oversaturated lives. My idea is: food shouts to fill the Fathomless Void in peoples'
monotonous/lonely/isolated/culturally-dead lives. :( Your idea makes sense to me; I'm not sure whether or not it conflicts with my idea. We used different starting points/assumptions about our culture(s).

I guess what a person gets out of unhealthy food/eating habits depends on whether that person feels overwhelmed with life (your perspective) or dead (my perspective) to start with.

The role that food plays in our emotional needs is indeed an interesting topic, and an important one. To clarify though, I wasn't trying to say that unhealthy eating habits were a result of being overwhelmed, but to say that I don't think most people really pay that much attention to their food when they eat. Unhealthy eating habits can have a wide variety of reasons though, and people eating to fill a void caused by isolation is definitely one possible reason.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you think we are even focusing on the action of the eating, though? Seems to me we are barely paying attention to the food, which might be part of why we need more intensely flavored foods (lots of sugar and salt). Our food has to "shout" to be heard over the noise of driving, surfing the web, doing work, etc.

The trick is to eat the huge steak slowly. There's a lot that goes into the feeling of satiation, and it usually takes 20 minutes or so for it to kick in. On the plus side, a huge steak will help you feel full far longer than the pasta.
I agree with this. Eating slowly and enjoying every bite makes everything better -- you are more satisfied, you feel full faster, chewing thoroughly also helps your digestive system.

Right now I'm starting a new strategy -- try cooking 'from scratch' as much as possible. Processed foods are loaded with sugar and sodium. Once you try to cook everything from scratch, you can actually taste each food's unique flavor.

I've switched my peanut butter to an organic, no extra stuff added one and it tastes a lot more peanut buttery :blush: Now when I go back to the normal brands that are a sugar and salt fest they actually taste fake to me.

I've also found that cooking food makes you eat it less. It's like you've spent so much time with it that it helps satiate you emotionally somehow...

rav3n

Food is currency. Refer to chimp behaviour where the males who share meat (hunting teams are composed of primarily males and a few aggressive females), garner more social alliances and get laid more often.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right now I'm starting a new strategy -- try cooking 'from scratch' as much as possible. Processed foods are loaded with sugar and sodium. Once you try to cook everything from scratch, you can actually taste each food's unique flavor.

Whole foods, you say? I'm almost starting to see a pattern in this thread... :)

I've also found that cooking food makes you eat it less. It's like you've spent so much time with it that it helps satiate you emotionally somehow...

If I were to guess, it's a combination of the activity of cooking, which can be an appetite regulator, as well as the fact that you are cooking whole foods, which tend to be more filling. (More fiber, less simple sugar, etc.) Of course, maybe I'm not getting the emotional satisfaction because most of what I cook isn't all that fancy.

Food is currency. Refer to chimp behaviour where the males who share meat (hunting teams are composed of primarily males and a few aggressive females), garner more social alliances and get laid more often.

Oooh, good one. The currency element is much more subtle (subconscious?) in humans, but isn't that kind of what traditional, stereotypical dating is? Male takes female out to dinner in hopes that she'll come back to his place afterward? Also refer to Section B Rule 2 of the Man Code: Beer will be legal tender in exchange for assistance in moving, car repair, housing projects, etc.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a good thread. I need this.
And why am I just finding this thread after eating left over yams and stuffing for breakfast?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Whole foods, you say? I'm almost starting to see a pattern in this thread... :)
Yep! I didn't believe it at first, but after I actively tried to eat only whole foods for about 2-3 weeks I could feel the difference (combined with only 15-20 minutes of exercise daily). The trick was educating myself about what was good and what was not. The cooking from scratch thing helped, as it weeded out secretly added sugar that is simply unavoidable in processed products. And, I found that if you cut out processed food, you can eat a huge amount of whole foods and still be within your calorie limit!

I've been slacking lately though. Since it's December everyone seems more sugar-happy than usual... :(

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Food is first and foremost fuel. Everything else is a secondary consideration. Thinking of food as fuel can be very useful for recovering from eating disorders or combatting stress-eating tendencies. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Food is first and foremost fuel. Everything else is a secondary consideration. Thinking of food as fuel can be very useful for recovering from eating disorders or combatting stress-eating tendencies. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

See, I disagree with the bolded. The way you worded it, it sounds like you are saying that everything else that food does, combined, still is secondary to the calorie content of food. You didn't really make a case for that, though, especially considering all the essential (to life and health) things that food provides that have nothing to do with energy.

gromit

likes this
Well when I think of "food as fuel" I don't think of it like gasoline/calories added to a machine, but I do think of it as what my body needs to be functional and healthy and happy. If you put crappy stuff into your body, it's not going to work so well and you're not going to feel so great as if you feed it nutritious (but still tasty) food.

Yes it's a dynamic system and WHAT you eat (and possibly even when?) is as important as how much you eat. But I never really thought the "food as fuel" statement precluded that mindset...

More like what [MENTION=13160]Chiharu[/MENTION] said that it's a perspective to contrast against the sort of reward/punishment aspect or emotional eating that is ingrained in a lot of people.