• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is obesity tolerated?

W

WhoCares

This is a thing that is going through my mind for a quite time. Obesity is NOT a comsetic problem, or a beauty problem as a lot of people seem to see it this way. Obesity is a serious health problem and it's still tolerated like nothing happens. When you have an obese kid in the class your parents usually tell you not to make a fun of him, because you could hurt his feelings. But it's totally fine to tell a skinny person, he's skinny. Or it's fine to tell someone who is underweight "you look like anorexic" , but it's not okay to tell an obese kid he's obese...What's wrong?

My conspiracy theory is that obesity is becoming endemic. Particularly in cultures subsisting off a high proportion of processed food. To draw attention to it is politically sensitive and must be handled in a way that puts blame on the consumer rather than the producer. To make it into an emotional problem does this conveniently and because its emotional, nice people dont hurt fat peoples feelings by calling them fat.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
lulz..

Well yeah, it is illiberal to ban fatty foods.

But then as we all know obesity rates continue to rise. And not just in the West, but in developing economies such as India and China. We simply eat too much high fat/high sugar foods. We didn't evolve to eat that, period.

So yeah, it's bad to show concern that the population is unhealthy lol... And what is freedom? Freedom is not licence and surely the social costs of freedom have to analysed. If somebody pooh-poohs that, well yeah, the only reason we outlaw murder and rape is social cost. ;)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We didn't evolve to eat high fat foods? Really? Do you think our early hominid ancestors threw away the fatty parts of the mammoths?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think he's trolling. Not gonna feed.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What about people who only eat when they take certain meds and when they eat they eat really bad. Like ive gone from a 10 to ,6 in less than 2 months.

blurry

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Why would it help to tell an overweight person they're overweight? They're already completely aware of it...I'm sure it factors into every part of their life in some way or another.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
We didn't evolve to eat high fat foods? Really? Do you think our early hominid ancestors threw away the fatty parts of the mammoths?

er.. yeah, we evolved to eat foods with hydrogenated oils, right?

homo habilis or erectus ate a varied diet, which is our natural diet. We didn't evolve to eat foods with hyper fat or sugar levels.

So yes, we are obese since we can't handle our modern diet... :hi:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tolerate obesity because I am tolerant of people to make their own decisions about what they put in their mouths and how much or how little they exercise. It's not really my business what they decide to do. I also tolerate a diversity in body types. In addition to personal decisions about eating and exercising I do believe weight has somewhat of a genetic component. Some people won't be skinny no matter what. We shouldn't fault those for things that may not be within their control.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
people shouldn't use fast food as an excuse for being fat when there's plenty of places that are quick where you can get a salad or something. I mean I don't go get fast food because I want to be healthy I go because I'm craving junk. I also find that you can always pack a sandwhich,wrap, or salad. but i get sometimes there's nothing to eat but fast food cuz of time constraints. I'm not saying don't eat fast food, I'm saying that if you want to lose weight don't eat it every day I tend to eat it maybe once a month or less if that