• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is obesity tolerated?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
It might not force them to lose weight though. For a lot of people it's the amount they are eating, not what they are eating. You can easily still be obese by eating excessive amounts of generally healthy foods. Especially if you are eating calorie dense ones like nuts, dried fruit, avocado, etc. With people who have been obese for a substantial amount of time their stomach is stretched and used to a certain amount of food. So, they will constantly feel hunger even if they have consumed an adequate amount of calories.

er.... a person's stomach goes back to a normal size, dependent on the amount of food consumed.

sorry, but then nobody needs to be obese. i don't get why being healthy should deter that fact..

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Instead of banging your head against a wall, maybe you just need to find a society that better reflects the way you think.

north-korea.jpg

er.... yeah, freedom is absolute.

Is it "inherently illiberal" to ban anything? Even if it's in the best interest of society?

I'm a libertarian though, so I don't support banning anything that harms person or property.

It's the only way to curb the obesity epidemic, but yeah, doing things for the interest of society is evil... haha.. got it...

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Or, if like many people who are overweight that have addictive behaviours surrounding eating, it could lower their self esteem making them more anxious thus triggering them to eat more.

This video made me laugh because my name is Neil; however I have an opposite weight problem, I have to keep myself from being underweight.

So? Where does this "right to be fat" stem from, and why frankly is it valid?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People don't like being made fun of cuz they're fat.

Bitches need to nut up and get thin. Lifestyle change.

But at the same time, people should be more supportive. But not tolerant.

Pass me the chocolate. *defiant look*

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Society's at fault here for not successfully promoting a healthy lifestyle for its members.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
We also eat foods, well..we're frankly not designed to eat, at least on a large scale.

Our meat-sweet diet is far too fat/sugar laden for our needs/physiology.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Aren't grown adults responsible for themselves?

Precisely why people should mind their own business rather than giving someone shit for their weight.

And as for people and the system that influences the likelihood of weight issues, it's one of those things where the common good leads to individual benefits.

Imagine if there were no roads because people ought to be responsible for their own mobility. Sure they can pay for their own private roads to be built, but it's less headache, cheaper to the individual and efficient to have public roads.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I too think people ought to shut up about others' weight and instead focus on being happy and healthy. Being overweight or underweight is hard enough without random assholes telling you that you're disgusting and a liability... the kicker of course being that they're often unhealthy in their own ways.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depending on your optimism level, you could say they beat anorexia.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Depending on your optimism level, you could say they beat anorexia.

:laugh: I saw an overweight guy with a really big belly wearing an I BEAT ANOREXIA shirt in Target one day! Had me in fits of giggles.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh: I saw an overweight guy with a really big belly wearing an I BEAT ANOREXIA shirt in Target one day! Had me in fits of giggles.
Lol, awesome.

I'd bet that guy enjoys life much better than people who complain about the obesity of other people on the interwebs.

S

Stansmith

While I'm sure that this has been discussed to death already, I don't think people should feel the need to make such judgments unless its out of genuine concern for a loved one's health......I'm aware that most of the time people say things of that nature just to shoot the breeze, and that's fine, it doesn't make bad people, but I personally don't see the value in doing so.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
er.... a person's stomach goes back to a normal size, dependent on the amount of food consumed.

sorry, but then nobody needs to be obese. i don't get why being healthy should deter that fact..

Eventually, but it can take up to a year of healthy eating before their bodies realize they are taking in adequate calories and get used to the new diet.

I agree with you 100%, being obese is not okay. I have a really hard time calling it a medical condition, because in most instances it is completely self-induced. I just think it is far more complicated than just "eat less fatty food." A lot of the time it's also a coping mechanism for other things. People joke about "eating their feelings," but so many people actually do that.

MBTI Type
INTJ
er.... yeah, freedom is absolute.

Is it "inherently illiberal" to ban anything? Even if it's in the best interest of society?

I'm a libertarian though, so I don't support banning anything that harms person or property.

It's the only way to curb the obesity epidemic, but yeah, doing things for the interest of society is evil... haha.. got it...

A libertarian that wants to ban fatty foods. :happy0065:

Reminds me of some of my favorite people - vegetarian heroin addicts. "How can you put that into your body?!"

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Reminds me of some of my favorite people - vegetarian heroin addicts. "How can you put that into your body?!"

:laugh::thinking:

But, I guess no animals were harmed in the making of the heroin... Just possibly human beings whose family's were killed by drug cartels.

Alea_iacta_est

I would think that Obesity would be more tolerated because it is easier to gain weight than lose weight.

Personally, I am against the restriction of any foods or beverages simply based on the fact that these people choose to eat or drink what they want, they aren't helpless, and we don't need the government controlling our diet and how we use our bodies. Everyone knows the risks of over-indulging or under-indulging.

- Libertarian

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
There is a social problem to obesity. It's entirely rational to tell someone that they're obese and need to lose weight to avoid health consequences, but it's not socially acceptable, because obesity is deforming according to western beauty standards. So from there comes the "fat-shaming" and other stuff. Another related issue I see is that there is an economical aspect. It's useful for the medical and weight-loss industries to not seriously challenge weight-problems in the demographic, but obesity is also a major problem for employers. But, i'm not that familiar with the US so I won't analyze it in-depth. Globally speaking obesity is increasing because of the increasing consumption of junk-foods aswell as more sedentary lifestyles, the internet and gaming doesn't help either.

I would think that Obesity would be more tolerated because it is easier to gain weight than lose weight.

Personally, I am against the restriction of any foods or beverages simply based on the fact that these people choose to eat or drink what they want, they aren't helpless, and we don't need the government controlling our diet and how we use our bodies. Everyone knows the risks of over-indulging or under-indulging.

- Libertarian
The problem isn't that the government is controlling the food supply. The problem is that food industry isn't transparent enough for people to understand consequences of their eating. Besides there has been scandals in the past where the governments regulatory organs, like FDA, lied or distorted information about compounds that are probably dangerous or deleterious to health, and used food production. I'm fine with people choosing to eat what they want, but I think it's dishonest that capitalists get to lie about the products they sell. The USA's lack of proper transport infrastructure also adds to the problem.