• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold Weather and Joints

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not for arthritis, but for a 20-something like me without it, does exposing my joints to cold and dry weather (30s-50s) damage the joints?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not for arthritis, but for a 20-something like me without it, does exposing my joints to cold and dry weather (30s-50s) damage the joints?

:thinking: I'm no medical professional- but I've never heard of weather itself damaging joints at all- unless you're talking 3rd+ degree burns/frostbite, in which case, that'd be the least of your worries. I've only known cold, damp air to exacerbate pain in already damaged joints (even mildly damaged).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_pain#Cold-induced

I'm not sure why you may think your age bracket would exclude you from arthritis- I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis just a few yrs back (early 20s). It often starts with minor aches we dismiss, I think.

But ey, I could be missing something.

I find supplements great for protecting my wrecked joints & alleviating any present pain.
-fish oil capsules (also good for the heart, skin & brain)
-turmeric & or ginger supplements (with black pepper extract- piperine- to aid in absorption)- reduces/prevents inflammation when taken regularly; also heart healthy & rich in antioxidants (boosts immune function)
- glucosamine & chondroitin +MSM supplements (strenghtens joints/alleviates discomfort)
-drinking green tea

^that cocktail (& hot baths) helps me a ton.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It will generally ampen up the risk that your joints will be damaged.

Let me explain this further: due to contracting capillaries(*), your joints will naturally be more "rigid" in colder weather. They will thus become more sensitive to external sources of damage, so if you're playing football and get tackled you'll be more likely to get an injury, or if you're running and accidentally place your feet at a weird angle, etc. etc.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you both. I just hate wearing unnecessary clothing in cold weather. I will continue to do it so as long as there are no long term consequences.