• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guys: How do you feel about having a female doctor?

alicia91

My husband originally saw my female internist but he couldn't handle the thought of her doing his annual prostrate exam and switched to a male. Either way - I'm sure it's weird, though I have no sympathy after having 3 kids.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Doesn't matter to me. My mind doesn't go dirty places during doctor visits. If the doctor happens to be a really attractive female... Well then it might. What can I do? :/

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
hahaha That's funny...and not the first time i've heard a story similar to that before. I asked this question today because I saw this female Urologist on TV today and she said she mostly works with males and that her male patients always made comments to her about how they weren't expecting a female. Here name is Dr. Karen Boyle and she's on a show called "Hopkins". You can google it and find her website.
Oh, this is fantastic! I've seen Karen Boyle... I'm a female working in Urology/Pathology/Oncology at Hopkins (part of my job is harvesting prostates... see the typical day thread for what that involves). I love when I go to pick up the specimens and the surgeon goes, "...T2B... Oh, take my prostate please."
Yeah, that's all I've got to contribute to this thread. Oh, and female urologist is waaayyyy funnier than male gynecologist (even though they aren't quite analogous).

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just be deathly afraid of what might "pop up" during the examination. That would be really humiliating.

That's really my only reservation against having a female check me out. A guy I can just stare at the wall or ceiling and quietly repress the memory that a male ever touched my junk, but with a female I either need to control that response or laugh it off (even more awkward)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Since I believe women should be at home and not in the work force, I would obviously be appalled if I had a female doctor.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's really my only reservation against having a female check me out. A guy I can just stare at the wall or ceiling and quietly repress the memory that a male ever touched my junk, but with a female I either need to control that response or laugh it off (even more awkward)

I think I'd just have to say "See? More proof I have good reflexes!" :D

Mole

Permabanned
Concrete

I think I'd just have to say "See? More proof I have good reflexes!" :D

There are good female doctors and bad female doctors just as there are good and bad male doctors.

It seems juvenile to reduce it to your sexual response.

A mature adult relates to their doctor as a person, not a sexual object.

But if you relate to most people as sexual objects, I guess you would relate to your doctor as a sexual object.

This is called reification - the turning of a living person into an object.

And it is this objectification of a living person that forms the basis of pathological concrete thinking.

Hey, you turn living people into concrete for your own pleasure.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are good female doctors and bad female doctors just as there are good and bad male doctors.

It seems juvenile to reduce it to your sexual response.

A mature adult relates to their doctor as a person, not a sexual object.

But if you relate to most people as sexual objects, I guess you would relate to your doctor as a sexual object.

And it is this objectification of a living person that forms the basis of pathological concrete thinking.

Thank you, Mr. Jump To Conclusions Man! :)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd take a female doctor any bloody day over a guy :)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes
I love the idea
i have always felt more comfortable around women

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

Wrong. Reification is the act of turning an abstract concept into something concrete. Seeing as how another living person is concrete, and objects are concrete, then turning one into the other would not fit the criteria of reification.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wrong. Reification is the act of turning an abstract concept into something concrete. Seeing as how another living person is concrete, and objects are concrete, then turning one into the other would not fit the criteria of reification.

Maybe he meant dehumanization?

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
My current General M.D. is a woman, but when I was 18 - actually the month I turned 18, I thought I had a hernia. I lifted weights like a fanatic during my teen years and one day I caught a 35 lb. weight plate as it slipped off the bar while I was in a straddled position, anyway I felt a stinging sensation under my left gonad, I told my mom, she wanted me to see the doctor right away since that was my last month on her insurance where she worked at and also did I have any problem seeing her doctor which was a female, I said "no". So I go to the doctor thinking it was some middle aged un-attractive woman, wrong ! She was a beautiful red head, tall probably 5'10'', nice curves, ect. My heart started to pound, she took my pulse and said it was like 120 beats per minute , and then said "are you nervous ?" I said yes, she said "why?" , because your going to ask me to drop my pants, she said " you have to if you want any help". Minutes later, she said take them down, I did, I turned my head and looked at the clock on the wall. I never went to her again after that exam, but she told me "I have to move your penis out of the way" "ok" I said , and I'm average just like anyone else if your wondering. She held it in her left hand while she squeezed and prodded my nads with her right hand, and about every 30 seconds she would move her shoulder like it was uncomfortable and when she would her left hand grip would tighten just ever so slightly,not only that but I could feel her exhaling breath on my genital area. I know that she was wanting to see me get erected, anyway this whole ordeal lasted a little over 8 minutes ! How I know this- was I kept count by the clock on the wall, I believe it kept my mind focused elsewhere. When she left out of the room she slammed the door, I do believe she was expecting to have something to talk about with the other women in her office that day and she didn't get anything to talk about, no erection, ect. She did say that she suspected me having a Varicocele and sent me to a Urologist which said the same thing. When I left her office that day I told my mom what had happened, my mom said "she wouldn't do that, I've known her for 2 years and we get along good together!", I said that's exactly why she probably felt comfortable pushing the envelope with me because she knew who my mom was!" I don't tell many people this story because I've been called a liar the few times I've told it. I had mixed emotions that day, I didn't know whether to feel flattered or violated, but I've always hoped to catch her and her husband out at some nice restaurant so I could walk up to their table and say "hey, do you remember that time....." !

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have a male doctor, but I imagine I'd be fine with a female doctor. Hell, give me a transsexual doctor, I don't care. It's not like there's going to be any novelty factor there for them, you're just one more of the hundreds of patients they have.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have to be honest, I prefer a male doctor with exams of my private bits. I've had both male and female and find the male to be more gentle and caring.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you serious about that?

The guy quoted himself in his sig...either he is dead serious or the the most ironic prankster of the millennium. Plus check out his list of attractive qualities in the relationships thread.

I'm not bothered by having a female doctor...although I do get "bothered" by attractive women in general. :doh: I have no real preference otherwise.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
At what age do you start having "below the belt exams"? I have a female doctor, by the way, but I've never been examined "down there".