• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what fruits and juices are considered acidic?

P

Phantonym

If it tastes sour, it's acidic. Their pH level differs, so the lower it is, the more acid they contain. pH level of 7 is considered neutral.

Here's a short list of the pH values of some foods.

The pH level of lemon and lime juice is approximately 2.00-2.80, and you know they're really sour, so they're acidic.

Apples and apple juice are a bit sweeter, but still considered acidic.

Melon and watermelon are closer to neutral.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Lemon juice is so acidic it can stain many types of stainless steel...

Yeah, Phantomym has covered it pretty well.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Related, I just had fresh kiwi fruit, and by the end of two of them (they're not that big), my tongue and lips were bleeding a little. :( Acidity-related? Perhaps--I didn't think they were that acidic, but maybe my body is just sensitive to that kind of thing now. However, I eat fresh oranges, and that never happens.

The kiwi tasted good, though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Related, I just had fresh kiwi fruit, and by the end of two of them (they're not that big), my tongue and lips were bleeding a little. :( Acidity-related? Perhaps--I didn't think they were that acidic, but maybe my body is just sensitive to that kind of thing now. However, I eat fresh oranges, and that never happens.

The kiwi tasted good, though.
yeah sounds like you're probably alergic to kiwi, which sucks cuz it's pretty and delicious

Laurence125

All citrus fruits and citrus fruits juices are acidic to some extent.
Orange, lemon, grapefruit, green mango, kiwi, and grapes are considered acidic fruits.

Last edited:

á´…eparted

passages
Most fruits are acidic. It's rare for any to be basic. At best they'll be at neutral pH.

If you're really concerned, by pH paper on amazon or something and just test fruits you are interested in eating.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it tastes sour, it's acidic. Their pH level differs, so the lower it is, the more acid they contain. pH level of 7 is considered neutral.

All citrus fruits and citrus fruits juices are acidic to some extent.
Orange, lemon, grapefruit, green mango, kiwi, and grapes are considered acidic fruits.

Actually, studies show that while limes and lemons are acidic, they are metabolized as alkaline.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The question is why you're avoiding them/giving them up. If it's because of medicines, then eliminating citrus will probably do it (grapefruit especially).. Kiwi and watermelon are acidic, but they aren't what's going to cause bad reactions to medications. Grapefruit is the prime culprit, and lemons and limes could be an issue. A little won't kill you, but they'd have to be highly diluted (i.e. a slice of unsqueezed lemon in water soaking for 5-10 minutes will be fine.)

If it's for dental health, a straw and cup of swishing water will do you a world better than giving up fruit entirely. Blend it, drink it through a straw, and swish your mouth with water after you stop drinking and when you're done with every meal.

If it's because of food intolerance, then honestly acidic fruit might not be the only thing you're intolerant to.. There are step-down diets that have you eating the most agreeable, plain food.. and each week you introduce something new into it, and see how your body reacts to it. It's the most logical, methodical way to figure out what you're intolerant to.. but it also is a long process, and requires a lot of effort and time to put into.

I'd do two things in this case:
I'd work backwards--and just cut out citrus, and see how it goes, then if you're still having x reactions, try cutting out something else like milk and see if it changes. If the issues stop, see if citrus coming back will cause it to happen again.
I'd eliminate and be mindful of bad food combinations. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3615/10-Common-Food-Combinations-That-Wreak-Havoc-on-Your-Health.html This guide is particularly hippy, but it's easy to read.. there are smaller increments one can work with.