• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Drug Tripping: My Latest Adventure (Or, the importance of REM sleep)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What? For a cold? I wouldn't use it. It's very strong and a bit of skin irritant, too.

Benefits of eucalyptus:

• antiseptic
  • anti-stress
  • mental clarity
  • mood enhancer
  • anti-inflammatory
  • respiratory health

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

Some antidepressants that are good for sleep aid are marketed as antidepressants because it cost more if they got it labeled as an antidepressant (instead of a sleep aid.) I don't know much about Trazodone though.... In any case, all anti-depressants usually start out with a low dosage. So that freak accident was because your body was not used to the medication...especially at the dosage that you've token. :laugh:

For most antidepressants that make you sleepy, if you drop it to a low dosage, and that you take it at night time about an hour before you go to sleep, you may be groggy for maybe a week or so (but you'll have the best sleep that you have ever had.) After that, you'd still have the best sleep you've have had, but less of that grogginess.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Raspberries are full of melatonin, so I buy frozen raspberries and have a snack in the evening.

I would recommend cherries over raspberries.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

Some antidepressants that are good for sleep aid are marketed as antidepressants because it cost more if they got it labeled as an antidepressant (instead of a sleep aid.) I don't know much about Trazodone though.... In any case, all anti-depressants usually start out with a low dosage. So that freak accident was because your body was not used to the medication...especially at the dosage that you've token. :laugh:

For most antidepressants that make you sleepy, if you drop it to a low dosage, and that you take it at night time about an hour before you go to sleep, you may be groggy for maybe a week or so (but you'll have the best sleep that you have ever had.) After that, you'd still have the best sleep you've have had, but less of that grogginess.

This particular PA was just ridiculous. First, he didn't check for contraindications. He didn't seem to consider it at all. And Trazodone is contraindicated with one of my regular meds.

Second, he didn't consult my medical history at all except to research those meds I've had issues with in the past.

Third, he stumbled over the pronunciation of one of my meds listed on the chart, although it's a common one.

Fourth, he didn't warn me to start the Trazodone at a lower dosage. Nor did he tell me anything about it beyond the fact that it's an older insomnia remedy.

I agree, not only was my body not used to or ready for that medicine, but I also happen to be hypersensitive to medications. For example, I always hallucinate spiders when I take Benadryl.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
everyone i know who has insomnia takes either seroquel or trazadone.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This particular PA was just ridiculous. First, he didn't check for contraindications. He didn't seem to consider it at all. And Trazodone is contraindicated with one of my regular meds.

Second, he didn't consult my medical history at all except to research those meds I've had issues with in the past.

Third, he stumbled over the pronunciation of one of my meds listed on the chart, although it's a common one.

Fourth, he didn't warn me to start the Trazodone at a lower dosage. Nor did he tell me anything about it beyond the fact that it's an older insomnia remedy.

I agree, not only was my body not used to or ready for that medicine, but I also happen to be hypersensitive to medications. For example, I always hallucinate spiders when I take Benadryl.

That is just bad. I am always given a rundown of things I need to know before taking any medication at the office, and then I am given a second rundown at the pharmacy that hands me the medicine (including a pamphlet every time I get the medicine.) I'm always asked if I am taking any medication besides the one prescribed, and if I am, that I list them.

But since I don't really take medication for anything else, I'm generally fine when it comes to interactions.

Mirtazapine works for insomnia also, but most people are put off by it because of the weight gain effect.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That is just bad. I am always given a rundown of things I need to know before taking any medication at the office, and then I am given a second rundown at the pharmacy that hands me the medicine (including a pamphlet every time I get the medicine.) I'm always asked if I am taking any medication besides the one prescribed, and if I am, that I list them.

But since I don't really take medication for anything else, I'm generally fine when it comes to interactions.

Mirtazapine works for insomnia also, but most people are put off by it because of the weight gain effect.

yeah seroquel and trazadone also causes weight gain. I don't need sleep meds

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I stopped taking both of those last month.

And LOL any doctor who prescribes Seroquel for insomnia should have his licence revoked.

Also [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] did you do any more research on 5-HTP? They sell it in vitamin stores for Pete's sake.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I stopped taking both of those last month.

And LOL any doctor who prescribes Seroquel for insomnia should have his licence revoked.

Also [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] did you do any more research on 5-HTP? They sell it in vitamin stores for Pete's sake.

Vitamin stores are part of the Big Alternative Medicine industry which has Senator Orrin Hatch in its back pocket.

I believe sites like drugs.com that advise to stay away from 5-HTP until further testing.

As for Seroquel (which someone else brought up), here's a funny one I found on urbandictionary-
"This pill is most certainly not the shit. I don't know how this drug has such a modern image when it's complete shit. The side effects I can't really comment on, except for one: sedation. If your doctor put you on this he seriously wants you to stfu."

My older step-daughter was on Seroquel when she was in high school, and she couldn't stay awake in class.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Vitamin stores are part of the Big Alternative Medicine industry which has Senator Orrin Hatch in its back pocket.

I believe sites like drugs.com that advise to stay away from 5-HTP until further testing.

I'm trying to help you here, lol. 5-HTP is not a drug, for starters. It is naturally produced by your body, it helps you sleep, it is an anti-depressant, it is safer than any prescription drug that a doctor would give you, there are basically no negative side effects, etc.

Dunno wtf you're on about.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035931_5-HTP_depression_anxiety.html

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm trying to help you here, lol. 5-HTP is not a drug, for starters. It is naturally produced by your body, it helps you sleep, it is an anti-depressant, it is safer than any prescription drug that a doctor would give you, there are basically no negative side effects, etc.

Dunno wtf you're on about.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035931_5-HTP_depression_anxiety.html

Then I'll repost this:

"Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP."

Truth is, you don't know what kind of shit they're putting in these things. You don't know what is a safe dosage level. Politicians such as Orrin Hatch support the non-regulated and untested Alternative Medicine industry out of personal greed.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
drugs.com says:
5-hydroxytryptophan, also known as 5-HTP, is a dietary supplement made from the seeds of the African plant Griffonia simplicifolia.

5-hydroxytryptophan has been used in alternative medicine as an aid to relieve the symptoms of anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, insomnia, chronic headaches, premenstrual syndrome, binge-eating related to obesity, attention deficit disorder, and chronic headaches. 5-hydroxytryptophan has also been used in treating certain seizures and symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

Not all uses for 5-hydroxytryptophan have been approved by the FDA. 5-hydroxytryptophan should not be used in place of medication prescribed for you by your doctor.

5-hydroxytryptophan is often sold as an herbal supplement. There are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for many herbal compounds and some marketed supplements have been found to be contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.

5-hydroxytryptophan may also be used for other purposes not listed in this product guide.​

Nothing there about 5-HTP being naturally-produced by the body.

By the way, what IS a drug? How would you define that term?