• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your somatotype?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meso-ecto. I think I'am at the center of 154 and 163 on the Sheldon's triangle.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Makes sense, assuming ectomorphs have a faster metabolism. However, Sheldon's somatotype theory's been dismissed by doctors/researchers for ages now.
Still a fun theory to toy with, but I imagine a lot of highly specific, genetically based factors would still affect how someone gains/loses muscle or fat. Like someone with ectomorph characteristics may assume eating more before bed will help prevent them from losing muscle through the night, but they might just become obese instead, because their metabolism wasn't particularly any faster than the others, to begin with.

I'm sure some of the basic framing of the theory might have some utility, though. Long as people pay attention to how their bodies truly are, vs how they expect them to be, based on misconceptions around their own 'type.' Ha, this sounds familiar.

I kinda see what you're saying but I think it's just a general framework kinda of like how typology is in a way. I find the descriptions fit me well because I do indeed gain fat easily if i just sit on my ass. I find cardio helps alot for me and I tend to gain muscle rather easily if I work out.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kinda see what you're saying but I think it's just a general framework kinda of like how typology is in a way. I find the descriptions fit me well because I do indeed gain fat easily if i just sit on my ass. I find cardio helps alot for me and I tend to gain muscle rather easily if I work out.

@bold- haha yeah, that's why I said "this sounds familiar." :happy:

Overall, we're probably on or near the same page, actually; just a matter of semantics.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's hard to say what mesomorph would be for women since none of us really gain muscle bulk "easily". Am I a mesomorph because I have muscular legs without working out and a fairly sturdy frame, endomorph because I could stand to lose 10 lbs of stomach fat (in between 3 and 4 on the chart linked above), ectomorph because I have an insane appetite and eat more food than most 6'+ men I know without my weight increasing? I have no idea.

If pressed I'd probably say mesomorph, but I don't know if there's much validity to dividing people into those 3 groups in the first place.

G

Glycerine

It's hard to say what mesomorph would be for women since none of us really gain muscle bulk "easily". Am I a mesomorph because I have muscular legs without working out and a fairly sturdy frame, endomorph because I could stand to lose 10 lbs of stomach fat (in between 3 and 4 on the chart linked above), ectomorph because I have an insane appetite and eat more food than most 6'+ men I know without my weight increasing? I have no idea.

If pressed I'd probably say mesomorph, but I don't know if there's much validity to dividing people into those 3 groups in the first place.

I thought "pure" female mesomorphs tended to be the stereotypical "hourglass" with balanced body proportions.

I

Infinite Bubble

Uber-ectomorph. It has always been very difficult for me to put on weight, but incredibly easy to lose it.

W

WALMART

Mesomorph. I've been told I "don't take advantage of my build" by multiple people, which is true.

Working on it!

Last edited:

jixmixfix

Permabanned

It's more just about how the weight in your body is distributed you can be overweight in all 3 categories technically.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's more just about how the weight in your body is distributed you can be overweight in all 3 categories technically.

Huh? The diagram in the OP doesn't talk about weight distribution at all, it talks about how easy it is to put on/lose fat/muscle (both don't really change for me so I dunno...does that mean mesomorph?).

How does distribution fit in?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Huh? The diagram in the OP doesn't talk about weight distribution at all, it talks about how easy it is to put on/lose fat/muscle (both don't really change for me so I dunno...does that mean mesomorph?).

How does distribution fit in?

Weight distribution to lower parts of body are an indicator of endomorph (stomach and hips) while distribution to the shoulders and upper thighs are mesomorph you can see it by looking at the pictures.That's why i think really skinny and curvy people are actually endomorphs instead of ectomorphs. I know quite a few women mesomorphs they don't look particularly "muscular" but you can see they have broader thighs and shoulders.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Weight distribution to lower parts of body are an indicator of endomorph (stomach and hips) while distribution to the shoulders and upper thighs are mesomorph you can see it by looking at the pictures.That's why i think really skinny and curvy people are actually endomorphs instead of ectomorphs. I know quite a few women mesomorphs they don't look particularly "muscular" but you can see they have broader thighs and shoulders.

Muscular thighs and calves, average (???) shoulders, average hips, average stomach = ?? I don't know where I put weight on because I never lose/gain more than 10 lbs and it seems to spread pretty evenly. Depending on the site you ask I am hourglass, pear or banana shaped - pretty average build, but closer to sturdy than waifish structure.

Can you post pics of women fitting these categories (that are not just skinny/fat/muscular)? I'm not convinced I really fit into any of the categories. Is there an actual rationale for these categories or what?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Muscular thighs and calves, average (???) shoulders, average hips, average stomach = ?? I don't know where I put weight on because I never lose/gain more than 10 lbs and it seems to spread pretty evenly. Depending on the site you ask I am hourglass, pear or banana shaped - pretty average build, but closer to sturdy than waifish structure.

Can you post pics of women fitting these categories (that are not just skinny/fat/muscular)? I'm not convinced I really fit into any of the categories. Is there an actual rationale for these categories or what?

How bout you post a picture of yourself? :p pear shape is endomorph which is thicker lower body and smaller shoulders.Anna kournicova is a mesomorph I think maybe an "ecto-meso". Mesomorphs are typical Athletes.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was thinking the same, closest might be meso....but not really.

Yeah..... is there a such thing as an endo-ecto? I think that's what I am. I don't really gain muscle, tend to be pear shaped, but I'm also sort of small-framed, even though I'm currently not skinny.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In all honesty, #5 probably looks the most like me. So I'm "fat." There I've said it.

Somatotype, mostly endomorph with a little mesomorph thrown in. I mostly just stay the same weight but have an easier time gaining than losing.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
haha. nevermind. It can be either type. :) I mistakenly thought that most hourglass figured women were mesomorphs (like a defining feature).

Based off this site,

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

But different sites have conflicting info so who knows?

Hm, according to this I'm a mesomorph (2.17). But I'm not muscular even in the slightest. Is that possible?