• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should being fat in the United States be illegal?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like seeing obese people, so if the ratio is around 30%, I think it's time for drastic measures.

It's also possible to make it more politically correct: US could make them pay more direct taxes because of the costs that they add to the system. Or more indirect taxes, by taxing the crap out of the junk food system.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't like seeing obese people, so if the ratio is around 30%, I think it's time for drastic measures.

Well shit, if that's the only justification required, then I'm calling for a ban on flared pants, the excessive use of avocado, and Americans signing emails with "Cheers!"

G

Ginkgo

CNN is a joke. I don't consider anything they say "news."

It's kind of like they were about news at one point, and then just said "fuck it". Kind of like a slob who gave up on weight loss, ironically.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well shit, if that's the only justification required, then I'm calling for a ban on flared pants, the excessive use of avocado, and Americans signing emails with "Cheers!"
Hehe, it was a mere opinion. Justifications serve as a measure to cover them, but I chose not to design any this time. I'd also like a ban on pickles - I can hardly believe that people actually eat this nauseating green thing.

Cheers!

W

WALMART

Growing up in one of the fattest cities in the world has really given me a fond appreciation for slim figures. I say bring on the fatties, it puts us regular folks' existence into perspective.

(sorry fatties of TC)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know that it should be illegal, honestly, or even if they should be taxed more. It's common to think that a fat person, unlike a person with a different color, can do something about it, therefore exempting it from being discrimination, but is that really the case? I'm not sure. But regardless, I don't think banning fat people for lifestyle choices is any different from banning homosexuals for theirs.

But I've got a better question: should morbidly obese people who cannot fit in a single seat in an airplane have to pay for more than one seat? Or should the rest of the flyers have to suffer an uncomfortable ride and potentially suffocate?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why should they punish the victims of a terrible food environment which the government continues to openly support and condone?

Yeah, that.

Two thoughts:

One, no, I like having really fat people around, they make me look slender in comparison.

Second, how about the government pays us all to lose weight. Tax credit for each pound. I'd do it.

KDude

Growing up in one of the fattest cities in the world has really given me a fond appreciation for slim figures. I say bring on the fatties, it puts us regular folks' existence into perspective.

(sorry fatties of TC)

I live in the same city, as you know. I don't think it puts me in perspective. I get fat people telling me I need to gain weight. They're perception is skewed. I'm actually slightly overweight by 10-15 lbs.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
thats ridiculous, however increasing taxes and insurances would be a good idea.

Guy V. Malaxia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
The most responsible course of action, IMO, is to dramatically increase nutrition education. I firmly believe that people should be making their own dietary choices without governmental interference, and it seems like a lot of the current health crises rests upon a population of misinformed citizens. Somehow increasing awareness -- either through public education or other means -- should help to combat the obesity crisis.

Increasing certain taxes may be beneficial, but ultimately I think that kind of response won't address the core problem of it all.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, it shouldn't be illegal because part of it can be attributed to genetic or medical reasons. Some people will be somewhat fat no matter what. Some will be skinny even though they eat all the wrong things. There are some medical conditions where significant weight gain is a symptom. Some medications too can cause significant weight gain but the alternative may be worse than just being overweight.

And yes, there are fat people that are fat because of poor eating choices. But not all fat people are fat for that reason.

So it's just plain absurd to make something illegal for something that one doesn't have total control over.

What should be done instead is have more strict regulations on posting accurate nutritional information on foods. Maybe put warning labels on certain junk foods, similar to what's done on cigarettes. Or just more heavily tax certain junk foods.

But I've got a better question: should morbidly obese people who cannot fit in a single seat in an airplane have to pay for more than one seat? Or should the rest of the flyers have to suffer an uncomfortable ride and potentially suffocate?

No. I think that's a form of discrimination in a way. I don't think others should have to suffer either though. I think airlines should set aside a couple of seats just for that purpose. You couldn't sit there unless it's obvious you are morbidly obese. If the seats end up not taken, someone of more average weight could take the seat but they would have to pay extra for it.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who has this opinion. Seems like people are just overly eager to penalize the mordibly obese in whatever way they see fit as if the condition is totally their fault and this is your punishment for making a stupid decision. Let's make you pay double for a seat!

I'm not morbidly obese but I have a loved one in my life who is. So it likely has made me more compassionate on this sort of thing.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
64% of the US is overweight or obese, good luck trying to fit them all in prison. Teehee.

Yeah that's just what poor people need, higher taxes and insurance costs. :doh:

As for planes big people in general should have to pay if they take someone elses personal space (that should include fat people, tall people, broad shouldered people, guys that like to sit with their knees as far apart as possible and overly friendly extraverts).

H

Hate

64% of the US is overweight or obese, good luck trying to fit them all in prison. Teehee.

Yeah that's just what poor people need, higher taxes and insurance costs. :doh:

As for planes big people in general should have to pay if they take someone elses personal space (that should include fat people, tall people, broad shouldered people, guys that like to sit with their knees as far apart as possible and overly friendly extraverts).

I lol'd

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Define fat. Do you mean medically obese? Big enough to potentially require two airplane seats and to subtract ten or twenty years from life span? People who can't walk across the parking lot without complaining?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If being fat is illegal, then you have to make a lot of convenience foods illegal too. After all, who gets the harsher sentence - the crackhead or the crack dealer?

Thank you INTJ voice of reason. It's amazing to me how people get this with crack and heroin, but not cigarettes or the perfect laboratory combination of HFC and synthetic fats.

There's an extra special combo of fat and sugar that people crave and fiend for, and the more you eat of it, the more you want of it, and furthermore, eating these simple sugars doesn't signal to the brain "full" like high-fiber raw vegetables, cooked beans and pulses, and whole grains do.

Yes, drug dealers and pimps should be punished to the fullest extent of the law but people should be totally responsible for their ignorant food choices and being manipulated by advertising.

I mean, yes, in a way they SHOULD, I mean I am able to resist watching television ads and know how to eat healthy, but I've also always made really good grades and was well-nourished in my formative years, and was never severely beaten or administered vodka as a small child, so I can't take the full credit for my intelligence and resistance to corporate manipulation.

It's weird bc my biological father was a drug addict, and I'm not. I don't know if it skips a generation, or manifests in other ways with ethics and education, such as appearing as OCD and anxiety or something instead of drug addiction.

Poor people should all exhibit exquisite personal responsibility and rich people can do whatever they want, this is the American way.

Oh Internet.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
of course there's the problem also that BMI isn't a fair measurement of whether or not someone's overweight... according to BMI charts I'm overweight but that's muscle mass instead of fat that skews the weight portion of it :shrug:

also, would this mean that fruits and vegetables would be cheaper? that would be awesome because it's cheaper to buy junk food than to buy healthy food... that's why our grocery bills are so crazy around here :dry: