• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should being fat in the United States be illegal?

gromit

likes this
No, it shouldn't. Even if there are health-related costs to the greater public, I don't think "banning" it is the appropriate way to go.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Why should they punish the victims of a terrible food environment which the government continues to openly support and condone?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Then we can make having too low of an IQ illegal. Then we can make having cavities illegal. Everyone knows legislation fixes everything.

MBTI Type
INTJ
If being fat is illegal, then you have to make a lot of convenience foods illegal too. After all, who gets the harsher sentence - the crackhead or the crack dealer?

H

Hate

Why should they punish the victims of a terrible food environment which the government continues to openly support and condone?

I believe this is what is called "the million dollar question."

Considering the high sugar content—Juice should be illegal.

hahaha

Even Jaguar Juice?

7394532692_56e23d65f3_z.jpg

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like a pretty normal attitude. We want thin and healthy workers, but we also want our tasty food. We want the most stimulating smart phones, but we don't want to deal with distracted teenagers. We want [group] out of our neighborhoods, but we don't want to deal with their resistance. Cake/having/eating it too.

Within

Permabanned
I'm going to say yes, because I like to play with the idea of what effects would come following the implementation of such a law. Let's give the fatties a run for their money, literally and figuratively.

H

Hate

I'm going to say yes, because I like to play with the idea of what effects would come following the implementation of such a law. Let's give the fatties a run for their money, literally and figuratively.

Let the revolution begin!

586_zps75871a88.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It'd be nice to see a slimmer America, but making it mandated by law... no way.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Of course not. Forcing fitness is a subset of thought crime, wherein folks must narrowly restrict their personal lives to meet unrealistic demands (more an attempt to control the thoughts and attitudes that go into the behavior, than the behavior itself), eventually opening opportunity to full-blown despotism, in a worst case scenario.

This isn't a serious news story. CNN may have picked it up, but my dime goes towards a "believe it or not" classification than mainstream journalism.

H

Hate

This isn't a serious news story. CNN may have picked it up, but my dime goes towards a "believe it or not" classification than mainstream journalism.

CNN is a joke. I don't consider anything they say "news."