• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I get into baseball?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the game is similar to rounders is here but rounders here has never been a game beyond kids on the street or in the neighbourhood and now not even that, cricket is nothing like and not half as entertaining, I'll admit that its also a game of the upper class and british, its even too classy and too british for a lot of the uber brits among the unionists and loyalists.

I just think of baseball as 100% American, I suppose that American football is the same but I watched it once or twice and it seemed slow and stop compared to rugby.

American baseball is far superior to American football, which appears to me to be nothing more than a bunch of big dumb guys knocking each other down and running around.

Baseball is pretty simple and straight-forward, but I was an American child who was continually forced to play t-ball and softball in gym class, so of course I just kind of take it for granted.

It's the only team sport I can stand to watch for any length of time.

Corn dogs are also fantastic. I highly recommend them.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Play it, don't read about it. :)

You could watch people play to start.

Yeah I really think this reading about it thing is quite odd, unless you've already watched people play it and played it yourself and want to get better at it.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Baseball is slow on the eyes. There's a whole lot of strategy involved in baseball played by really talented teams and the delays or slow periods have a lot to do with teams controlling the pace, and asserting efforts to dominate the other team. And there's lots of ways they do this.

I used to think it was just a slow game. And then a design engineer in my office (INTJ), who considers baseball next to kin (especially the Red Sox-his grandfather was a groundskeeper at Fenway Park), shed some light on how the game is played and explained that it is deeply strategic, actually.

Yes, exactly. And I love the close-up camera angles in MLB that let you see the players and coaches faces (emotions) as this is going on.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, exactly. And I love the close-up camera angles in MLB that let you see the players and coaches faces (emotions) as this is going on.

Haha :D thanks I didn't realize that..that's really quite interesting.

MBTI Type
INTJ
American baseball is far superior to American football, which appears to me to be nothing more than a bunch of big dumb guys knocking each other down and running around.

American football is the most intellectually rigorous and strategic sport for both players and coaches than any other sport I'm familiar with (that would exclude cricket and rugby.) I understand that to someone unfamiliar with the sport, big lumbering dudes are easy to classify as dumb and it's easy to think that there is no method to the madness, but every play is choreographed precisely. The players spend as much time in the classroom as on the practice field to prepare.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And that's exactly why I don't like Football either - brute force and static strategies make it pretty much exactly like a war, and I'm an advocate for world peace!

I think it's better to be able to react spontaneously and transform in accordance with our current frames of action; soccer and basketball offer this dynamic.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
American football is the most intellectually rigorous and strategic sport for both players and coaches than any other sport I'm familiar with (that would exclude cricket and rugby.) I understand that to someone unfamiliar with the sport, big lumbering dudes are easy to classify as dumb and it's easy to think that there is no method to the madness, but every play is choreographed precisely. The players spend as much time in the classroom as on the practice field to prepare.

129159375071010878.jpg

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Baseball is popular for the same reason other sports are popular to watch: you can think of strategies, possibilities, and gauge probabilities. There's always a bit of favoritism in terms of who you want to win, and that's fine. It makes the game more exciting. But baseball changes just as much as any other sport - the changes are just nuanced.

So [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION], do you enjoy Michael Bay movies?

Baseball is slow on the eyes. There's a whole lot of strategy involved in baseball played by really talented teams and the delays or slow periods have a lot to do with teams controlling the pace, and asserting efforts to dominate the other team. And there's lots of ways they do this.

I used to think it was just a slow game. And then a design engineer in my office (INTJ), who considers baseball next to kin (especially the Red Sox-his grandfather was a groundskeeper at Fenway Park), shed some light on how the game is played and explained that it is deeply strategic, actually.

These are right on. It's all about strategy and pace; getting into the other teams heads. It's a great game. :)

KDude

You all sound like bunch of dweebs. Just play the game. Learn the rules along the way. At best, set your analysis on when to steal second.

G

Ginkgo

You all sound like bunch of dweebs. Just play the game. Learn the rules along the way. At best, set your analysis on when to steal second.

Or this.

While it sounds practical, the OP seems to want to get into the game while watching it for the first time... so maybe not so much.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
If you can't figure out Baseball, and rather quickly, then I'd have to question your intelligence level.

Most boring sport.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The sport moves so slowly and just overall sucks pretty dang badly.

Basketball and soccer on the other hand are great sports - you just have to like a state of constant flux.

Clearly change makes for better developments and flat out fun.

This. I'm not a huge sports guy, but I actually find myself capable of being entertained by watching basketball, hockey and soccer.

American football and baseball, on the other hand.... it takes too long for things to HAPPEN.