• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Losing weight why is it so hard for so many people?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The food out there is just bad and metabolism can also be trained but if you look at other parts of the world people aren't as fat as in western culture that says something about our environment.

Exactly.

According to most of the medical studies I've read, the #1 cause for being fat in the Western world is lack of education, followed by the daily use of a car, the lack of a proper stimulating environment that will make you walk. Improving the efficiency of public transportation can have a dramatic effect on the occurrence of obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2919301/

"The use of light rail transit to commute to work was associated with an average −1.18 reduction in BMI (p<0.05) and an 81% reduced odds (95% CI= 0.04, 0.92) of becoming obese over time."

Walking only 1 mile a day will have similar results: the occurence of become obese over time or dying because of a CVA (cerebrovascular accident) is immediately reduced by a tremendous factor.

This is why the equation suburbia (individual housing) + shopping malls + lack of diplomas = fat people is true most of the time.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Actually, the pandemy of obesity on health is so deadly in developped countries that according to statistics, if you want to live the longest, you should rather choose to live in central downtown, in a collective housing set amidst a very dense environment where you have acces to most daily services (food, job, doctor, recreation) by walk or by public transportation only.
Dense urban cores have become the healthiest possible environment: this is a curious paradox because this is exactly the contrary of what was felt and recorded a few decades ago when medical surveys began.

Dozens and dozens of medical studies show this trend. Thirty years ago, NYC's average life expectancy was three or five years below the US average. But today it is amongst the highest... the same phenomena also happened to Paris, London, Seoul, Shanghaï, Hong Kong and Tokyo: everywhere you have a very dense metropolitan core compared to the rest of their country, the average life expectancy is about to become the highest of the nation.

What has suddenly changed, I ask you?

Your opinion interests me. :)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I hate minestrone.

I do love soup though. Mostly homemade borscht, or broccoli cheddar and french onion in restaurants.

I consume a great deal of soup.

I got 99 soups, and minestrone ain't one.

Minestrone is soup that is actually good for you. THe other kinds of soups are full of saults and carbs not bad but not the best either.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me, the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet really helped. None of that gross drinking cream and stuff, though.
I eat fairly normally. Lots of chicken, meat and fish. Replace bread/rice/potatoes etc with greens (that must have a carbohydrate value of less than 5g per 100g).
I have also cut out all forms of half-fabricates/processed food etc.
I try to eat some nuts (only a few, they have carbs) as well as some cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower or such every day, too.
It increases testosterone and blocks estrogen, respectively.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is definitely positive for the metabolism as well as feeling great if you're a man.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
To me, the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet really helped. None of that gross drinking cream and stuff, though.
I eat fairly normally. Lots of chicken, meat and fish. Replace bread/rice/potatoes etc with greens (that must have a carbohydrate value of less than 5g per 100g).
I have also cut out all forms of half-fabricates/processed food etc.
I try to eat some nuts (only a few, they have carbs) as well as some cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower or such every day, too.
It increases testosterone and blocks estrogen, respectively.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is definitely positive for the metabolism as well as feeling great if you're a man.

Excess of testosterone will make you bald, midly neurotic, and can lead to huge social difficulties as well as to an early degeneration of brain cells.

Thus, I just hope for your physical and mental health that so far, your body didn't have enough testosterone, and that you looked fairly androgynous.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Minestrone is soup that is actually good for you. THe other kinds of soups are full of saults and carbs not bad but not the best either.

Homemade borscht is good for you.

Guy V. Malaxia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Excess of testosterone will make you bald, midly neurotic, and can lead to huge social difficulties as well as to an early degeneration of brain cells.

This isn't an issue unless you're taking injections, or other forms of concentrated doses. The risk of getting too much T from a diet similar to Valiant's isn't a realistic concern.

---

Cutting back on the high GI foods works wonders for body composition. White rice and potatoes spike blood suger levels too high for your body to respond in any way other than releasing insulin to store it as adipose tissue. Sugary drinks, almost all forms of candy, cakes, and pastries -- all huge culprits. Scratching them in favor of complex-carb alternatives will do wonders for energy levels and overall well-being.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eat fiber. If you are going to eat fats, esp. saturated fat, eating fiber with it will cause some of the fats to bind with the fiber...and will carry some of the fat out of the body without being absorbed.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eat fiber. If you are going to eat fats, esp. saturated fat, eating fiber with it will cause some of the fats to bind with the fiber...and will carry some of the fat out of the body without being absorbed.

Almost makes me wish they would include fiber as a macro nutrient. I'm eating 30-40g a day of fiber and I think it's a key part of getting full before cravings go crazy.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my general observation people usually fail to lose weight, because they are not actually committed and strong at back of their mind. As for the purpose, first of all you need to be firm on your stand and do whatever it takes. With out any lame excuses.

I KNOW exactly what it takes for me to loose weight. Because I've done it before! I've never been "fat" as I grew up an athlete, but I've definitely been in the high teens bf % and hated myself. ...anyways, I know how to loose weight: in 2008 I was 185. By mid 2010 I was 160. I held that weight for 2 years, but then two corporate jobs got me to 195!!!!

I knew exactly what the mechanism was the whole time: comfort carbs! When I easily lost weight it meant: meat/eggs salsa, veggies/cucumbers hummus or Greek yogurt, super high fiber low carb tortillas, and the ONLY real carbs allowed are the bread on a sandwich. Breakfast was always string cheese.

So if I knew the mechanism, why did I get fat by gobbling up comfort carbs for a straight year? Because I didnt care. I was so miserable with my job and my life eating became a feel good hobby/pastime/entertainment. It wasn't fuel. I haven't worked corporate the past year, and I like my new job, but I kept the old "food as an activity" habits and have stayed fat inspire of exercising.

I finally hit a low point of looking in the mirror, and I'm in two weeks of eating the way I'm supposed to. Avoiding the comfort carbs is easy when you REALLY accept that this IS what you want more than the comfort carbs, that food will no longer be a ****ing activity, but ****ing fuel that it is!!!

So thats why Americans are fat. Most Americans aren't really that happy with their lives, and rather than become alcoholics or cope some other way, they just eat their way into feel good hormones after their ****y days at work.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
This isn't an issue unless you're taking injections, or other forms of concentrated doses. The risk of getting too much T from a diet similar to Valiant's isn't a realistic concern.

Yeah...we're all going the same way anyway, personally I would rather kill myself with protein and weight training and live for a time as strong and athletic, rather than carbohydrates, or alcohol, or sedentariness, or anorexia. But everyone gets to choose thier poison I guess, each to their own.

If I was naturally skinny maybe I would go for a different look, Justin Bieber hairstyle, tight jeans, indie leather jacket, roll up cigarette and a glass of JD and coke. But as I'm a naturally big guy I may as well build on what God gave me. Plus my maternal grandfather was bald, so I would rather go bald slightly sooner and be fit and athletic, than go bald slightly later but be flabby and unathletic. Peronally speaking.

We're all going the same way, so as long as you can do it with style it's all good.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

High testosterone syndrome is a classic and rather commonplace issue amongst men.

Cutting back on the high GI foods works wonders for body composition. White rice and potatoes spike blood suger levels too high for your body to respond in any way other than releasing insulin to store it as adipose tissue. Sugary drinks, almost all forms of candy, cakes, and pastries -- all huge culprits. Scratching them in favor of complex-carb alternatives will do wonders for energy levels and overall well-being.

It's not entirely true, unless you suffer from diabete. First, to lose weight you must have an idea how much energy (kCal) you're assimilating. Sugar is a classic culprit because it releases lot of energy, while proteins don't.
Have you heard of the experiment where a university teacher chooses to eat only candy bars during one month, but slightly less than the recommended 2000 calories/day? He quickly lost weight in the process.

If so many people especially within the anglophone countries tend to get fat, it's first and foremost because most of them eat too much, despite all the excuses they're so eager to imagine.