• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

regular aspirin use linked to blindness

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Long-term aspirin 'blindness link'

People who regularly take aspirin for many years, such as those with heart problems, are more likely to develop a form of blindness, researchers say.

A study on 2,389 people, in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, showed aspirin takers had twice the risk of "wet" age-related macular degeneration.

The disease damages the 'sweet spot' in the retina, obscuring details in the centre of a patient's field of vision.

One in 10 people in the study, conducted at the University of Sydney, were taking aspirin at least once a week. On average the participants were in their mid-60s.

Eye tests were performed after five, 10 and 15 years.

By the end of the study, the researchers showed that 9.3% of patients taking aspirin developed wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD) compared with 3.7% of patients who did not take aspirin.

Their report said: "The increased risk of [wet] AMD was detected only after 10 or 15 years, suggesting that cumulative dosing is important."
Great. Ibuprofen damages your stomach, acetaminophen damages your stomach, and aspirin makes you blind. This is why the only thing I use for pain relief is heroin.

Also, just to be clear:
For patients at risk of cardio-vascular disease, the health risks of stopping or not prescribing aspirin are much higher than those of developing wet AMD.

Lark

That's curious because al the research I'm familiar with indicated that aspirin was a wonder drug and cured pretty much everything, especially if it was taken regularly, it was supposed to have preventative qualities with reference to cancer and such.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Most drugs effect more than the system they are intended to effect, so I'm not that surprised. Also, this new knowledge comes from meta-analysis of data, and it might not have been knowable in another way. I think we'll see lots of this kind of connection in the future as medical technology and data gathering become more sophisticated.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Why do people talk about aspirin like it's some kind of candy that everyone takes?

How do they know that it's not people who will end up with AMD being more likely to take aspirin?