• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is being forever tired semi-normal?

W

WALMART

As long as I can remember, I have been a rather 'tired' person. I fall asleep the instant my head hits the pillow, and I can often force myself to sleep within five minutes, no matter the conditions.

I've always fallen asleep first at sleepovers. I'm known for my incredibly deep sleeps, I would wake up at friends' houses with with a pile of items in front of my face from them throwing things at me.

Just about any time of the day I'm awake, I am ready for a nap. Woke up an hour ago? Sure I'll nap. In my school days I would sleep 10-6, then nap from about 4:30-8. I still, at twenty-four, average about nine hours a day split up over two sleeping periods.

I had a period of a few years where after napping, when I stood, I'd pass out. It was worst during my 'heavy nap' phases, and I still get the sensation, though I now know how to control what triggers the actual fainting.

When I was around six months old, my mother said I once slept for thirty-six hours straight. Being worried, she called the doctor and they said it was relatively normal, I just find the story indicative of my existence.

Uh.... does anyone have experience with this? I feel my consistent lack of energy is responsible for my overall lack of productivity, and I'd like to remedy it. Doctor, perhaps? Moar Red Bulls? I get a fair amount of exercise, enough to stay fitter than the average person I guess. Modern medicine may be my last bastion of hope....

W

WALMART

I'd somewhat thought that, but I've been told when donating plasma my iron content is almost above the upper range of what they will allow. Perhaps the two are non-correlative? I should get that checked.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you snore? I would look into sleep apnea. I suspect that either that or something else is making your sleep less restful than it should be. You can go into a sleep clinic, if you want.

W

WALMART

I do not snore, but I talk an awful lot. Sleep clinic eh? Never heard of them. I'll look into it, thank you.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah you sleep overnight there and they monitor you and see if your sleep is being disrupted by something that (ideally) you can change. Probably not the most restful sleep you'll have, but it can be helpful.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I had a friend who has a mild form of narcolepsy and is treated for it by medication. He is a busy ENFP, and this affords him the ability to be as industrious as he would be if not for the condition. :)

W

WALMART

yeah you sleep overnight there and they monitor you and see if your sleep is being disrupted by something that (ideally) you can change. Probably not the most restful sleep you'll have, but it can be helpful.

Ah, like I said, I can sleep anywhere anytime, lol. Thank you for the information.

I had a friend who has a mild form of narcolepsy and is treated for it by medication. He is a busy ENFP, and this affords him the ability to be as industrious as he would be if not for the condition. :)

Yes, medication. I have a feeling this will be the route I will have to go. I kind of wanted to stay away from regular medication in my life, but if the shoe fits...

Usehername

On a mission
I think being a biphasic sleeper is probably contributing significantly to your problem. Get 9 hours straight every night for a week and then see if there's any difference.

W

WALMART

I think being a biphasic sleeper is probably contributing significantly to your problem. Get 9 hours straight every night for a week and then see if there's any difference.

D:

I agree, I've thought that as well. I can sleep for that long straight, but it will not alleviate my desire to nap later into the day. Believe it or not, it will cause me to go back to bed sooner... Actually, that reminds me, Oakysage once had the thought of drinking a cup of coffee right before napping, in hopes I suppose that the caffeine will stimulate the mind before any deeper stages of sleep can be developed. Perhaps that will assist my elimination of polyphasic sleeping. A cup, right before napping..... hm. Thank you for your input.

gromit

likes this
I'd somewhat thought that, but I've been told when donating plasma my iron content is almost above the upper range of what they will allow. Perhaps the two are non-correlative? I should get that checked.

It could be many things. Hypothyroid, apnea, anemia, or something else. If you want to tinker with different variables yourself, couldn't see the harm to that. However, if you feel it's impairing your life, I'd recommend seeing a medical professional.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It could be many things. Hypothyroid, apnea, anemia, or something else. If you want to tinker with different variables yourself, couldn't see the harm to that. However, if you feel it's impairing your life, I'd recommend seeing a medical professional.
Yeah. Awhile back I had an endocrine panel. It checked TSH, T3, T4, testosterone, and a few other things I can't remember. I'm on Synthroid.

Usehername

On a mission
D:

I agree, I've thought that as well. I can sleep for that long straight, but it will not alleviate my desire to nap later into the day. Believe it or not, it will cause me to go back to bed sooner... Actually, that reminds me, Oakysage once had the thought of drinking a cup of coffee right before napping, in hopes I suppose that the caffeine will stimulate the mind before any deeper stages of sleep can be developed. Perhaps that will assist my elimination of polyphasic sleeping. A cup, right before napping..... hm. Thank you for your input.

Your claims about what the outcomes are, so far as we have evidence for, are only true in your broken, biphasic system. I'm saying you need to commit to systemic change for a week and gather data if you want to solve your problem.

This transition period into sleeping as a monophaser for a week is near-guaranteed to show poor outcomes of the kinds you've already described, but you can't figure out your issue without first transitioning into monophasic sleep.

If you don't go through a transitory period in order to see what happens when you sleep as a monophaser for a week, then you don't really want to solve your problem, it means you're quite comfortable with the "bad sleeper" identity. Which is fine and all, but then don't pretend you want to solve it. :D

W

WALMART

Your claims about what the outcomes are, so far as we have evidence for, are only true in your broken, biphasic system. I'm saying you need to commit to systemic change for a week and gather data if you want to solve your problem.

This transition period into sleeping as a monophaser for a week is near-guaranteed to show poor outcomes of the kinds you've already described, but you can't figure out your issue without first transitioning into monophasic sleep.

If you don't go through a transitory period in order to see what happens when you sleep as a monophaser for a week, then you don't really want to solve your problem, it means you're quite comfortable with the "bad sleeper" identity. Which is fine and all, but then don't pretend you want to solve it. :D

I see. I shall attempt, in the coming week, to measure the time of my 'long' sleep, and extend it to what I would normally get in a full day. The hard part will be not napping D: lol. I'll maybe update this thread with my findings.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ah, like I said, I can sleep anywhere anytime, lol. Thank you for the information.

Randominity is correct, and this is one of the things you should look into before you start looking to medicate. It's not about the length or ability to sleep, but the type of sleep you are getting.

Assuming your age is correct (mid-20's), things you can try right now;

1) Set a regular sleep time and wake up time, never nap, never deviate from the sleep routine.
2) Cut out caffeine (namely). If you cannot, leave as much time as you can between consuming and sleeping.
3) In general, don't drink. Drinking a couple of hours before bed will cause issues. There are lots of other drugs that can be mentioned here, but this is common and highly disruptive.
4) Excersize - I note that you are physically active, but make sure you get ~30 min (~20min minimum extertion time) where you have an elevated heart rate.

The generic advice is to sleep in the same place and no where else, and don't do anything else where you sleep. It would probably help, assuming you do all the other stuff.

Also, check your environment. Is there a pattern to becoming sleepy? At home, indoors, etc? If you are getting sleepy outside on sunny days, chances are it has to do with the sleep you are already getting; if you never get sleepy, it could be your cues that aren't quite right (like blue light, etc.). A schedule will help either way, probably, but you'll probably need the sleep clinic to see what is "wrong" with your existing sleep.

---

Seeing a doctor after this would likely get you passed through to medication (assuming a lack of depression, stress and so forth). A good doctor wouldn't jump to medicating sleep issues (presuming you don't have a family doctor you have talked with about this before).

---

I didn't realise you are a biphasic sleeper.

1) You cannot nap. Ever.

2) You will never feel fully rested as a biphasic sleeper; it's not that it can't work, but it is never equivalent.

The same comments I made above apply , however there is very little point to a sleep clinic or a solid doctor: in both cases, the answer is to return to a normal sleep pattern.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suggest avoiding carb rich foods for a while.