• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Short Rant- people telling people they're too skinny

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people telling me I'm too skinny and need to eat more is just as rude as me telling someone they're too fat and need to eat less.

And people have told me this a lot, and it's always fat people. I should say "No thanks, I'd rather look like me than you." For the record, I'm not anorexic, nor do I look it. I'm just skinny. I think they're jealous.

Opinions on the propriety of this?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh here's an idea, I could just reply "You're too fat and you need to eat less."

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well if people's ribs and other various bones are showing, I'd say they're too skinny. Otherwise, they probably are jealous. I'll admit that I am jealous of people that are skinnier than me. Don't think of it as rude, think of it as a compliment. These people probably want to look more like you.

But seriously, though, if your ribs and stuff are showing, you really do need to eat more.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, they just jelly lol. At least they're not trying to eat you right?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well if people's ribs and other various bones are showing, I'd say they're too skinny. Otherwise, they probably are jealous. I'll admit that I am jealous of people that are skinnier than me. Don't think of it as rude, think of it as a compliment. These people probably want to look more like you.

But seriously, though, if your ribs and stuff are showing, you really do need to eat more.
Sorry, I know I should just take it as a compliment; but it makes me mad because it seems to be implying I'm not attractive. Like they think larger women with bigger boobs are sexier. Which is fine as a preference, but not to say to someone.

My bones may show through in some places at times, but I'm healthy. And at least I can run away from danger without extra weight slowing me down. I'd rather be too skinny than too fat any day. I'm not living in the effing Arctic.
Yeah, they just jelly lol. At least they're not trying to eat you right?
I hope not. It would make more sense for me to eat them.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i get this all the time. i was the skinniest bridesmaid at a wedding this summer and they were all hella rude to me and kept making comments about how i needed to eat a cheeseburger and shit. i wouldn't tell them that they shouldn't eat cheeseburgers. actually someone on this forum repped me something like that when i posted a picture here once so i took it down.

G

Glycerine

2/3 of Americans are fat so there is a distorted standard of what's normal.... THEY WANT YOU TO CONFORM!!! :burns:

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you can keep your metabolism high and be fat too,, you're basically good for going outdoors. :D

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah this happens to me too. I'm skinny and can't help it. I'm kinda glad because I have bad knees and a bad hip due to congenital problems plus an accident so I can do without any extra weight.

That's another thing I get - people telling me to exercise when I get at least ten times the exercise that they do especially when I walk everywhere possible.

I don't dare mention pain because I'll get a lecture about sitting at the computer - which I don't do constantly, I go outside and walk quite a lot in a day but this gets conveniently ignored - as if sitting at a computer has a magical ability to cause ailments any more than sitting at a television all day long like they do.

I'm serious. They sit all day long only moving when necessary and don't exercise at all, and have the nerve to lecture me about being idle? I get more exercise than my entire family put together.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think people telling me I'm too skinny and need to eat more is just as rude as me telling someone they're too fat and need to eat less.

And people have told me this a lot, and it's always fat people. I should say "No thanks, I'd rather look like me than you." For the record, I'm not anorexic, nor do I look it. I'm just skinny. I think they're jealous.

I agree, as I'm skinny too. Although people dont' necessarily tell me I'm "too" skinny but it seems if you're tall and thin they feel they have carte blanche to comment on it. Especially the tall thing - I'm six feet tall.

To be honest - if you live in the US, and you're skinny, the contrast is going to be greater as many people are very overweight and perhaps that's almost more "normal". I live in a major European city so a lot of people are fairly thin anyway (more of a big city thing, and more of a European thing.) So the tall thing stands out more.

I'm told that when men come up to me and say "how tall are you?" or "wow, you're very tall" it's usually an attempt to start a conversation/awkward pickup line, but it really kind of annoys me as I hear it so much. I mean, I don't usually act annoyed right away but if they harp on it, I probably will. ;) Guys get more points for simply paying me a compliment without reference to my height. If you HAVE to comment on my height, then by all means tell me I look like a model. ;)

Anyway, re the skinny thing - yes. Saying "wow, you're really fat/too fat" wouldn't be considered appropriate in most circles, so...

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I have no problem telling someone they are too fat, if it is a risk to their health.

I also have no problem telling someone they are too skinny for the same reasons.

Fortunately most people arent either of these extremes and I find others use their own subjective evaluation to purport that people are either too fat or too skinny...when usually they are neither. I certainly wouldn't call [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7991]chana[/MENTION] too skinny...that's just silly.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Apparently, women are always either too skinny or too fat (For what? Existing? Feasting other people's eyes? Who knows?). As long as Cosmo makes a pretty penny, the "magic number" will be a secret. :smile:

Female body policing and objectification at its finest, I suppose. :/

/2¢

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It can be intrusive. When I was younger I was too skinny, and people would sometimes tell me they wanted to fatten me up with peanut butter, etc. It usually embarrassed me, and it wasn't news to me. It does strike me odd that people think you don't know about your body or other personal aspects of self. When people told me I was too skinny I felt like saying, "Yeah? well you haven't seen me naked, and I have so guess who probably knows more about what my body looks like?"

R

Riva

I certainly wouldn't call greenfairy and chana too skinny...that's just silly.

It was me.

i get this all the time. i was the skinniest bridesmaid at a wedding this summer and they were all hella rude to me and kept making comments about how i needed to eat a cheeseburger and shit. i wouldn't tell them that they shouldn't eat cheeseburgers. actually someone on this forum repped me something like that when i posted a picture here once so i took it down.

It was me.

You made me - the person who repped you - sound like a real A-hole.

I also said you looked beautiful and that I liked what you've done with your hair - curls I believe.

Dammit woman I like that picture. Don't be a prude. Upload it back.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah this happens to me too. I'm skinny and can't help it. I'm kinda glad because I have bad knees and a bad hip due to congenital problems plus an accident so I can do without any extra weight.

That's another thing I get - people telling me to exercise when I get at least ten times the exercise that they do especially when I walk everywhere possible.

I don't dare mention pain because I'll get a lecture about sitting at the computer - which I don't do constantly, I go outside and walk quite a lot in a day but this gets conveniently ignored - as if sitting at a computer has a magical ability to cause ailments any more than sitting at a television all day long like they do.

I'm serious. They sit all day long only moving when necessary and don't exercise at all, and have the nerve to lecture me about being idle? I get more exercise than my entire family put together.

That's messed up! Sorry you have pain. :/ Good that you get exercise and don't watch TV- I think television rots the brain.

Apparently, women are always either too skinny or too fat (For what? Existing? Feasting other people's eyes? Who knows?). As long as Cosmo makes a pretty penny, the "magic number" will be a secret. :smile:

Female body policing and objectification at its finest, I suppose. :/

/2¢
For sure. And people thinking they need to mind other people's business.

And yes, I do think it's largely because so many Americans are overweight that it happens a lot here.

It can be intrusive. When I was younger I was too skinny, and people would sometimes tell me they wanted to fatten me up with peanut butter, etc. It usually embarrassed me, and it wasn't news to me. It does strike me odd that people think you don't know about your body or other personal aspects of self. When people told me I was too skinny I felt like saying, "Yeah? well you haven't seen me naked, and I have so guess who probably knows more about what my body looks like?"

Haha, good point.
It was me.

It was me.

You made me - the person who repped you - sound like a real A-hole.

I also said you looked beautiful and that I liked what you've done with your hair - curls I believe.

Please don't go around saying this to women, because if you do that's what you actually are.

R

Riva

Please don't go around saying this to women, because if you do that's what you actually are.

I didn't say she looks skinny I said she looks slim in that particular picture. She has the ideal structure for her age and height.

By the way I also said -

I hope you are not one of those fanatics who take every word out of context and would argue for hours and hours, because I am not in the mood. Bottom line is I said/believe she looks beautiful and that she looks quite slim in that particular pic.

Hmmm....

Maye I am in the mood :happy2:.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't say she looks skinny I said she looks slim in that particular picture. She has the ideal structure for her age and height.

By the way I also said -

I hope you are not one of those fanatics who take every word out of context and would argue for hours and hours, because I am not in the mood. Bottom line is I said/believe she looks beautiful and that she looks quite slim in that particular pic.

Hmmm....

Maye I am in the mood :happy2:.

Telling someone they look slim is fine, but you also said "It was me" a couple of times, and I took that to mean it was you who was calling people too skinny (since you were responding to comments of that nature).

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I used to get that all the time when I was a kid, because I was a very tall and skinny kid, and I hated it too. Now, though I am within the healthy weight range for my heights, I wouldn't mind hearing it now and then. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have no problem telling someone they are too fat, if it is a risk to their health.

I also have no problem telling someone they are too skinny for the same reasons.

How is it any of your business, either way? Are you a doctor? Even if you are, are you THEIR doctor?

greenfairy, I hate body snarking of any kind. I was teased mercilessly for being a little chubby as a teen. In reality I was completely normal. Now, my daughter is tall and thin like her dad. At one time I was glad she wouldn't face the teasing I did for being fat. But people at school call her "skinny" and "anorexic" and it bothers her. I didn't realize as a teen that the thin girls got similar comments about their body. Everybody should just STFU and MYOB.

Jaguar

Just tell them to piss off. Easy solution. ;)