• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fat People

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of us drive a Prius that requires very little fuel to run. Others drive crazy high-performance sportscars that guzzle fuel.

I would have been a kick-ass cavewoman- I can store that shit all damn winter.

I know its true because before i was on meds i ate the same and gained very little weight, a year after being put on meds i gained 20lbs and yes part of it could be my metabolism slowing down but when i got put on prozac i gained 20lbs in 2 months i got off it and the two meds i'm on now (latuda which is weight neutral supposedly but we'll see) and ablify (never gained weight on it) I should actually begin to lose weight.

Okay, yeah, I did some quick research. It's like you said. You get fatigued much easier because you have a harder time accessing your energy, stored or otherwise.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Okay, yeah, I did some quick research. It's like you said. You get fatigued much easier because you have a harder time accessing your energy, stored or otherwise.

yeah that makes sense, on prozac i was sleeping 18 hours a day and still felt exhausted and i was only on 30mg and there are people on lot higher doses than that.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

That's possibly true too, but that's not exactly what I meant. It happens with the same level of exercise, too (and in my case, with even a dramatic increase in exercise). I'm more active than most people I know.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's possibly true too, but that's not exactly what I meant. It happens with the same level of exercise, too (and in my case, with even a dramatic increase in exercise). I'm more active than most people I know.

and take me i use to be 130 did jack shit and stayed skinny opposite of ivy.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's more of a "rate of burning" thing. Like those "how many calories you burned" readouts on the treadmill, they're misleading because not everybody burns at the same rate. If they were totally accurate, they'd be lower for people with more efficient metabolisms (me) and higher for people with less efficient metabolisms (prpl). Having an efficient metabolism would have been a gift in a hunter/gatherer setting, but it's a curse today.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
In addition to all of what's been mentioned, there's research lately indicating that overweight people have a higher load of toxins (for a variety of reasons including diet, meds, not drinking sufficient water not sweating sufficiently, lack of circulation/movement and so on) that in turn results in them retaining water and the metabolism slows down.

I never knew before, but allergies also induce significant amounts of water retention (think of how swollen and puffy your eyes get and then apply that same picture to every tissue in the body. For example, I started eating very healthily and exercising for the first time in my life, yet gained 40 pounds in a short amount of time. My legs were swollen enough that by the end, I couldn't even wear shoes without them digging into my skin. However, as soon as I went off gluten, after being diagnosed as celiac, 25 pounds dropped off without even trying. I still am dealing with some kind of issues (my fingers fluctuate wildly between me not being able to wear rings and then my rings falling off), my weight fluctuates more than 5 pounds in a day, and I can see some days when my face is puffier than others. I also have cellulite for the first time in my life.

I have quit drinking coke, have quit hot chocolate, don't eat sugar, am tracking the food I eat, get an hour of exercise a day, and am eating regular meals with enough protein in them. I think it will take time for my metabolism to get back to normal and I also suspect I have some kind of dairy problem that's messing things up still, even though I don't drink milk anymore.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] pretty much the only dairy i can handle is yoghurt. As much as i love cheese, i've had to say goodbye. It was a sad parting :c

My medication was largely responsible for me gaining a significant amount of weight, even though i was still exercising and eating well, the weight just kept adding on.

I've now cut out dairy, gluten, fats (i pretty much use no oils anymore), processed (any kind) foods and upping the exercise and it's starting to drop off as my metabolism starts to kick back in.

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Packaged food is low in nutrition and fiber, high in salt and sugar calories, but is cheaper than nutritious, high fiber, low calorie foods.

It's more because it tastes better.

Is it excercise phobia, not knowing what to put into your body or, a cultural thing?

It's not a phobia unless, perhaps, someone is really fat and refuses to leave their home lest they be judged by a culture that stigmatizes fat people for being unhealthy, which could sometimes be the case (though, of course, fat people aren't always anymore healthy or unhealthy than the next person). So in this way, I guess it's a cultural thing.

But I think what's more likely is that high calorie food tastes good and exercise is a tedious and tiring chore.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Is it excercise phobia, not knowing what to put into your body or, a cultural thing?

Why are fat people, fat?

Genetic factors, health and diet all contribute. Some people have a slow metabolism.
Some have less ability to burn off fat, carbs, calories, etc.

I used to be a rather big guy weighing in at about 300 pounds.
I wallowed in self-loathing as I ingested soda, burgers and beer like they were going out of season.

Eventually, I slowed up on the poor dieting and dropped the video game controller (for the most part).
I partake in more physical activities now. I feel a lot better; a lot lighter.

I'm not a health fiend but I look back in disgust, my prior habits.

Currently, I'm in the low(er) 200s.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Another one that gets overlooked is drinking calories.

Drinking calories is just like eating them - this includes milk and vegetable or fruit juice. Why is it a problem though?

Your body doesn't treat liquid energy in the same way it does when digesting solid foods. Often these are empty calories in comparison to an equivalent food even when the drink is a 'healthy' drink.

Better off with water.

Silence

Permabanned
MBTI Type
mute

Why are fat people, fat?

Cause they consume more than they burn off.
Which provides a few simple solutions: Stop fucking eating so much and/or work out and live a more active lifestyle.
Some fat people will claim that they can work out all they want and they still stay fat and blah blah blah blah blah... Bullshit.
Take those people and have them live in the woods for a year. They wont be fat a year later cause their body will use the fat they have for energy and wont be getting an excess of sugars, carbs, calories, fat, etc.. that aren't being used.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One more cause: addiction.

Food is associated with family, love and generally good fuzzy feelings. Add to that the addictive qualities of sugar (and we have some serious sugar overload in our foods) and the general principle (at least here from the generation after the war) to always clear your plate and well..its a recipe for disaster. Food can act like alcohol, drugs and all the other addictive substances, in that it is truly easier to take a trip down memory lane stuffing your face to experience that feeling of contentness, love and warmth, than it is to confront whatever you are running from and actually work through it. And really..it is a lot easier to stuff something in your mouth and literally eat the emotions you are feeling, when someone is screaming at you that you are a worthless **** and you need to get your act together, and make yourself temporarily functional again (since you dont have to deal with the emotions anymore), than it is to tell them to fuck off, give you some space and let you work out what the hell is going on. Especially if you were raised that how you *feel* isn't exactly relevant to *anything* *ever* and you need to get with the program NOW.

On top of that...you have to eat 3 times a day and binging is triggered when you do not eat, which screws up your metabolism.

Iow: it is a vicious cycle. You eat because you feel lousy, you feel guilty coz you overate, which makes you in turn feel lousy and eat again, your metabolism gets all screwed up, your body asks for real food (and not the sugary fatty kind) making you feel lousy again, which makes you binge again. And your life becomes controlled by food. Both deprivation and actual physical pain from overeating. Deprivation becomes your worst fear, as food becomes your best friend/ abusive husband. Sure, it has horrid consequences (but in your mind you deserve them anyways) but at least you will be able to deal with whatever come your way, or so it feels.

It becomes a habit, as it is a pain you can control (and use to punish yourself, by deliberately overeating when youve disappointed yourself). Which is preferable to the emotional pain that you have no clue how to deal with since you were never taught properly. In this, it is akin to cutting yourself.

Add to that the fact that fat people are often treated worse than lepers and seen as lazy and dumb by society, as well as the fact that it aint like you can quit eating (like you can quit drinking for instance in order to fix the problem), as well as the fact that your guilty pleasure is broadcasted for all to see (after all, you carry it around on your body, its not like you can hide it, like a gambling-problem for instance) and the guilt, shame and misery your psyche gets submerged in only pushes you down faster. It is like wearing a shame-billboard, to invite bullying.

And so you eat more. The heavier you get, the less you are inclined to get out of bed (digesting is actually energy consuming like mad and so your body feels sleepy all the time), or do something, contributing to the laziness-stigma, making matters worse, as well as your libido dropping, both due to the apathy and the body-image issues that follow and your interest in exercise goes out the window with all of that as well, since you cannot muster the energy and your body is so out of shape that it seriously becomes a frigging mountain you have to climb every time just to get started. You effectively become a prisoner within your own body.

The worst part is that, like any addiction, you have to want to make the change and somehow find the strength and conviction that a) you *are* worth fighting for, b) you do deserve better and c) people are idiots so who cares what they think. As most of these people usually suffer from incredible low self-esteem, and incredible sensitivity to guilt-tripping and shaming, it can be immensely hard to crawl out of this pit.

For loved ones, the pain of seeing the person they care for suffer and inflict that suffering upon themselves can turn their love into resentment and despair as they find all their good intentions going down the drain (since those are often experienced more like more guilt-tripping and shaming, with the person finding themselves unable to live up to their expectations, in essence only making things worse). There *is* no way to help them, except for support them in their every move, and not getting disheartened at their stumbling and relapsing along the way, which most people are not cut out for.

Before anyone asks, this disease is rampant in my family, hence my knowledge on the subject. My aunt, for instance, is at the point where she can no longer take care of herself and has been stuck in a depression for over 15 years, at the very least. And she gains weight *every* year, is unable to keep herself clean, clean her house to the point where she actually smells. It has destroyed her life. And she isn't the only one, unfortunately.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think some of it is just activity and metabolism based and some people have an easier time then others just based on the makeup of there body. People wonder all the time how I am not obese and gigantic. When I was younger I have eaten around 11 sandwhiches in a sitting or 4 burgers for lunch and by 7th grade I could finish a pizza by myself. My breakfaqst was usually 4 peanutbutter and jelly sandwhiches with chocolate milk. In junior high my lunch was 2-3 nutter butters and 2 chocolate milks. My snack in high school was a chocolate shake and 2 hersheys sunday pies from burger king(frequently my breakfast as well). Then age set in and I cant eat quite that much anymore.

This is not to say that those lazy people who just sit around and do nothing can claim its hereditary. Just some have a harder battle then others.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone put because they wanted to? Had a nice big belly.

I have been told by a female that a fat person is a happy person...this is so long as they dont have overweight image issues and are comfortable with the way they look.

wolfy

awsm
I have been told by a female that a fat person is a happy person...this is so long as they dont have overweight image issues and are comfortable with the way they look.

Yeah, I guess like with most things it is your attitude.