• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fat People

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it excercise phobia, not knowing what to put into your body or, a cultural thing?

Why are fat people, fat?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because they don't burn off all their calories, so the body stores the remainder.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know it's because they don't burn off fat, I want to know why they don't burn off fat.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Packaged food is low in nutrition and fiber, high in salt and sugar calories, but is cheaper than nutritious, high fiber, low calorie foods.

So it’s a bit more complicated than ‘calories in, calories out.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lots of reasons. The whole low-carb vs. high-carb debate in the nutrition world today is about how hormones have a profound effect on this--in that they are the mechanism by which the energy balance is physically carried out & enforced, but how & why hormones get out of whack is the real question, and I'm coming around to the perception that it's partly environment/societal/mental influences (i.e. cheap food happens to be high in calories, it often makes us happy to eat it, therefore we eat lots of it) and the societal factors that enable us to exercise less (cheap & relatively abundant energy allows us to drive instead of walk, keep the house's thermostat high in the winter instead of burning more calories dealing with lower temps, etc) along with internal/innate medical state (i.e. genetics, your body's personal tune in its reaction to stress, any physiological influences your body may have picked up from your mother during your time in the womb, the effect of digestive flora on the availability of calories from food, etc)

The biggest question is, say, how can one person eat 3000 calories/day and be skinny as a twig (and maintain that) while another gains weight readily on it. Lots of stuff going on there and IMO not enough quality research to explain it yet.

(disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a layman who's read a lot of crap.)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
what spirilis said. not the answer I suspect you wanted, though, since it doesn't make thin people more virtuous for taking better care of themselves. I also suspect there are factors we haven't yet fully explored/understood (e.g. endocrine disruption).

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
too many reasons, some of which are:

• the foods that we eat today are designed to be hyperpalatable and are relatively low in nutrient density, so it doesn't have the satiety factor of real, natural foods. They also short circuits the dopamine reward-circuit system so it's easy to exceed caloric requirements without realizing it.
  • more sedentary lifestyle. Not just active exercise but even things like sitting vs. standing makes a lot of difference in energy expenditure over time. Also we just tend to spend less time ambulating than we did before desk jobs became the norm.
  • epigenetics...yeah...something about that.
  • emotional eating - some people haven't really learned to process and deal with their emotions appropriately so they tend to stuff it down with food. I admit I used to belong in this category...I denied it, of course. But true to my Enneagram type, it was because I was so unaware. It's only looking at it in retrospect with the knowledge that I have now that it became clear.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's kinda difficult to believe you don't actually already know the answer to this.

Some of it is genetic... Some of it has to do with the relationship you have with yourself.

Some may nurture themselves with comfort food/ relaxation... others nurture themselves with healthy food/ lifestyle

My thought is that it should be a bit of both.

People need to learn how to say yes by saying no and vice versa.
It's not deprivation if you look at it right.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=585]spirilis[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15967]Kayness[/MENTION]: Nice summation. I guess to add to what you are saying:

1. It's not just about having a high metabolism; some people can eat processed carbs without gaining weight, while others gain weight with even a moderate to small amount.

2. Sedentary jobs can be a huge factor. Did you know that simply standing for 8 hours will burn more calories than sitting for 8 hours and going to the gym for 45 minutes after work?

3. Other medical issues. You can't out-diet thyroid issues or side effects from certain medicines, for example.

4. Once overweight, it is enormously difficult to lose that weight and keep it off. Many people think it's just a matter of a bit of will power and dieting, but in reality the difficulty is on par with quitting smoking. Except you don't have to smoke several times a day to survive. It takes a near-obsessive amount of attention to food and exercise to lose a significant amount of weight, and any dieter who isn't prepared for that is unlikely to succeed.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's an entire thread about fat people? Leave it to an INTP.

P.S.: you can find better information on this by doing your own research than by asking people on this forum.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
more nutritionism. :coffee:

Starch (Carbs) Is the Devil! ... So is sugar!

I have proof!

Practitioners of nutritionsm (trend science, journalism and marketing) -as the new priesthood, telling you which component to demonize and sanctify this month/year only to have it change in the near future.

Michael Pollan said:
From Food Culture to Food Science. The last important change wrought by the Western diet is not, strictly speaking, ecological. But the industrialization of our food that we call the Western diet is systematically destroying traditional food cultures. Before the modern food era — and before nutritionism — people relied for guidance about what to eat on their national or ethnic or regional cultures. We think of culture as a set of beliefs and practices to help mediate our relationship to other people, but of course culture (at least before the rise of science) has also played a critical role in helping mediate people’s relationship to nature. Eating being a big part of that relationship, cultures have had a great deal to say about what and how and why and when and how much we should eat. Of course when it comes to food, culture is really just a fancy word for Mom, the figure who typically passes on the food ways of the group — food ways that, although they were never “designed” to optimize health (we have many reasons to eat the way we do), would not have endured if they did not keep eaters alive and well.

The sheer novelty and glamour of the Western diet, with its 17,000 new food products introduced every year, and the marketing muscle used to sell these products, has overwhelmed the force of tradition and left us where we now find ourselves: relying on science and journalism and marketing to help us decide questions about what to eat. Nutritionism, which arose to help us better deal with the problems of the Western diet, has largely been co-opted by it, used by the industry to sell more food and to undermine the authority of traditional ways of eating. You would not have read this far into this article if your food culture were intact and healthy; you would simply eat the way your parents and grandparents and great-grandparents taught you to eat. The question is, Are we better off with these new authorities than we were with the traditional authorities they supplanted? The answer by now should be clear.

read him!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
meds could be a reason, anti depressants, and anti psychotics are lot of times culprits. lack of exercise, lack of healthy eating ect

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Also- as a fat athlete I can tell you it is absolutely not about "exercise phobia" for me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oh genetics, some people have crappy genetics when it comes to weight, they might have a thyroid problem or something else that prevents them from losing weight. they can exercise eat right ect and still be fat.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh genetics, some people have crappy genetics when it comes to weight, they might have a thyroid problem or something else that prevents them from losing weight. they can exercise eat right ect and still be fat.

People say that, but I don't understand. Doesn't that somehow violate the laws of conservation of energy? Mass doesn't come from nowhere. Perhaps their bodies don't have access somehow to previously stored fat. I dunno.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
People say that, but I don't understand. Doesn't that somehow violate the laws of conservation of energy? Mass doesn't come from nowhere. Perhaps their bodies don't have access somehow to previously stored fat. I dunno.

ever known some one on some of the anti psychotics, or has a thyroid problem and you see them exercising eating a low cal diet ect and still are fat?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ever known some one on some of the anti psychotics, or has a thyroid problem and you see them exercising eating a low cal diet ect and still are fat?

No, I haven't. And even so, it's very hard to tell what people are actually doing unless you happen to be around them all of the time.. I do know of many people who eat much more than they claim to or realize. I'm just curious if that condition is very common at all.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Some of us drive a Prius that requires very little fuel to run. Others drive crazy high-performance sportscars that guzzle fuel.

I would have been a kick-ass cavewoman- I can store that shit all damn winter.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No, I haven't. And even so, it's very hard to tell what people are actually doing unless you happen to be around them all of the time.. I do know of many people who eat much more than they claim to or realize. I'm just curious if that condition is very common at all.

I know its true because before i was on meds i ate the same and gained very little weight, a year after being put on meds i gained 20lbs and yes part of it could be my metabolism slowing down but when i got put on prozac i gained 20lbs in 2 months i got off it and the two meds i'm on now (latuda which is weight neutral supposedly but we'll see) and ablify (never gained weight on it) I should actually begin to lose weight.