• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

8 Colors of Fitness

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
A former college adminstrator who spent years giving the MBTI has written a book about exercise based on the theory. There are 8 styles, or attitudes about exercise and fitness; based on your type or "color," different ways of working out will be more successful for you. In this case, successful includes feeling motivated enough to get to the gym, pool or hiking trail.

Here's a short preview:

Blue - safety oriented; good at creating space at a gym
Gold - traditional
Red - respond quickly to the physical world
White - planners who like calm spaces and don't like to be rushed
Green - nature beckons; like to be outside
Purple - routine-oriented
Saffron - like making workouts into play; value individual expression
Silver - like exercise to be disguised as fun and a way to meet people

There's a test here:

the8colorsoffitness.com - Home

Article here:

'The 8 Colors of Fitness' tries to motivate

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting, Jae! I tested out as a Purple: pursuer with a plan.

I'd say that reflects my general modus operandi. When I'm piqued, I get after something with the agonizing focus of a Jack Russell.

Purples prefer to control their own environment and can be surprisingly disturbed by what they perceive as out-of- place elements in their surroundings. It is in the nature of Purples to orient toward a routine, become comforted by it, and take pleasure in completing their plan as envisioned. Active Purples are occupied with a constant quest for increased competency and self-improvement...

So true.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
The 8 Colors of Fitness Test said:
The White Canvas: Trailblazers on Familiar Paths

Motivation, Approach, and Focus

Whites approach exercise as they do everything else, with planning and structure—that is, after sufficient reflection time. Reflection, in fact, is the hallmark of their personality. They don’t jump into anything head first, including fitness. Whites need time to do the research, check out facilities, and imagine scenarios—all preliminary elements undertaken to create a comprehensive plan. Whites are habitually oriented and comfortable with the familiar; once they’ve made their plan to include regular physical activity in their routine, it becomes a cherished part of their life. It doesn’t slip out easily, but is challenged when their routine is disrupted by travel, moving to another city or other such changes.

Disciplined and independent, Whites are self-organized and attracted to physical exercise they can structure at their own pace. Much thought goes into each element of a White’s exercise program—and a program it is, complete with categories for cardio, strength, and flexibility—and even classifications such as social, light, moderate, and intense. As Intuitives, they readily see the mind/body/soul connection and will often include exercise that provides for that as a category. At times they may enjoy being accountable to a fitness trainer, as long as they’ve had a role in directing the activity.

While they might consult fitness literature or schedule some sessions with a trainer, they typically develop their own exercise program based on specific results they’ve established as important and achievable. Whites think ahead and loosely envision their weekly exercise program, mentally keeping tabs, identifying times in which each part will happen. Unlike other types who are energized by spontaneous activities, Whites don’t like to be swept up in someone else’s agenda. They tend to stick with their plan.

Physical activity provides a refreshing respite, giving them an opportunity to get away from it all—from work, the phone, people, requests, and family responsibilities. It’s a time to de-stress, thing about things and be with their internal visions.

Environment and Interpersonal Connections

Whites seek comfort and familiarity in their exercise environments. Placing high value on tranquil and calm environments, Whites are easily jarred by interruptions and chaos. Whites require orderly environments for exercise, which provide the necessary calm for them to relax and receive the mental benefits of exercise as well as the physical. At a large fitness center, they are likely to find an out of the way spot to exercise, or they might join a small gym off the beaten path. Whites don’t mean to be rude, but they go to a gym to work out.

Chit chat and noise are distracting, and cell phones are a special irritant. Characteristically, Whites prefer keeping a low profile at the gym. They are turned off by “see and be seen” fitness centers. They typically don’t like to bump into people from work or other parts of their lives at the gym.

White Efficients

- White Efficients expect trainers to have a high level of proficiency and knowledge and will challenge them with tough questions.

White Harmonies

- White Harmonies look for friendly and supportive personal trainers. They respond best to trainers who communicate their interest and caring, and at the same time are committed to helping them reach their goals.
I agree with most of it.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Green. Pretty pointless test, it asks if I like being outdoors and then says I like being outdoors.

Course, I said the same thing about the MBTI.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Saffron Seeking: Making Workouts into Play

Motivation, Approach, Focus
Saffrons prefer an easy-going and casual lifestyle and are attracted to easy access to exercise that requires minimal process or advance planning. Keeping plans to a minimum provides more opportunities to enjoy the kick they get when life hands them the unexpected. For them, serendipity provides an extra measure of enjoyment and fun. Though Saffrons appreciate being physically active, imposed routines and schedules that limit their flexibility to engage on their own terms soon become burdens that inhibit rather than encourage physical activity.

Although their outward demeanor is relaxed, inwardly Saffrons can be intense. With a challenge in front of them, they apply themselves to the task with quiet commitment. Competitive—with themselves more than others—Saffrons are engaged in setting difficult and often physically demanding goals. Physical pursuits are in fact a great balance to their intensity, providing a cleansing relief from constant inner analysis, debate, and searching.

Independent, and often perfectionists, Saffrons are drawn to activities that require a high level of performance. Boredom can be a concern for Saffrons, and they find satisfaction in physical pursuits that push them to higher fitness levels.

Saffrons maintain physical activity by finding elements of challenge, fun, freedom, and flow. They love creating a rhythm and keeping it going. Convenience is an important consideration—many Saffrons say it’s essential for making physical activity appealing. Every step they must take on the way to exercising is another opportunity to get off-track, so the fewer decision points between the idea and its execution, the better. With their intuitive natures, Saffrons can easily make the mind/body/soul connection and might be attracted to exercise with that as a component.

Environment and Interpersonal Connections
Saffrons lean toward outdoor settings for most of their cardio activities, enjoying the freedom and flexibility the outdoors provides. Although they might go to the gym for some of their cardio, many report their gym visits have a particular purpose, like lifting weights, for example. With their attraction to movement and flow, many Saffrons enjoy group fitness classes, if the music is to their liking and it’s fun!

Saffrons enjoy exercising alone—and with others, as long as the interaction is not demanding or confining. For instance, they might enjoy light banter with a running partner. It’s not unusual for Saffrons to train for a marathon with a family member or friend, but it won’t happen if there’s much to-do about dates and schedules ahead of time. Arrangements must be convenient and relaxed. Because Saffrons rarely consider themselves as part of a group, they deal better with a few like-minded people, rather than an organized gathering. For the same reason, Saffrons often choose unusual sports or activities, e.g. Ultimate Frisbee, Taiko drumming, or bouldering.

I agree with most of what is said.

I love my daily long walks in nature, long bike rides along the beach with my sister, and long hikes in the hills.

I don't like sports or indoor activity or any electronic distractions.

LucrativeSid

I just read the descriptions. With most of them I could tell right away that they were nothing like me. I'm very much like a Silver. Today I have biked 4 miles and ran 1.5.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I just read the descriptions. With most of them I could tell right away that they were nothing like me. I'm very much like a Silver. Today I have biked 4 miles and ran 1.5.

wow i would not be alive right now if i did that!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I tested as "White Efficient." I don't exercise, but my disliking chaos was an excellent prediction of how I react to situations.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ

That sounds like you. :D

I tested Blue. I also relate to White, Purple and Green. My favorite form of exercise is walking/hiking and I prefer to swim outside.

I'm nothing like Red. :devil:

MBTI Type
ENTP
I got "white efficient".

Chit chat and noise are distracting, and cell phones are a special irritant. Characteristically, Whites prefer keeping a low profile at the gym. They are turned off by “see and be seen” fitness centers. They typically don’t like to bump into people from work or other parts of their lives at the gym.
This was particularly true. But substitute "at the gym" with "anywhere at all".

Edit: I just looked at green and "green efficient" might suit me better.

quoted the most applicable parts

Their natural physicality inclines Greens to maintain a baseline of fitness, which they prefer to do outdoors or through activities of daily living, such as yard maintenance, parking a mile from their office, or using the stairs instead of elevators.
Too much inside time is stressful for Greens. Getting outside gives them an opportunity to clear their minds and wrestle with the energizing and calming challenges of nature.
Greens have a significant preference for training by themselves. Training alone minimizes the need for coordination and advance planning with other people, allowing them to catch the moment as it arises, without checking with anyone else. It speaks to the casual and flexible world that Greens prefer. They will likely prefer to arrive at the gym dressed for their workout, avoiding wasted time or interactions in the locker-room.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
saffron

cheers,
Ian

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got 'White Harmony'.

I can relate a lot to Green, though. I do the majority of my exercise outdoors and get the most enjoyment & peace out of that.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Green. Pretty pointless test, it asks if I like being outdoors and then says I like being outdoors.

ditto, ditto

why do people like applying systems that utilize arbitrary categorization like this to something so case-by-case... colors of fitness?