• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

8 Colors of Fitness

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
I read them all. I'd say somewhere between White and Saffron Efficient

I don't really follow a strict routine, and I manage to stay in good shape.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Silver = ENXF?

I got Silver and it was surprisingly spot on! Uncanny. I do try to stay active but I'm all about 'keep it simple' and it was interesting how it connected the Ne/ENFP 'flow' with a dislike of too much preparation and the love of variety and exploration with excercise.

I dislike equipment heavy activities like scuba diving or lugging around too much stuff. I want to be able to roll in and out and be fresh and ready for the rest of the day 20 minutes after I'm done. Or something like that. If I have to carry around a bunch of crap or it takes a lot of preparation, I'm not going to do it.

That's why I like Bikram yoga and indoor rock climbing and renting my equipment there (or storing my stuff there). It's fun while you do it and it's easy as boom, bam, done.

I sneak in my 'excercise' by running around the city and dancing in the club. Or I'm a gym rat and totally zone out and crack myself up simultaneously.

Just like the description says, I can be uncharacteristically methodical and routinized about my work outs, they are my anchor in an otherwise unstructured, unanchored lifestyle. It gives me something to focus on and pretend to be J with.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ditto, ditto

why do people like applying systems that utilize arbitrary categorization like this to something so case-by-case... colors of fitness?

dude, whatever helps people get up and off of their asses ha

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Saffron. The description seemed at least close in many ways, although I'm pretty regimented about exercising (it's one of, if not the only, thing I'm ruthlessly schedule-driven about). It's something that I decided to do, so I set things up to make it simple and convenient, with as little thought or consideration to put into it as possible. So the part about removing barriers to exercising is true - but the whole part about being spontaneous about exercise really isn't. The whole thing about exercising alone is true - I'd never seriously consider joining a gym, for instance - I'd be much too self-conscious to be comfortable with working out with a bunch of strangers, and would quickly find reasons not to go. Doing things myself just works better.

I do wish the author had just done an "MBTI exercise" book, instead of developing a closely-related derivation with a different nomenclature. It just confused things, and the questionnaire's either-or choices tended to make me want to answer "well, both" or "well, neither" - even more so than most such questionnaires. Interesting link though, thanks Jae :).

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Without taking the test, I'm a deep saffronish green with a subtle silvery background. :D

yugyug

MBTI Type
I?TP
Posting here as well as other thread so can remember score:
Green Efficients (ISTP)
* Greens Efficients are practical and analytical. They will make use of a personal trainer who challenges them, holds them accountable, and doesn’t talk too much.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Silver. It was spot on. :) It does correlate rather closely with MBTI.

Yes, she's an MBTI practitioner and in the book the types are clearly labeled by color:
Blue: ISJ
Gold: ESJ
Red: ESP
Green: ISP
Silver: ENP
Saffron: INP
White: INJ
Purple: ENJ

I heard her present to a bunch of type experts and NO ONE disagreed with her over how she in general described their fitness approach. The book's lengthier description is so true for me that it sent me into gales of laughter.

wolfy

awsm
Green, but I love it inside an old dirty gym.:thumbup:

"Greens have a significant preference for training by themselves. Training alone minimizes the need for coordination and advance planning with other people, allowing them to catch the moment as it arises, without checking with anyone else. It speaks to the casual and flexible world that Greens prefer. They will likely prefer to arrive at the gym dressed for their workout, avoiding wasted time or interactions in the locker-room."

This part is true.

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Fitness Color: The White Canvas, Trailblazers on Familiar Paths
Motivation, Approach, and Focus

Whites approach exercise as they do everything else, with planning and structure—that is, after sufficient reflection time. Reflection, in fact, is the hallmark of their personality. They don’t jump into anything head first, including fitness. Whites need time to do the research, check out facilities, and imagine scenarios—all preliminary elements undertaken to create a comprehensive plan. Whites are habitually oriented and comfortable with the familiar; once they’ve made their plan to include regular physical activity in their routine, it becomes a cherished part of their life. It doesn’t slip out easily, but is challenged when their routine is disrupted by travel, moving to another city or other such changes.

Disciplined and independent, Whites are self-organized and attracted to physical exercise they can structure at their own pace. Much thought goes into each element of a White’s exercise program—and a program it is, complete with categories for cardio, strength, and flexibility—and even classifications such as social, light, moderate, and intense. As Intuitives, they readily see the mind/body/soul connection and will often include exercise that provides for that as a category. At times they may enjoy being accountable to a fitness trainer, as long as they’ve had a role in directing the activity.

While they might consult fitness literature or schedule some sessions with a trainer, they typically develop their own exercise program based on specific results they’ve established as important and achievable. Whites think ahead and loosely envision their weekly exercise program, mentally keeping tabs, identifying times in which each part will happen. Unlike other types who are energized by spontaneous activities, Whites don’t like to be swept up in someone else’s agenda. They tend to stick with their plan.

Physical activity provides a refreshing respite, giving them an opportunity to get away from it all—from work, the phone, people, requests, and family responsibilities. It’s a time to de-stress, thing about things and be with their internal visions.

Environment and Interpersonal Connections

Whites seek comfort and familiarity in their exercise environments. Placing high value on tranquil and calm environments, Whites are easily jarred by interruptions and chaos. Whites require orderly environments for exercise, which provide the necessary calm for them to relax and receive the mental benefits of exercise as well as the physical. At a large fitness center, they are likely to find an out of the way spot to exercise, or they might join a small gym off the beaten path. Whites don’t mean to be rude, but they go to a gym to work out.

Chit chat and noise are distracting, and cell phones are a special irritant. Characteristically, Whites prefer keeping a low profile at the gym. They are turned off by “see and be seen” fitness centers. They typically don’t like to bump into people from work or other parts of their lives at the gym.

White Efficients expect trainers to have a high level of proficiency and knowledge and will challenge them with tough questions.

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
Regal Purple. Also my favorite color.

"Many report that while engaged in repetitive cardio activities which do not require focused attention, they get into a mental zone. While on automatic pilot, their mind goes elsewhere, which often provides refreshing creative thoughts."

This is certainly true for me, but I'd think that it is also true for anyone doing extended cardio.

"Purples are energized by exercising with people in the environment, and they find it pleasing to be around others doing the same thing, without necessarily interacting with them."

Hmmm a platoon of gym-goers pursuing a common goal while on similar fat-burning machines? Sounds efficient to me.