• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Potassium/Sodium Ratio

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Study: Sodium-to-potassium ratio a key to heart health
Sodium-Saturated Diet Is a Threat for All'
Study Finds Sodium-Potassium Ratio Strongly Tied to Mortality and CV Disease

So I've been developing ways to combat what I consider "easily changeable Sodium intake" This means any food that I can prepare myself with the least amount of Sodium possible. Home cooked meals are probably one of the easiest ways to combat sodium intake. Another way to combat sodium intake is to use a different salt altogether (instead of using table salt, sea salt, etc.)

Since Sodium Chloride/Iodine is so prevalent in every thing we eat these days, I've been brushing up on my nutritional eating habits. And found something a little different from your common table salt, that is Potassium Chloride/Iodine. While I haven't made the complete switch (I'm doing about 50% Sodium and 50% Potassium,) I plan to switch to full Potassium Chloride/Iodine in the near future. I was looking at my local supermarket and was comparing prices. A big cylinder of only Sodium Chloride/Iodine costs as much as a smaller 1:1 cylinder, while a cylinder of Potassium Chloride/Iodine of the same size as the 1:1 costs 2-3 times as much.

Potassium and Sodium are two minerals that work similarly, but in different ends. However, by having a 2:1 (Potassium:Sodium) ratio, studies have shown that those that ate more Potassium than Sodium actually lowered blood pressure (and had lowered other risk complications associated with it.)

Other ways to get more Potassium intake? You guessed it. Fruits, vegetables, and complex carbs. Some foods like spinach, tomatoes, bananas and potatoes are high in Potassium value. You can even get about 50% of your Daily value from eating one potato alone.