• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BMI

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
What's your BMI?

How do you feel about it or, rather for some folks, what do you think concerning it?

Do you think that BMI or fat-muscle ratio is more important?

And what's your current level of fitness?

*I know these are personal topics but they're kind of interesting and I'd like to know what people's take on the subject is.

xisnotx

Permabanned

On a scale of 1-10, ten being as fit as I've ever been (able to play hours and hours of soccer and basketball..) maybe a 6. I'm hungry, and I have a cold.

What's there to feel?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Haha...Xisnotx, if you are hungry and have a cold, maybe hunger pangs and that horrible pressure feeling of a stuffy nose?!

Well, I knew I was talking to feelers and thinkers so I thought I'd ask the question both ways! Facts are fine. And 22.6 is fine, too. From what I understand, it looks like a pretty healthy number.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
19.0 and I think bmi is bullshit because I am not fit or healthy. I actually got a higher employee discount at my old job just because my bmi/cholesterol/blood pressure were low. it was supposed to be incentive for healthy eating or something.

scienceresearcher

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My BMI is 23.1.

There are no accurate indicators for body composition assessments. All methods for obtaining body fat have their inaccuracies with the most accurate still being 2-3% incorrect. The only true way to really gauge a person's body composition is to kill them and take apart their adipose tissues and weigh everything individually (this is not sarcasm).

BMI has a major flaw which doesn't include the fact that people have different compositions in terms of fat mass (FM) and fat-free mass (FFM) and only calculates a person's body weigh in comparison to their height. An example could be Shaquille O'Neal from the lakers who weighs a little over 300 pounds but has a body fat percentage of 4%. He is highly trained and fit yet would fall under a category in BMI that would make him grotesquely obese. BMI is a decent indicator for an overall assessment of someone's calculated risk for developing adverse health conditions. We see people that fall into the obese and under weight categories tend to have an increase health concerns such as diabetes, cardiac vascular disease, hypertension, anemia, bullemia, anorexia, and decrease in immune system functions.

The Fat-muscle ratio you mention is going to be correlated to the body composition test of hydrostatic weighing. It's a method where an individual's land weight is taken and then they are placed onto a weight scale submerged in water and another weight is taken. The idea is that the fat density is 0.9kg/l and fat free mass (skeletal muscle, bones and water) have a density of roughly 1.1kg/l. With some mathematical calculations the scaled under weight gives us a projected body composition number for an individual where we can calculate the body fat by taking the weight of the Fat Mass and dividing it by the entire Weight of the Body. This has the smallest room for error but the results can be skewed heavily depending on diet and hydration levels. If someone were to drink 2 liters of water and not urinate before being weighed, they would weigh 2 pounds more and those 2 pounds would be counted as fat free mass which would lower the body fat % result. If you include a heavy meal and drinking some water, one can fluctuate their weight by 4-5 pounds and throw the accurate results off.

My current belief is that studies have shown BMI to be an outdated system. It has it's purpose as I've stated above but it's merely a guideline. The most fascinating thing about the human body to me is that way we see adaptations through different stresses on the body. If you're working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle you'll see the benefits and reap them. I wouldn't pay close attention to BMI except for the overall big picture related to health concerns. I'd be more concerned about body fat because there are close links to cardiovascular diseases based on higher percentages of fat. Most importantly, just do what it takes to feel great about yourself :)

My current level of fitness is pretty high. I run 5 times a day for cardio and lift weights 3-4 times a week depending on rotation.
Random facts about me:
I'm 6''0.5' and 170 pounds.
BMI is 23
Body fat from electrical impedance is 6.3%~7.1%. Hydrostatic weighing body fat result is 5.7%.
5K (3.1 mi) running time is 18:58
10K (6.2mi) running time is 51:15
12 mi running time is roughly 2 hours.
Bench press is 3 sets of 245 pounds at 5 reps
Leg press is 3 sets of 630 at 10 reps
Pull ups are at 5 sets of 12 reps with 45 pound plate hanging on me
Dips are at 4 sets of 30 reps with 45 pound plate hanging on me

wolfy

awsm
My BMI is 26, but my body fat is 12% so I am in no way overweight. I never use BMI when counselling clients, just body fat percentages and muscle mass.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Chana, Scienceresearcher, & Wolfy,

Thanks for your replies. SR, thank you for the well-thought-out information. It is very helpful.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's your BMI?

How do you feel about it or, rather for some folks, what do you think concerning it?

*I know these are personal topics but they're kind of interesting and I'd like to know what people's take on the subject is.

My BMI is solidly in the normal range, towards the upper end I think.

I think BMI is fairly accurate if you're of average height, musculature, and build/bone size. I am all of those, more or less, so it's probably pretty accurate for me. I'm not sure how accurate it'd be for me if I gained a lot of muscle (or fat) or lost a lot of fat, because I've never done any of those things. I think BMI and fat-muscle ratio can both be helpful across a population, since they average fairly well, but for an individual it makes more sense to go with a more personalized evaluation taking into account real fitness, strength, body fat%, whether they're malnourished, etc.

My current fitness level I'd give a B. I'd say it's passing as far as how active I am (especially in the summer), but I have some areas that could really use improvement (cardio, ugh) and some that I'd like to refine a bit (strength training). So more or less in line with my BMI, I guess.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's your BMI?

18.5-18.8 [just gave the range; my weight fluctuates by 2-3lb, generally]

It's just another number. Looking at mine, one may lecture me about being near the underweight range, but that's because BMI doesn't factor in things like bone frame. My dad was tall/lanky, & my mother is a petite person. I got his height and her bone structure.. if I got up into the higher areas of 'normal' weight for my height, indicated on most BMI charts, I'd start looking a bit thick. A friend of mine is only a little taller than I, but she has the bones of a viking, so her frame easily carries like 155lb of lean muscle, & she appears outwardly to have similar proportions to me. Weird how that works.

It also doesn't factor in how much of your weight is muscle. I have male friends whose BMI will indicate they're overweight, when they're just pure meaty muscle. I've also known some rather solid women with HUGE breasts - so while they appeared to be in the normal range of healthy weight, their racks would tip the scale & they'd be calculated as "obese." Dumb.

So, ultimately it's just one piece of the puzzle, & there's only so much insight one can draw from it.

Just as BMI is one piece of the puzzle, as I said above- muscle to fat ratio is another piece. BMI's a general compass, whereas muscle-fat ratio is more specific to the inidividual, so, both of these calculations have their own importance in terms of gauging one's current physical condition.

Strictly from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd say muscle-fat ratio is what more people will notice. Muscle is more compact, so even some people who weigh more than others will appear to be lighter, etc.

I've been less active than I used to be, due to some medical issues, so I'd say my fitness level is less than it was [I had more muscle tone, etc back then], but I could still do all the same things I used to do for fitness maintenance.. it'd just suck for a couple weeks, haha. I'm in 'average' condition, I guess? I'm not naturally an athlete, but I ain't no sissy. :pumpyouup:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looking at mine, one may lecture me about being near the underweight range, but that's because BMI doesn't factor in things like bone frame. My dad was tall/lanky, & my mother is a petite person. I got his height and her bone structure.. if I got up into the higher areas of 'normal' weight for my height, indicated on most BMI charts, I'd start looking a bit thick. A friend of mine is only a little taller than I, but she has the bones of a viking, so her frame easily carries like 155lb of lean muscle, & she appears outwardly to have similar proportions to me. Weird how that works.

Yeah, I think this is true. Sounds like I have a similar build as you.

Maybe 4-5 years ago, my bmi was in the 18 range too; I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly less than that now, though, due to the activity level I have (in the summer months especially - more endurance-y, intense, high cardio/calorie-burning mountain climbing and long hikes), as compared to back then when I wasn't doing as much.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my BMI is 29 right now. I dont think anyone around me would consider me fat or obese.

I try to balance my BMI with a mixture of building muscle and keeping my fat under control.

5'9"@195lbs
Just to give an idea...39" waist/hip(I dont know exactly where to measure), but I wear a 34" pants comfortably without overhang...fit into some 33" pants comfortably
46" around my chest
52" around my shoulders.

all this is cold and not flexing or sucking in, just standing normal.

when I was in highschool my BMI was 19 and I was extremely fit and in shape, but skinny. One of those ripped martial artist types.

Lark

What's your BMI?

I'm not sure how to calculate this, the person at the gym used to do this but I stopped seeing them, now someone I see because of my diabetes does it.

That said one of my goals is to reach and maintain my BMI, at the very least maintain it but I'd like to reach a shockingly high level of personal fitness to be honest, like olympian, even if I'm never going to do any of those sports in question.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not sure how to calculate this, the person at the gym used to do this but I stopped seeing them, now someone I see because of my diabetes does it.

That said one of my goals is to reach and maintain my BMI, at the very least maintain it but I'd like to reach a shockingly high level of personal fitness to be honest, like olympian, even if I'm never going to do any of those sports in question.

Lark, I wish you the greatest success. I applaud you for wanting a high level of fitness. It is my belief that fitness should be for everyone who wants it, not just those who compete in sports.

Lark

Lark, I wish you the greatest success. I applaud you for wanting a high level of fitness. It is my belief that fitness should be for everyone who wants it, not just those who compete in sports.

I agree, I saw a Nike ad or something once which had the tagline "the sport of fitness has arrived", mind you it showed a hyper fit assembly of people taking part in a hardcore training group, like hand stand press ups and step aerobics with weights/bar bells which I dont think everyone needs or should aspire to either, when it comes to training I'm a bit of an interovert presently and can appreciate anyone feeling that way.

There's something wrong with the way physical education is taught in schools, that it is games or athletics or track and field, general fitness through a variety of training approaches would do far better, in which you could be in competition with others, I've no problem with that at all, but ultimately the competition or goals are about your self and you're own fitness.

Also, its too late for me, I've got diabetes, hopefully it'll never become type one with all the crap that goes along with that, or kill me, but if I knew what I do now about diet and fitness as insurance against this kind of thing you can bet that when I was fit I would have maintained that. It would have been my sole priority and I dont think physical ed teaches any of that, there's no one, I believe, who wants to be unhealthy, unfit and inactive.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I agree, I saw a Nike ad or something once which had the tagline "the sport of fitness has arrived", mind you it showed a hyper fit assembly of people taking part in a hardcore training group, like hand stand press ups and step aerobics with weights/bar bells which I dont think everyone needs or should aspire to either, when it comes to training I'm a bit of an interovert presently and can appreciate anyone feeling that way.

There's something wrong with the way physical education is taught in schools, that it is games or athletics or track and field, general fitness through a variety of training approaches would do far better, in which you could be in competition with others, I've no problem with that at all, but ultimately the competition or goals are about your self and you're own fitness.

Also, its too late for me, I've got diabetes, hopefully it'll never become type one with all the crap that goes along with that, or kill me, but if I knew what I do now about diet and fitness as insurance against this kind of thing you can bet that when I was fit I would have maintained that. It would have been my sole priority and I dont think physical ed teaches any of that, there's no one, I believe, who wants to be unhealthy, unfit and inactive.

I completely agree with you on this Lark. I think phys ed should be about being healthy, not winning competitions. I have nothing against competive sports for people who want to participate in them, but I never did. My goals are always to make me better than I was, not better than someone else. I love your input. Thanks so much.

Lark

I completely agree with you on this Lark. I think phys ed should be about being healthy, not winning competitions. I have nothing against competive sports for people who want to participate in them, but I never did. My goals are always to make me better than I was, not better than someone else. I love your input. Thanks so much.

I developed that thinking relatively late in life, I think I was beginning to push my twenties and had been to one or two gyms and started to read about exercise and realised that what I was doing was my own independent learning of a phys ed nature and, like with a dozen other subjects, I wondered why the hell school could not have been like that instead of the way it had been, when it felt like the pysh ed teachers couldnt be bothered or hated that class and was just dying for some of the pupils to lose it and start a fight with them so they could thump them and get them expelled.

My experience of school was pretty poor, I hated it and have no good memories of it.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I developed that thinking relatively late in life, I think I was beginning to push my twenties and had been to one or two gyms and started to read about exercise and realised that what I was doing was my own independent learning of a phys ed nature and, like with a dozen other subjects, I wondered why the hell school could not have been like that instead of the way it had been, when it felt like the pysh ed teachers couldnt be bothered or hated that class and was just dying for some of the pupils to lose it and start a fight with them so they could thump them and get them expelled.

My experience of school was pretty poor, I hated it and have no good memories of it.

Sometimes I think that the best way to learn is to be mentored one on one, or at least one teacher and a small group of students to work with over a number of years. Our society doesn't really allow much for that, then again, I guess most don't, but in a dream world [my dream world] a dedicated teacher would take a handful of youngsters and work with them daily until they had learned all they needed to learn to go out into the world. Like I said, that's in my little dream world. haha.

Lark

Sometimes I think that the best way to learn is to be mentored one on one, or at least one teacher and a small group of students to work with over a number of years. Our society doesn't really allow much for that, then again, I guess most don't, but in a dream world [my dream world] a dedicated teacher would take a handful of youngsters and work with them daily until they had learned all they needed to learn to go out into the world. Like I said, that's in my little dream world. haha.

Its similar to my own, films like Karate Kid or the series Kung Fu probably influenced it but I've always believed in the model of a master tutoring a novice to the point when the student becomes the master (OK that may be star wars I'm channeling now).

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Its similar to my own, films like Karate Kid or the series Kung Fu probably influenced it but I've always believed in the model of a master tutoring a novice to the point when the student becomes the master (OK that may be star wars I'm channeling now).

Well, whatever you're channeling, it's rubbed off on me! Cause I see it exactly the same way! I believe that is the way any true art is refined. It must be personal.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
19.0 and I think bmi is bullshit because I am not fit or healthy. I actually got a higher employee discount at my old job just because my bmi/cholesterol/blood pressure were low. it was supposed to be incentive for healthy eating or something.

My BMI is 26, but my body fat is 12% so I am in no way overweight. I never use BMI when counselling clients, just body fat percentages and muscle mass.

Wow and exactly. My BMI is 22 so right in average range. BMI is a Number to use when you're looking for quantifiers. Body fat percentage is more useful and for health other numbers like resting heart rate and blood pressure.