• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dressing to Impress, style challenge/tips

Lark

I am fully prepared for this to be in the wrong place and require moving to a different part of the forum but I wasnt sure were else to put it, I was wondering about anyones knowledge of dressing to impress and if I could tap it, are there any good online or published guides? What about magazines? I usually think that magazines are a scam and cost too much, about as much as a book, but I'd be willing to follow any good recommendations.

I dont really have much of a clue, I'm definitely not one of the metrosexual men, although its something which I've always been interested in learning a bit more about.

gromit

likes this
Make sure your clothes fit you properly. I somehow observe a lot of men having trouble with this.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be willing to do things that may make you uncomfortable at first like wearing bold colors that most men shy away from (for example red), make sure your style is congruent with how you envision yourself as a person, every guy needs a classic suit (usually black) for formal occasions. Keep it simple no need to be flashy. 3 primary colors Max! You need casual daytime clothes, stuff for casual gatherings with the opposite sex, and something for more formal/business occasions. I tend to go plain t shirt maybe a baby blue and jeans during the day, an open collar button up at night maaaybe with slacks (I am at heart a punk rocker and loathe the "preppy" look), black suit with colorful undershirt (maybe purple or a royal blue) for more formal occasions. I think all of this is deeply impacted by 3 things, your age (I am late 20s and so logos and such would be a bit much on me), complexion (I am olive/Mediterranean so very dark and very light tones seem to work best for me. I use softer tones to lighten my harsh features), and hairstyle/facial hair (I have a bold/eccentric but "put together" look so I try to accentuate that with my choice in clothing

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fashion is sort of an organic thing to me. Guides are nice, but sometimes it's nice to just observe good style and extrapolate the principles that can up your current game. I feel like I've recommended on here before, but the Sartorialist is a great resource for that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ive always been one for classics or crazies. Usually one of those two things always does the trick for me.

When it's a formal event, and I know people are going to be over-the-top.. I tend to be very modest. Mute colors if color at all, classic cuts, and modest looks. Ive found, more often than not, that I actually stand out more with this technique (though it isnt my intentions) than with anything else. A mute, clearance olive drab dress got me more attention in a night than people who probably spent hours and actual money on their outfits. I wore a plain red-and-black gown in a chinatown shop window that didnt even fit me (the bones in the dress were made for a more.. eh.. bustier woman..lol) to a company ball and a woman literally wanted me fired because the photographer took twice as many pictures of me and my friend as they did her when she spent $400 on a customized dress for the occasion.

When its something fun, and exciting, I go for crazy. I got a lot of compliments on my simple-but-crazy-looking chameleon dress at the Renaissance festival, and for prom I wore a multi-layered ruffled all-white outfit and long, curled hair when everyone else was going for formal gowns, flowers, and up-dos.

In the end. As long as it fits you well, and the cuts compliment your body type, you'll be fine no matter what you pick. There are no rules to clothing.. But how you wear it and with how much confidence can make or break a piece easily. I got away with a lot of normally fashion faux pas just because I wore it with confidence in my office.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you have a picture? if you post i'll happily give my opinion on what sort of look suits you. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]
I'd need to know a few things about you
- how tall are you?
- what is your skin tone?
- what is your face shape?
- are you more slim, medium build, muscular or larger?
- are you facial features/overall appearance more masculine, feminine or about average?

Lark

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]
I'd need to know a few things about you
- how tall are you?
- what is your skin tone?
- what is your face shape?
- are you more slim, medium build, muscular or larger?
- are you facial features/overall appearance more masculine, feminine or about average?

If you look in the dictionary under manliness and awesome respectively you will find that the descriptions have been replaced with my passport photo.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you look in the dictionary under manliness and awesome respectively you will find that the descriptions have been replaced with my passport photo.

:D

I'll need you to be more specific though :yes:

scienceresearcher

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Gromit hit it perfectly, in my opinion. A normal looking shirt (collared, polo or whatever) that fits well will look infinitely better than a top of the line expensive shirt that does not fit correctly. I've read to avoid trendy stuff like bold colors or patterns that will go out of style. I tend to wear things that I can wear forever like a good solid polo, collared shirts that don't have trendy patterns and will remain classic, a good pair of boot cut or straight leg jeans (no ripped, sand washed colors, or red etc) that fit well and most importantly good shoes that match your belt. +5 points for good shoes for the ladies btw.. ladies back me up on this please?

For color matching, I read that you can't go wrong with a shirt that matches your eyes. And there are no-no's of course, like don't wear brown shoes with black pants etc. Those can be found on the internet.