• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't stop smoking

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Get someone close to you to take possession of your cigarrettes and only allow them to give them to you say one a day then once every 2 days then every 3 days and so on until gradually you lose the addiction without going through horrible withdrawls would be my advice. Also try praying to God!

Hope that helps and good luck quitting smoking!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Get someone close to you to take possession of your cigarrettes and only allow them to give them to you say one a day then once every 2 days then every 3 days and so on until gradually you lose the addiction without going through horrible withdrawls would be my advice. Also try praying to God!

you don't smoke do you? because in 3 hours i'm already going through withdrawl, so one a day would not cut it.

[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION], dude i don't know i'm in the same boat.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Except no one in my immediate family knows I smoke.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
you don't smoke do you? because in 3 hours i'm already going through withdrawl, so one a day would not cut it.

[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION], dude i don't know i'm in the same boat.

Nicotine lozenges help but as soon as I run out I start smoking again.....maybe you should give it a shot.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've quit for 8 months now. I did cold turkey but had it all planned out by figuring out what my triggers were. I made sure I avoided my triggers for about 2 months. When I had withdrawals, I'd either take a cold shower, jog, sleep, or blast my music to deafening levels.

Also, try to avoid stress. I pretty much avoided activities and situations that would tempt me to light up until I knew for sure I could keep my composure.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Use the patch AND the gum, and stock up so you don't run out. Do it religiously and without fail, even if the patch breaks you out and makes you itch, just do it. Patch up and chew yourself a big ol wad of nicorette and make sure you have enough supply for at least two months.

2. Don't give up. It can take several attempts before you're actually able to quit for good. Don't give up on the idea that you can quit. If you start smoking again, start quitting again, too. Do it as long as you can; as soon as you are able, do it as long as you can do it again; proceed, gaining time not smoking as you go. Eventually you will let go of it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
think of something to disgust you about it daily. watch those horrid truth campaigns.
after it leaves your body...you can can do it. you can control the mental part if you really want to. imagine yourself with a tracheotomy.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
It took me three tries. Finally, I went cold turkey and never looked back.

Just resolve to do it. It's ok to fail and try again.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION]
I can't stop smoking

That's what I thought too... Until I just did it. Cold turkey. Cravings were bad the first several days and then died off altogether. Now I just have the remembrance of how much I love smoking because it really is enjoyable, but it's not a craving/overwhelming feeling. My grandpa who I've always admired (and is now deceased) kind of inspired me with his story. He smoked for 20 years or something, and ran out of cigarettes one evening while watching TV. He told me "I just didn't feel like running out to the store and buying these things anymore, so I quit right then and there and haven't touched them since."

Good luck.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION]

That's what I thought too... Until I just did it. Cold turkey. Cravings were bad the first several days and then died off altogether. Now I just have the remembrance of how much I love smoking because it really is enjoyable, but it's not a craving/overwhelming feeling. My grandpa who I've always admired (and is now deceased) kind of inspired me with his story. He smoked for 20 years or something, and ran out of cigarettes one evening while watching TV. He told me "I just didn't feel like running out to the store and buying these things anymore, so I quit right then and there and haven't touched them since."

Good luck.

I end up stopping for a few days until I see friends or people smoking a cigarette then I end up wanting one really bad.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
think of something to disgust you about it daily. watch those horrid truth campaigns.
after it leaves your body...you can can do it. you can control the mental part if you really want to. imagine yourself with a tracheotomy.

True I just came back from a physical though and the doctor said I'm perfectly healthy so I kinda know in the back of my mind I can get away with smoking for the time being even if I don't want to.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
e-cigarettes aren't a bad diversion as a step in the right direction for stopping smoking. You are still smoking and have the nicotine, but not the more harmful aspects of cigarettes. They also actually smell good.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
1. Use the patch AND the gum, and stock up so you don't run out. Do it religiously and without fail, even if the patch breaks you out and makes you itch, just do it. Patch up and chew yourself a big ol wad of nicorette and make sure you have enough supply for at least two months.

2. Don't give up. It can take several attempts before you're actually able to quit for good. Don't give up on the idea that you can quit. If you start smoking again, start quitting again, too. Do it as long as you can; as soon as you are able, do it as long as you can do it again; proceed, gaining time not smoking as you go. Eventually you will let go of it.

All of this, but most importantly, if you don't really want to quit, you won't. I successfully quit 4 years ago with the patch. I too never thought I could quit, until I did. I'm a health nut now. ;)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just throw the pack away and once in awhile when you're around smokers offer to buy one for $0.50 just to keep yourself sane (limit yourself to 3 a week maybe)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
e-cigarettes aren't a bad diversion as a step in the right direction for stopping smoking. You are still smoking and have the nicotine, but not the more harmful aspects of cigarettes. They also actually smell good.

Be afraid!

Just throw the pack away and once in awhile when you're around smokers offer to buy one for $0.50 just to keep yourself sane (limit yourself to 3 a week maybe)

I would feel embarrassed being 'that guy' who asks to buy loosies. Even gas stations who sell them judge people who do!

R

RDF

This.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years. I tried quitting over and over. To finally stop once and for all, I chewed huge amounts of nictotine gum all day and even chewed it as I was going to sleep. Furthermore I kept on chewing it for the next 5 years. I didn't want to stop the nictotine gum until cigarettes were so far back in my past that I couldn't even imagine picking up a cigarette again. It's now been 10 years since my last cigarette (and five years since my last piece of nicotine gum).

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I quit smoking in 2004 and I'm still chewing the gum.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't recommend getting someone else to hold you accountable if you have extremely irritable withdrawals because that can be a huge strain on relationships.

I know because I tried it once. It worked for a day and I went from my quiet, loving self to "BITCH, give me that motherfucking cigarette or I KILL you."

Not good.