• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Probiotics

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
So I went to Earthfare today to check out their gluten free stuff. For lunch, I had a gluten free chicken burrito, and a bowl of 0% yogurt with gluten free granola which is SUPER GOOD! Just had frozen GF jambalaya which was very good as well. One thing I've noticed today is that I'm not ravenous! I read online that GF is low in fiber, which keeps you feeling full longer? For those of you who are GF, where do you get your fiber from?

Does anyone have any good recipes they can share? I don't mind frozen food, but the jambalaya was so good, I might as well make a big pot of it and keep some in the freezer.

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION], I am trying to cut as much sugar out of my diet as I can stand. It's so hard because I love sweets, but it really irritates my stomach. Have you tried Truvia? I put it in my yogurt with fruit and granola and that keeps me full for hours.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
What is Truvia?

It's a brand of Stevia. I tried baking with it and it was disgusting. Sugar subs tend to bake terribly. I prefer Xylitol. I forget what they have in common but sugar alcohols tend to create digestion issues but not Xylitol. However, Xylitol is most like "real sugar" or something...I forget why I preferred it but it must have been a good reason. :p It is preferred amongst hard core low-carb dieters. Strangely, the brand I bought of xylitol is just Xylitol with a capital 'X' like buying a pound of Sugar brand of sugar. It used to be hard to find but I found a big pack of it at one of the new 'whole foods' like grocery that popped up. There are a LOT of spin-offs of Whole Foods and Trader Joes popping up around Northern CA.

As for probiotics, your doc would have best recommendations but I covered my bets and got one that has a mix of different strains. Acidipholus (sp?) is common and is what's in most yogurt. Bifidinus (sp?) is supposedly the most prevalent strain in your gut so I look for brands with that.

I think I also wrote this in your blog, but fermented soybeans may not be tasty nor smell good but it is considered almost medicinal in eastern asian countries. You can buy 'essence of' it in pill form online and in some Asian grocery stores.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a brand of Stevia. I tried baking with it and it was disgusting. Sugar subs tend to bake terribly. I prefer Xylitol. I forget what they have in common but sugar alcohols tend to create digestion issues but not Xylitol. However, Xylitol is most like "real sugar" or something...I forget why I preferred it but it must have been a good reason. :p It is preferred amongst hard core low-carb dieters. It used to be hard to find but I found a big pack of it at one of the new 'whole foods' like grocery that popped up. There are a LOT of spin-offs of Whole Foods and Trader Joes popping up around Northern CA.

Xylitol gave me very bad digestive issues, FWIW ....... I threw the bag away within 1 hour of using it, it was that bad :p
Truvia is Stevia + Erythritol, often considered the least symptomatic of the sugar alcohols. Xylitol is generally the most "sugar-like" of them though.
I definitely think of truvia as ... a sweetener that goes with "certain" things. Putting it on a bowl of blueberries & cream works extremely well I've found :)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Xylitol gave me very bad digestive issues, FWIW ....... I threw the bag away within 1 hour of using it, it was that bad :p
Truvia is Stevia + Erythritol, often considered the least symptomatic of the sugar alcohols. Xylitol is generally the most "sugar-like" of them though.
I definitely think of truvia as ... a sweetener that goes with "certain" things. Putting it on a bowl of blueberries & cream works extremely well I've found :)
I can't eat anything with Xylitol, Sorbital, Erythrito, etc. Truvia (Stevia) so far, hasn't bothered me. I mix mine with yogurt and fruit.

The up side to being diagnosed with IBD is that I lost a lot of the weight I gained when I was having kids. Prior to that, I just couldn't seem to get passed a certain weight which was really frustrating.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't trust any fake sugars. I think they give you cancer so I'm fine going without. I don't eat a ton of sugar anyway. This summer has been saying good-bye to the last few things - good chocolate, homemade chocolate pudding with whipped cream, fudgesicles and iced coffee.

Hey Cze Cze, if I'm looking for the fermented soybeans in pill form, what do I call them?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been reading about fermented foods. Am already doing yoghurt (homemade). I've heard of kefir, but never tried it. What's it taste like? Already eating sauerkraut.
I'm just cutting out white sugar/corn syrup. I don't eat loads of sugar, but some and I think it can't help to reduce that load on my system.

it's hard to explain. it's kind of like a combination of a yogurt smoothie and sparkling grape juice but tangier

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mmm I do love kefir .... it's like a creamy & sour yogurt smoothie with a slightly nutty aftertaste (probably from the bacteria remaining in your mouth fermenting things) and very subtle carbonation-like tang to the tongue.
Need to buy some soon!

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure they're gluten free since they're just bacterial+yeast cultures, although I don't know where to buy the grains--some health food stores might carry them, probably something you'd want to call around first to find out.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
spirilis, are you on a gluten free diet?

Also, I'm curious... for those who are, what does your daily food intake consist of, starting with breakfast.

As for Truvia, check this out. Looks like I'll be switching to Stevita. Here are the flavors of liquid stevia she recommends.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Breakfast
2 slices Udi's toast w/ butter and peanut butter and a bottle of homemade veggie juice.

Snack
Grannie Smith apple and some almonds

Lunch
Fruit smoothie with yoghurt when I'm really busy or else something like 1 egg omelette and baked beans or soup or something.

After school snack
Fruit and a slice of cheese

Supper
Salmon and wild rice and salad with lemon juice for dressing.
Fudgesicle

Evening indulgence when I do
Smart popcorn

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I found out I was gluten sensitive (not really celiac, but, definitely sensitive) after I tried Atkins and discovered I could stop taking my acid-reflux meds cold turkey without the crippling rebound indigestion I'd get when I tried that any other time. Eventually "cheating" on the low-carb diet and reintroducing wheat brought back the symptoms, which is how I knew.

My meals are mostly low-carb-inspired, with some starches and occasional sugar added in (this year I haven't stuck to low-carb all that well...) as treats. Breakfast is typically a 3-egg omelette w/ goat cheese and some kind of nuts mixed in, lunch is leftovers (meat+vegetables), dinner is similar.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled
Lunch - Huge salad with lean beef or chicken on it, lemon juice and olive oil for dressing
Dinner - Same, plus brown rice and some low fat cottage cheese, sometimes a piece of fruit

I eat that for days on end.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the info! I don't plan to stop eating fruit or even some other natural sugars - that should be okay, shouldn't it then? What did you experience when you went too far in the other direction? How did you know that you had candida?

I found out I had a problem with Candida (it's naturally in your body, but if it gets out of hand, then it causes problems) when I saw a guy on a talk show talking about his problems with it. I had chronic sinus problems that allergy shots and other treatments hadn't helped. The guy recommended this book, which I bought. It says to consult a doctor before starting the diet, but none of my doctors put much stock in it, so I decided to try cutting out one or two things on my own and took Caprylic Acid capsules. I didn't feel too great while my body was getting back in balance, but eventually all of my sinus problems went away. If I overdo the caffeine or sugar, the problems come back.

If I remember correctly, the book does recommend cutting out all sources of sugar, fruit included, but from my experience, that's taking it too far. Maybe extreme cases of overgrowth might warrant doing that, but just cutting way back on refined sugars worked for me. I drank a LOT of Pepsi in those days, so that went bye-bye. I used to joke that I put tea in my sugar, so I learned to drink tea without sugar. And I cut back on how much tea I drank, or went with decaf. I cut out sweets.

Another thing about the probiotics--I had asked my mom's allopathic doctors what they would recommend, but none of them had any preferences and weren't able to explain what benefits the different blends had. Hopefully, you have doctors who will be able to give recommendations and who support natural treatments.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Have you tried PB2? It's low calorie/fat, gluten free and really good!

Lady,I order Walden Farms which has zero calorie, zero fat, zero sugar, zero gluten , zero carb foods. I call it Almost Food and get scared introducing bewitched dressings into my system. :/. Low carb alternatives often taste terrible. Any food alternative that tastes GOOD is welcome.

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Nattokinase-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B000BD0RRM

Nattokinase

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Lady,I order Walden Farms which has zero calorie, zero fat, zero sugar, zero gluten , zero carb foods. I call it Almost Food and get scared introducing bewitched dressings into my system. :/. Low carb alternatives often taste terrible. Any food alternative that tastes GOOD is welcome.

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Nattokinase-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B000BD0RRM

Nattokinase
I was so excited, until I saw that it has Spelda in it!! :/

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I eat 1 to 2 cups of vanilla yogurt a day. I love yogurt. Yogurt is an excellent source of beneficial bacteria (Probiotics)

0007874214337_500X500.jpg

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I went to Earthfare today to check out their gluten free stuff. For lunch, I had a gluten free chicken burrito, and a bowl of 0% yogurt with gluten free granola which is SUPER GOOD! Just had frozen GF jambalaya which was very good as well. One thing I've noticed today is that I'm not ravenous! I read online that GF is low in fiber, which keeps you feeling full longer? For those of you who are GF, where do you get your fiber from?

Does anyone have any good recipes they can share? I don't mind frozen food, but the jambalaya was so good, I might as well make a big pot of it and keep some in the freezer.

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION], I am trying to cut as much sugar out of my diet as I can stand. It's so hard because I love sweets, but it really irritates my stomach. Have you tried Truvia? I put it in my yogurt with fruit and granola and that keeps me full for hours.

What kind of recipes would you like? I'm an expert chef...I cook for a household of celiacs. I make just about everything. It tastes just as good, if not better than a lot of stuff made with gluten. If my life were at a different place, I'd open up an eatery.

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION], it would be better to restrict your casein consumption until your gut is healed. Sauerkraut and miso would be great choices.

A Kitchenaid mixer will be a must if you're going to make bread or baked goods. I know they are expensive as hell but it is well worth it. Especially when Udi's, Kinnikinnick, and all these other companies charge a fortune for some dried up, stiff slices of carbohydrates that they dare label as "bread". I'm exaggerating a little. They quality is improving but the price isn't. The mixer is a better investment in long-run for cost and quality of product.