• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Posture!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I managed to pull a muscle that was pretty weakened about a week ago. I think it's because my shoulders have a tendency to tense up a lot and it causes a bunch of other muscles to do or not do a bunch of things out of the norm. So, I've been trying to work on relaxing. I don't know if anybody has made conscious efforts to relax, it's a harder task than it sounds.

Also I think I need to revisit some of my habits in sitting posture. I've considered sitting seiza more often, because it allows you to keep a straight back without putting pressure on it like a chair. But, it's supposed to eventually be hell on the knees, and I wonder if it's worth the trade off.

Anybody else there concerned about posture in sitting/walking. Any tips? Maybe you just want to share how proud you are of your slouch.

gromit

likes this
I have been trying to stretch pecs/biceps more and to strengthen my rhomboids and other upper back muscles. Also planks and that kind of isometric thing for core stability.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like sitting in seiza. Otherwise my posture is pretty terrible.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i teach ballet on occasion so here are a few tips:

1 - most people tend to roll their shoulders forward into a slouch and constrict their stomach, neck and chin into an inward arc. it reduces circulation, shaves inches off your perceived height, and makes you look inelegant and utterly defeated.

you can correct this by rolling your shoulders back while pushing your chest out. your back will arch slightly: that is good. now lift your chin up and smile. you no longer look like this:

2 - if you want to know the correct alignment for your body, back up to a wall and press your body against it. your head, shoulder blades, ass and heels should touch. just those 4 points.* that is correct posture. here are some photos of correct posture: (note the arched back/shoulders thrown back in each. ballet dancers have a more pronounced back arch so don't outdo it):

Screen-shot-2009-09-20-at-10.15.51-PM.png

she is looking down so ignore that, focus on her shoulders down.

good_posture_0.jpg

correct-sitting-posture-computers1.jpg

3 - exersize and stretch. look in the mirror. ask your SO to tell you when you're slouching.

*if you have muscular legs, your calves will touch the wall, as well.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very informative, [MENTION=12102]AgentF[/MENTION]. Thank you. I learned very similar things (but in very different ways) while in MA. It made me aware enough about my body to be irritated when I'm not doing it right.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like this thread! Every time I see it, it's like some elderly nun schoolteacher with a ruler is reminding me to sit up straight. So I do!

(I don't know why I picture a nun as my schoolteacher, since I never went to Catholic school...)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hah, this thread paid off. Thanks to AF, I figured out why my shoulders have been giving me trouble. I straighened up and swaggered around the neighborhood a few times.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Get ergonomic seat cushions, lumbar support, do full range motion exercises for every 1 hour of sitting down, and practice pushing out your shoulders. Computer work = hunchback, we start stooping over without knowing it.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i use the tempurpedic lumbar cushion
i should lean back more. i always
lean forward because i forget where
i put my glasses.

but usually i just chant 'shoulders back, chin up' when i want a good butt walk.

A

Anew Leaf

I am always slouching because of my height. This doesn't really help you Qlip, but I find it helpful to wear shoes with a heel to them. It sort of forces me to stand up straighter.

In regards to strengthening the core of your body, I can attest to that as well. My favorite exercise to do for it is the plank:

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm