• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ex smokers

jixmixfix

Permabanned
When did you realize that you had to quit? what motivation(s) caused you to seek out an effort to quit?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I knew for years I had to quit. I quit because I finally realized how much it was holding me back.

KDude

I've always known I should quit. It took me years to try though. :laugh: I guess I just started really thinking about it's effects, more than usual. You don't really register all of it, unless you directly experience discomfort. I have a habit of "optimizing" things, and it's funny (and sad) that I don't do it enough with the most important thing I own. My body. We don't have an eye on what's going on inside our bodies at all times.. So I guess a little reading compensates. That'll pound it into your head on what's truly going on.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I told myself I should quit since I picked it up 3 and a half years ago. I made my first serious attempt at quitting, cold turkey, one week ago from today. Still going strong :solidarity:

I've always tried to be semi health conscious and my smoking vice never meshed well with all of that. Not to mention, I like to work out and am looking at attending a police academy in the near future (crossing my fingers). Need to preserve my body, for many reasons.

Within

Permabanned
When did you realize that you had to quit? what motivation(s) caused you to seek out an effort to quit?
I didn't 'have to' quit. I decided to cut back on my self destructive behavior in general. Smoking was the top layer and had to be peeled off first. I don't think quitting was as hard on me as it was on the people in my surrounding.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I only smoked for about a year and a half, and one day it just seemed less appealing to me. :shrug:
That, and I knew I needed to quit if I wanted to go on the BCP.

scriabin221

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've been about five months now. Prior to that, I had been trying to quit for about year or so to limited success. Shit got real when I started realizing that I would turn 25 soon. Even when I started, I had the idea that I would quit around this time. Of course it wasn't just that. It was getting expensive and I got really, really sick of throwing my money away. I've also just developed into a more health conscious type of person. Smoking pretty much cancels out the health benefits of most healthy activities. So I decided enough was enough. It took me a little while, a few attempts over the course of a little over a year, but I finally did it. Haven't touched a cigarette since. I still occasionally get cravings, but I've become very good at reminding myself of the reality of the situation.

Montgomery456

I quit the smoking because I have realized how much it is harmful for my health.
It is a tough job for me to quit the smoking, I had to hard efforts to stop this bad habit.
I also used electronic cigarette for this purpose and than I took healthy and nutritional diet to control this habit completely.

Last edited:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
It took me three attempts to finally quit. The rediculous taxation on cigs in NYC helped me decide!
I realized that I would smoke for any reason. It didn't matter if I was happy or sad. That's when I resolved to get the monkey off my back.
I tried the patch, but realized that I was still addicted to nicotine, so I went cold turkey.
It wasn't easy, but I never crave them. The few times I tried, they tasted terrible to me.
Aerobic exercise and deep breathing exercises helped too.