• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm getting fat :(

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will give you my unamerican advice.

If you are a typical woman you need about 1500-1800 calories a day. What means that you will need to consume that much to stay at your current weight. (if you dont do extra physical activities)

Hpwever I am not a fan at all for the American style of lossing weight. Because in that way you just practice hard for 20-30 minutes and that does not burn enough of the calories. (especially if you eat/drink after than)

Instead you should walk or perhaps go to the nature/wilderness , because there you are spending calories for hours and you probably dont even kill yourself with physical effort. If you live in huge city as most Americans try with parks or walking around museums(what should keep your attention). In my opinion as long as you are deliberatly and constantly aware of the fact that you are just doing activity X simply because that way you will lose weight ...... you will probably fail. Weight loss has to be unconscious to be truly successful.

Dont watch TV or computer screen for than 5 hours a day.

Plus throw out all food that is clearly unheathy (not just in the term of calories) : large amount of everything that is sweet , all those chemical and coloured stuff they call drinks these days , constant consumation of fast food or red meat, ..... you know the drill.

In my opinion/knowledge: the best way to lose weigh is to eat as much you would need in theory and create weight loss from extra activity ... because if you stop eating normal your metabolism slows down , plus your body will not have the chemicals needed to creat additional muscular mass. While most people seems to walk right into this trap. The thing is that human body was not designed for times where you have a constant access to food and if you stop eating you are activating the natural alarm that there is no enough food and that the body will have to rationalize spending of energy. (by slowing down the metabolism and the amount of calories you can spend)

So this is it , in your cuntry they have made a huge fuss about the weight thing ..... and this is in my opinion all that actually counts if you dont go into unimportant details.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how do you lose weight? I've always been skinny but my metabolism is catching up. I plan to walk 3 mornings a week 1-3 miles but i don't wanna be fat :( :(:(

That's not often enough. If you aim for 5-6 times a week, you'll probably stay in great shape.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're a city dweller, yes chknz? Something else that I thought might appeal to you since you're more into walking than jogging or going to the gym, is heated yoga.

Heated power yoga is no joke, but it's still more gentle than high impact aerobic exercise, and will help you with the anerobic part of building muscle and strength (and flexibility) which helps your metabolism to speed up. You do that and walk (and eat more sensibly) and you won't be "fat."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You're a city dweller, yes chknz? Something else that I thought might appeal to you since you're more into walking than jogging or going to the gym, is heated yoga.

Heated power yoga is no joke, but it's still more gentle than high impact aerobic exercise, and will help you with the anerobic part of building muscle and strength (and flexibility) which helps your metabolism to speed up. You do that and walk (and eat more sensibly) and you won't be "fat."
I effing hate yoga

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually...may I ask *what* you hate about yoga?

Does traditional yoga bore you?

Because power yoga is like a work-out. It has a cardiovascular component, it's Westernized yoga for fitness.

Or do you hate power yoga, like is being in a heated room and sweating like you just ran five miles too much for you? Because seriously, it's that kind of exercise that will tone your body and it will help balance you mentally.

Stuff like jogging/running, aerobics, the elliptical, dancing, power yoga...that's the kind of stuff that is going to get you into better shape than just walking. Because even with the walking you should probably do power (speed) walking, and some kind of calisthenics like sit-ups or push-ups. In power yoga you do a form of "altered" sit ups and you do planks.

Or does exercise in general just piss you off?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I hate yoga because my body hates it. I hate all exercise but I can tolerate other exercise better. and as I have mentioned I'm also doing the exercise bike.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hate yoga because my body hates it. I hate all exercise but I can tolerate other exercise better. and as I have mentioned I'm also doing the exercise bike.

Well you have to be at a certain level of fitness to do power yoga, and if you hate all exercise, and really can't walk more than 20 minutes, you're probably right (though you could probably do more meditative hatha yoga or Taoist yin yoga).

The exercise bike is probably good if you hate exercise because you can even get on-line while you're on it, I mean seriously you could make yourself stay on the bike longer (you should probably work your way up to 30 then 45 minutes then an hour to get real benefits from it...20 minutes three times a week is really not much cardio). But if you get winded easily it's good that you know your own limits.

I was just making suggestions. Good luck with everything.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why do people always tell others trying to lose weight to cut out drinking pop? All they have to do is switch to diet -- that has no calories!

given the choice between switching to diet and quitting soda altogether, i'd choose to remain fat.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol, everyone's body hates yoga at first.

Mine didn't. I freakin' love it. The only reason why I didn't do it sooner is because I was bored by the idea of always doing slow-paced hatha yoga, before I learned about yin and yang styles of yoga.

But I grew up taking dance for 11 years, and I also did gymnastics, and was an exotic dancer for several years and am fit enough to jog a minimum of two miles...so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Mine didn't. I freakin' love it. The only reason why I didn't do it sooner is because I was bored by the idea of always doing slow-paced hatha yoga, before I learned about yin and yang styles of yoga.

But I grew up taking dance for 11 years, and I also did gymnastics, and was an exotic dancer for several years and am fit enough to jog a minimum of two miles...so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I may try Bikram yoga. With every other type of yoga I just see all of the girls in their hot aerobic outfits and it makes me horny and I have a boner throughout the whole session. At least with Bikram though, I would be too over-heated to give a shit.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I may try Bikram yoga. With every other type of yoga I just see all of the girls in their hot aerobic outfits and it makes me horny and I have a boner throughout the whole session. At least with Bikram though, I would be too over-heated to give a shit.

ok I don't know where you do yoga, if its hatha or what, but even (especially) when I do gentler yin yoga my eyes are either closed, on a focused point, or looking at how to do the posture. In power yoga actually I have more inclination to notice sweaty men with their shirts off working out. Men who do power yoga up past a certain level look like lean athletes. But Im still too preoccupied with flow and balance and breath and water to be horny.

Yoga: you're doing it wrong.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i've read that can actually be dangerous. something about the body adjusting too much to the temperature and not realizing the actual amount of effort it's taking. even my regular kundalini teacher is against that type (is it bikram?) of yoga..... :/

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i've read that can actually be dangerous. something about the body adjusting too much to the temperature and not realizing the actual amount of effort it's taking. even my regular kundalini teacher is against that type (is it bikram?) of yoga..... :/

You know what else is dangerous? Obese people jogging after being inactive for long stretches of time. Young fit teenaged boys playing high school football in summer practices if they consume energy drinks. Likewise, Bikram yoga is dangerous for people who are prone to things like not drinking water, not keeping their electrolytes balanced (which ALL athletes shold do, both of those), and probably for people who consume a lot of alcohol. Dehydration is the problem.

What a lot of people probably don't understand about Bikram yoga is that it goes in levels. You're not supposed to walk in to Bikram completely out of shape. You have to start with power yoga non-heated in a warm room, like a gentler yoga class. Also, you get to drink water throughout class. The instructor tells you to drink water. Also, the instructor tells you that he or she is a guide, and that you can choose to ignore them whenever your body says no, and go down into child's pose or sitting or even lying on the mat.

I swear I've seen people lay on the mat for half of class. Even in core restore, which is yin and unheated...so maybe some people just need an excuse to take a nap, so announce to their family, friends, or job that they're going to a yoga class. :laugh:

Most people in intermediate Bikram that I have seen are VERY in shape. None of them are overweight. Not one.

Nobody in their right mind would get up from a sedantary lifestyle and run five miles, nor should they get up from a sedentary lifestyle and do an hour of hot power yoga.

Surviving cancer patients, older people, and even pregnant women do Bikram yoga. Of course in pregnancy you have to take your temperature and modify certain poses, but as long as your temp doesn't get over 101 you're ok.

You have to hydrate AND have salt/potassium.

I actually think it's safer on my joints and bones than running, in fact can heal them (people with severe arthritis and knee or back injuries from sports have successfully began practicing Bikram yoga on a regular basis).

I'm VERY self-aware, though. I would never walk into class without being hydrated and having water, and they tell you about the electrolytes thing, even selling Emergen-C packs and electrolyte water at the front desk.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Personally I would swap the walks for the bike but crank the resistance on the bike right up if you can, shorter more intense workout. Humans are extremely efficient walkers and joggers, I doubt you'd lose much walking unless you're really huge. I'd even swap in sprints, if that's your thing.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION] makes sense. thanks.

LEGERdeMAIN

Since I'm not huuuge yet just none of my pants fit i'm gonna walk mon,wed,fri and do the exercise bike tues and thurs and try to eat slightly healthier.

That's a good idea, prpl. Drastic changes in diet and activity can be problematic. Do you eat a lot of meat, cheese, eggs, fried foods, sodas? Those are usually high in calories, fat and cholesterol and people tend to eat larger servings of these foods. The problem isn't that you're eating shit food, it's that your body can't convert it all into energy, especially if you're largely inactive. Anything your body can't use right away is stored as fat or ends up in a pipe. legerdemain's weight loss plan: eat, drink coffee, go for casual walk. It worked for me, etc. /ad