• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm getting fat :(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personally I would swap the walks for the bike but crank the resistance on the bike right up if you can, shorter more intense workout. Humans are extremely efficient walkers and joggers, I doubt you'd lose much walking unless you're really huge. I'd even swap in sprints, if that's your thing.

You can lose weight walking if you eat sensibly and walk 5-10 miles a day at a nice pace. That is, of course, if you're actually overweight. Otherwise it would give you more muscle tone in your legs and some cardio for your health.

Pinker85

What has always inspired me to exercise is having a goal that isn't about my fitting into jeans or looking a certain way. I almost seem to do worse if I think I'm doing it for anyone but myself. Is there anything you can imagine you'd really want to accomplish physically? I also like to turn my workouts into fantasies. I'll sometimes pretend I'm running through a survivor style game and I have to hit all the trashcans with my gun (but I come up with all sorts of silly rules like only trashcans that have their lid up) or that I'm an Amazonian warrior running with my tribe. I mean all sorts of heroic and silly things but they help when I'm not feeling especially inspired. Maybe try turning things into games and mini-goals. Like one run you can think of countries that start with "A" and have spots along the course (preplanned or spontaneously decided on) that you'll recite the name of the country out loud. Or better yet just start looking for things that start with different letters of the alphabet. Everyone will think you are very silly but it'll get your mind off the exercise. Or you could start devising different walking routes to take dependent on characters you've created. You could take a camera with you and take photos that you think your character would enjoy and create an album for each character. It'd be fun. Part of the pleasure can be in actually devising ways to make it fun and entertaining to exercise. I like that I can just exercise and think of really random shit like if I were a boat what kind-of boat would I be and why? I'll start imagining myself as a boat and how I'd handle. Exercise doesn't demand of you to be any mental thing which frees up time for fantasy. Maybe you can imagine yourself as a cat that has stolen a human body and your dream is to become an assassin so you are whipping yourself into shape. You chastise yourself for your reflexes not being what they are. And now you are running with the sass of a killer kitty that has stolen a silly human's body. Oh yes, she's evil and deadly -- but this body . . . oh how woefully out of shape . . . every push-up and sit-up brings La Femme NaKitty closer to being the leather clad assassin that roars under this flubbery exterior. I don't know . . . you are an INFP!! You can think of a thousand characters and ways to entertain yourself. Don't just go with the Se-model of "well, you just get on the treadmill and do it and . . . keep doing it". Your Fi+Ne allows you to transform every moment into a vivid fantasy so why not use this on exercise . . . it's the perfect time to zone out and go to your "special fantasy place".

As far as what you eat. I have to be really strict with my diet. I don't eat things that trigger me to eat a lot. I had issues in my teen years with binge eating which was partly emotional but also I think due to spikes/crashed in my blood sugar due to consuming certain types of food. I've actually found a lot of xNFP types tend to have weird relationships with food. So I've cut out wheat, sugar, dairy, and pretty much all refined food. I'm sure you won't have to go that far but eating this way stabilizes my blood sugar. You might also consider a very short juice fast. Nothing extreme. Maybe a juice + salad fast for a couple days. I recommend the book "Raw Food Cleanse" by Penni Shelton. The 3-day cleanse she offers is really quite decent and nothing too extreme.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can lose weight without exercising at all. Cut calories. That's really all there is to it. If you drop down to about 1200 calories a day, you'll lose weight. You just have to make up your mind to be hungry.

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Best tips are:

Eat 4 - 5 small meals a day.

Meal portions: Half of your plate should be veggies, or two big handfuls, but basically eat what you like. Quarter of it should be lean protein, about the size and thickness of your palm. , Quarter of it can be slow carbohydrates such as brown rice, lentils, beans, quinoa, amaranth, etc, but you can cut the slow carbs if you like.

Don't drink your calories. Drink water, tea, or coffee (Only one or two cups of coffee is recommended.) And don't add any milk or sugar to anything. Be sure to drink plenty of water, especially when active.

Eat plenty of vegetables, as colourful as you can. You can eat as many veggies as you like. They're very nutrient and anti-oxidant rich, which means anti-aging as well. The reason you can eat pretty much all you like is because it's mostly water. Examples: Broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, carrots (Maybe limit to 1 or 2), lettuce, kale, collard greens, cabbage, rutabaga, squash, bell peppers, etc. Limit potatoes, and other sweet veggies. Steaming is optimal, next is boiling, next is frying (Use unrefined extra virgin canola oil if possible, limit to 1 tablespoon or less)

Eat fruits, but make sure they're the right type. Apples and oranges are awesome. Anything with a peel, or citrusy. Berries are also awesome. Stay away from bananas, grapes, and dried fruits, due to fast carbs and sugars.

Have a small handful of healthy fats with a meal, if you like. Unsalted, raw nuts and seeds. Avocados (Be aware that one medium avocado is a small meal.) Avoid oils, but if cooking with oils, use healthy, non-refined, extra virgin oils.

Walk for at least 2 hours everyday. You can split the time up if you like. Walking around at work or school doesn't count. It has to be on your own time.

Eat whole, real foods. Read the ingredients on food that is processed. If it's got ingredients you don't understand, don't buy them. Period.

Cut out everything else. No refined sugar, no breads, no processed packaged foods. (Dark, wholegrain and wholewheat Breads can be good for you, but not optimal for weight loss, especially if problems with portion control.)

Extras: Spices are great, and add flavour. Again, limit oils, but spices will taste better if infused in oil for a time. Limit salt intake. For salads, use lemon juice and some spices for a nice pick me up.

As a side note, I like to drink lemon water before eating breakfast to help with digestion.

Example Meal Day:

Breakfast: A bowl of oatmeal, with berries on top and cinnamon. Small handful of nuts to garnish if desired.

Snack: Salad with cucumbers, lettuce, small handful of nuts, lean protein of some kind, lemon and spices. Have fun with it.

Lunch: Black beans and brown rice with lean protein of some type, tomato puree, cumin, basil, oregano, added water until favoured consistency. Add as many veggies as desired.

Snack: Apple with plate of carrots.

Dinner: Stir fry with baby corns, bean sprouts, quinoa or other type of grain or legume, few splashes of soy sauce, some spices.

Bam, done. You can even have a little snack before bed if you like.

Follow this advice strictly, and you will reap the benefits. Disclaimer: Meal plan was only an idea. Variety in eating is optimal.

If interested, I recommend this site for recipe ideas. If you're a meat eater, you can always sub for lean protein.

http://www.healthyeatingstartshere.com/

There are also other resources and plenty of food blogs.

http://fitnessista.com/

http://healthifulbalance.blogspot.de/2012/05/4-day-weekend-plans.html

http://blueberrysmiles.com/2012/05/15/mothers-day-eats-wiaw-20/

http://www.peasandcrayons.com/ (If you look at her ''What I Ate Wednesday'' post, there are links to others that show what they eat. They're pretty much all geared towards healthy eating and fitness.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You can lose weight without exercising at all. Cut calories. That's really all there is to it. If you drop down to about 1200 calories a day, you'll lose weight. You just have to make up your mind to be hungry.

Right. Until your metabolism plummets, and you can't eat 1300 calories without ballooning.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tried it for a month

Yoga's useless for weight loss anyway, it basically just limbers you up and gives you more muscles. Do you have access to an ocean or a pool? Surfing or swimming's a great calorie burner.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More muscles means weight loss, doesn't it?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yoga's useless for weight loss anyway, it basically just limbers you up and gives you more muscles. .

this assertion is incorrect ...Bikram/power/hot yoga burns a lot of calories and can and does lead to weight loss. You must be referring to hatha or yin yoga exclusively...also building muscle also leads to fat loss and a higher metabolism.

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yoga doesn't really build much muscle (Ashtanga and power yoga are exceptions). If you've always been inactive, then you will obviously see results. But it wouldn't do much for somebody who actually lifts weights, for instance. It's not really a muscle-builder or maintainer. It's more of a great way to become flexible, and to build core strength. These things are very important, granted, but they shouldn't be the only thing you're doing in your exercise regime.

I find Ashtanga Yoga truly inspiring, and would love to achieve this one day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k

If you're really lazy, just adding a 2 hour walk everyday will definitely show improvement. Walking is underrated in the unhealthy and lazy people. I used to be there, so I know.

High intensity interval training, tabata is very effective, with a short amount of time. bodyrock.tv used to be pretty effective, until Zuzana left. Now it's far too variable. Getting in just a 10 - 15 minute a day of high intensity can be pretty optimal. I used to do 6 minutes of high intensity before breakfast, which was awesome. Lost interest though.

If you want to build muscle, lift weights. Squats, deadlifts, rows and lunges are best. They will help build muscle, and burn fat.

What I will do during a session is usually 3 sets of each, 8 - 12 reps with 1 - 3 minute breaks in between for squats and rows. One set of dead lifts, 8 - 12 reps, one set of lunges on each leg, 8 - 12 reps. Increasing weights as often as able.

If you're concerned about 'bulking'... Don't. That's a silly myth. Ladies don't bulk, we just lean up. It all depends on what you eat. You can't really lift more after a certain point if you're not focusing on how many grams of protein you get in a day. It's just really, really good for you to balance cardio with weight training.

And if you're ballooning at 1300 kcal, 'metabolism' likely has nothing to do with it. It's all about what you're taking in and how often you move. And how tall you are, how much you weigh. Try not to go below your BMR. People try to rush it, without lasting results. If you're eating fast sugars and carbs, such as mixed cereals, breads, and other hidden unhealthy foods, it's gonna show on you. Especially if you're not drinking enough water.

There is an enormous difference between eating 1300 kcal of bread, ice cream, juices, candy, and 1300 kcal of beans, rice, tofu, green vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, lean protein, etc.

Everything that is sold in the stores should be questioned. Anytime something costs money, it should be questioned, because the only motivation is profit. They don't care about your health. Even if something says, ''Healthy'' or ''balanced'' on the package, it usually isn't. Be smart, and read ingredient labels. This is a huge step towards healthy eating.

My own experience through my understanding of nutrition helped me to go from morbidly obese to healthy. There are no shortcuts to your health. Change your lifestyle. Don't expect a quick fix.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=15714]Fleeting[/MENTION], yes actually you can do Bikram, and Bikram alone, if you do it 3-4 times a week. Walking is also helpful, of course.

The studio where I go we do that same Ashtanga series with modifications for different levels. And you can do that series, heated. There's also the potential to do yoga every single day if you want, some people take more than one class a day, and there's the yin core restore. Plus they also offer sculpt classes with light hand weights while doing poses.

Its possible to get your entire work out from yoga and walking, which is why I brought power yoga up to chknz in the first place, and figured since she lives in a major city she could easily find a studio.

However even if she did other forms of yoga with some serious walking and biking or swimming, that would be good for her as well.

I doubt very seriously she'd follow a diet as strict as you suggest, or do sprints, but I do congratulate you on your major weight loss, that is no small accomplishment, kudos to you. :)

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I think that variety is pretty key to being healthy. With exercise, as well as food. My advice was a guideline. Obviously you've got to treat yourself.

I don't have a thorough understanding of yoga, but I do understand anatomy. After a certain amount of time with body weight exercises, such as yoga, you can't build muscle without some form of resistance. Once your body is accustomed to your own weight, you are unable to surpass that muscle build, and will only maintain it.

If you do yoga and add some type of resistance, however, or some type of dynamic energy, you may gain.

If you only aspire to build muscle: Increase resistance, gain muscle, muscle reaches current potential, increase resistance.

And again, bulking only happens if you also increase what you're eating along with that. Especially proteins. And usually in pretty vast amounts. So don't worry about looking like a man, it's not going to happen unless you want it to, and without years of dedication.

I think that you can most certainly be healthy if you're doing only yoga, as well. I hadn't meant to imply otherwise. Only that your optimal health is with a mix of yoga, cardio and strength. This makes the most sense to me, and the hypothesis seems supported by plenty of evidence.

In my opinion, losing weight shouldn't be the goal. It should be health. And if it's health, it doesn't make sense to eat crap. When you get used to eating healthy, it's not 'strict'. It's fun, and you find ways to make it entertaining, as well as incredibly delicious.

And, thank you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bikram has a cardio and strength component. Also I recommend that all people walk, walk, walk.

From my perspective what you're recommending is almost athlete level training, I mean not everyone can even do sprinting intervals (and not everyone can do power yoga, you already have to be at a certain fitness level to tolerate the more energetic yang yoga plus the heat).

I don't think all people want to necessarily build as much muscle as you're suggesting. People who do things like yoga and dance increase strength by lifting their own body weight.

Anyway you have good suggestions, its just that I think its more for people who are hard core into fitness. Not everyone is into fitness as a hobby (chknz has pretty much said she hates exercise) so I think its more realistic to suggest a moderate activity level she could do for health, and to boost her metabolism a bit so that she can either lose ten pounds, or just lose a few pounds but look more toned and fit into the jeans she wants to wear.

You kick ass, though. You're clearly quite fit.

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Bikram has a cardio and strength component. Also I recommend that all people walk, walk, walk.

From my perspective what you're recommending is almost athlete level training, I mean not everyone can even do sprinting intervals (and not everyone can do power yoga, you already have to be at a certain fitness level to tolerate the more energetic yang yoga plus the heat).

I don't think all people want to necessarily build as much muscle as you're suggesting. People who do things like yoga and dance increase strength by lifting their own body weight.

Anyway you have good suggestions, its just that I think its more for people who are hard core into fitness. Not everyone is into fitness as a hobby (chknz has pretty much said she hates exercise) so I think its more realistic to suggest a moderate activity level she could do for health, and to boost her metabolism a bit so that she can either lose ten pounds, or just lose a few pounds but look more toned and fit into the jeans she wants to wear.

You kick ass, though. You're clearly quite fit.

Lol, I'm far from an athlete, that's for sure. I know I don't do nearly enough, but I do aspire to be as fit as possible, so I try to keep myself informed.

My advice was all just ideas to work from. I, myself, could never follow something strictly (From my perspective) without changing it up or breaking a lot of rules. Like taking too many treat days and rest days. My style is really up and down, but at least now my treat days are things I make myself, and not packaged stuff from the store. I'm pretty proud of this new development.

It's really all about... Taking it one step at a time. The ideas I talk about are all just useful to know. I think that much is clear. Not all need to be incorporated. I think even just doing one of those things for a month, and then adding another, is awesome too. Everybody's got their own pace. Mine seems snailish. I hear about girls who go on the elliptical for hours, and I can't do more than 45 minutes of cardio at this point. 30 minutes if I'm going on a jog|run. I'm just not disciplined enough, and I never keep on a routine. It seems impossible for me. I always have to have something new to throw in, have to switch up days, or I lose interest.

It's not really about being an athlete, but trying to be the best we can, and improve ourselves to our greatest potential.

I think it's cool that you know so much about yoga, and I really, really want to get more into this. I only know simple postures. I've actually figured that I don't have the strength to do Ashtanga yet, or flexibility and that I'm not fit enough. :p. I figure that, like in strength training, posture and form is the most important, and without instruction on form, following postures from the internet isn't a good idea.

Although I was actually doing the camel pose and wheel when yoga became my newest sensation, I was told by close ones to tone it down or I was going to break something, and they're usually right about that. I break things. Hasn't been myself yet, luckily.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=15714]Fleeting[/MENTION] I think from your level of cardio you'd be fit enough to start trying a non-heated beginner class to see how it goes. Ive been flexible my whole life bc I danced for years and years growing up, and then a different kind of dance as an adult. HOWEVER lots of male athletes lack flexibility due to the nature of sports, despite their fitness level in cardio and strength and hand-eye coordination, and they still can learn power yoga.

You aren't sedentary, so I think you should give a beginning class a try since you're so interested. You can always improve your flexibility through practice. :)

Nephele

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm getting fat too :( I've actually joined a martial arts class, and have (poorly) taken up running. Also, switching to fatty foods but healthy fats, avocado, bread, real butter, water, tea, organic fruits. I find the more processed foods I eat, the more weight I put on. Salads taste like arse, but with a nice vinegarette, not so much! I've seen the results so far, slowly losing the weight and eating nice foods still.

Curt

Permabanned
If you do not want to get fat then make a daily work out plan. Get up early in the morning, have some glass of water and then go for jogging/walk. See the nature and feel fresh air. Get in a habit of using vegetables and fruits. Avoid fast foods and oily foods. Drink much water and use green tea daily. Sleep on time. Keep a gap of 4 5 hours in your meals. Eat slowly so your food get digested quickly.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
how do you lose weight? I've always been skinny but my metabolism is catching up. I plan to walk 3 mornings a week 1-3 miles but i don't wanna be fat :( :(:(

Covering 1 - 3 miles on a flat surface does not help you much. Walk uphill and downhill. If you have stairs in your house, arrange so that you constantly have to climb them. You will lose your most of your fat in six weeks.

R

RDF

3-what-alex.png

More at: http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/