• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thyroid Issues?

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Anyone have any issues with their thyroid? I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition in which the body attacks the thyroid. I also have a "nodule" that is "suspicious" so they have to cut my neck open to remove it.

It's damn inconvenient. :dry:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sigh, yeah, it sure is, huh?

I know three people who have had thyroid cancer (including my best friend), all three had it removed. Obviously they have to be on maintenance meds to replace what their body can no longer produce. But I am not sure how your situation compares. Can they give you medicine to stop the auto-immune reaction, and would that complicate your natural resistance to sickness? And what about potential removal of the thyroid -- I suppose that it just something they will figure out after the biopsy?

When do you go in?

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Sigh, yeah, it sure is, huh?

I know three people who have had thyroid cancer (including my best friend), all three had it removed. Obviously they have to be on maintenance meds to replace what their body can no longer produce. But I am not sure how your situation compares. Can they give you medicine to stop the auto-immune reaction, and would that complicate your natural resistance to sickness? And what about potential removal of the thyroid -- I suppose that it just something they will figure out after the biopsy?

When do you go in?

Oh, they did the biopsy. I have three nodules, they biopsied two and one came back "suspicious". In other words, it might be cancer. They're going to remove half my thyroid with the three nodules on it, and look at it closer. If it is cancer, they'll remove the rest of my thyroid while I'm still on the operating table. Its scheduled for June 4th. The meds for Hashimotos is the same as for if they remove the entire thyroid, just different dosages, so I'm bound to go on that anyway.

With the little bit of research I've done, it seems like the most contentious of medical problems. Doctors can't agree on the best course of action and many of the patients are unhappy with the answers they get. "Acceptable" hormone levels don't match up with many patients acceptable levels of feeling well, if that makes sense. They want more meds, or differents meds, and the doctors tell them the numbers say they're fine. Its a situation I don't relish getting into. Granted, a little more energy would be great.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, they did the biopsy. I have three nodules, they biopsied two and one came back "suspicious". In other words, it might be cancer. They're going to remove half my thyroid with the three nodules on it, and look at it closer. If it is cancer, they'll remove the rest of my thyroid while I'm still on the operating table. Its scheduled for June 4th. The meds for Hashimotos is the same as for if they remove the entire thyroid, just different dosages, so I'm bound to go on that anyway.

Uh huh. Sigh. Sorry you have to deal with this. How has your energy level been? It really mucks with the metabolism, doesn't it?

With the little bit of research I've done, it seems like the most contentious of medical problems. Doctors can't agree on the best course of action and many of the patients are unhappy with the answers they get. "Acceptable" hormone levels don't match up with many patients acceptable levels of feeling well, if that makes sense. They want more meds, or differents meds, and the doctors tell them the numbers say they're fine...

I don't consider my sort of meds to be comparable to your situation... but the feelings are the same. A lot of the "success of treatment" is based on the contentment of the patient, and doctors disagree on specific treatment -- usually each patient has to fight for what they feel they need or what "feels better" to them.

So it is like fine-tuning a car, and they'd have to adjust your meds until you feel you have a good energy flow for you.

My friend had to do some radioactive iodine treatments too, to make sure all the thyroid cells were kaput.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Uh huh. Sigh. Sorry you have to deal with this. How has your energy level been? It really mucks with the metabolism, doesn't it?
I don't really know actually. I've thought I might have a thyroid issue for years, then I thought, well, maybe I'm just a low energy person. Most INTP's are anyway aren't they? I had a blood test a few years ago and was told my Thyroid Stimulating Hormone was normal (still is actually) so convinced myself this is "normal" for me. I've started eating better and exercising and it helps a lot. I lose weight when I try correctly (I tend to go overboard sometimes and eat at starvation-mode level). Basically, the symptoms exist but mildly. If the medication makes me feel better than I do now, I'll actually be thrilled!
:yes:

I don't consider my sort of meds to be comparable to your situation... but the feelings are the same. A lot of the "success of treatment" is based on the contentment of the patient, and doctors disagree on specific treatment -- usually each patient has to fight for what they feel they need or what "feels better" to them.

So it is like fine-tuning a car, and they'd have to adjust your meds until you feel you have a good energy flow for you.
That's the problem, I'm just not good at fighting for what I think I want or need. I'm more like the homeless Dickins child: "Sir, may I have your scraps?" lol

My friend had to do some radioactive iodine treatments too, to make sure all the thyroid cells were kaput.
Yeah, my surgeon told me about that, but says that the nodule in question seems to be small enough for her to doubt I'd need it. *crosses fingers*