• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

health nutters I need to get from a size 6 to a size 4

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
would this diet work 3-4 weeks before

breakfast:lowfat yogurt, granola, fruit
lunch:salad with lean protein such as chicken or turkey
dinner:baked or steamed fish

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I do not believe in diets, and neither does any respectable nutritionist you talk to. I think that diets often form a restriction in your daily desires, and to force yourself to survive based on some very rough guidelines is just not enjoyable, and ultimately detrimental. This is the number one reason why people bounce back to their pre-diet weight. Already, your diet seems quite excessive, and one you probably won't want to stick to once you arrive to your desired weight.

What you should do is incorporate more daily exercises, and always keep your blood sugar level at a healthy place. Exercising a little bit every day can do wonders. Hiking for an hour, for example, helps you burn about 400 calories (which are 300 more than just sitting in front of a computer). Working out for an hour helps you burn about 900-1000 calories... this is quite a bit! Add to that all of the benefits, and it is a no doubter than exercising IS the most important thing.

An EXTREMELY important tip is to not go to sleep right after eating. The rule of thumb is to not eat after 7 PM, and I guess this roughly translates to "Don't eat anything 3-4 hours before you go to sleep". The last thing you want to do is for your body to have all of these calories in your body, and for them to become fat as you sleep.

This is how I've been able to lose 50 pounds in the last year, and I'm eating a pasta soup with tofu at the moment :).

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I do not believe in diets, and neither does any respectable nutritionist you talk to. I think that diets often form a restriction in your daily desires, and to force yourself to survive based on some very rough guidelines is just not enjoyable, and ultimately detrimental. This is the number one reason why people bounce back to their pre-diet weight. Already, your diet seems quite excessive, and one you probably won't want to stick to once you arrive to your desired weight.

What you should do is incorporate more daily exercises, and always keep your blood sugar level at a healthy place. Exercising a little bit every day can do wonders. Hiking for an hour, for example, helps you burn about 400 calories (which are 300 more than just sitting in front of a computer). Working out for an hour helps you burn about 900-1000 calories... this is quite a bit! Add to that all of the benefits, and it is a no doubter than exercising IS the most important thing.

An EXTREMELY important tip is to not go to sleep right after eating. The rule of thumb is to not eat after 7 PM, and I guess this roughly translates to "Don't eat anything 3-4 hours before you go to sleep". The last thing you want to do is for your body to have all of these calories in your body, and for them to become fat as you sleep.

This is how I've been able to lose 50 pounds in the last year, and I'm eating a pasta soup with tofu at the moment :).

Good advice. I've been through too many diets to realise it's way more important when you eat than what you eat.

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Good advice. I've been through too many diets to realise it's way more important when you eat than what you eat.

*nods* snacking is important... The average American, for example, often starves himself through several hours (work/school/etc), and then has a HUGE dinner to make up for it. This is AWFUL for your body.

Cliff bars are awesome, and so is fruit :).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Stop eating sugar, only eat whole grains (like oats, quinoa, Wasa whole grain crackers, dark rye bread (Eastern European style, look at labels), spelt/"Bible" bread, and sourdough bread has 0 grams of sugar)...and eat lean proteins, beans, lentils, hummus, unsweetened nut butters, nuts, vegetables, fruits, dairy, and eggs.

With dairy, be careful that you usually eat unsweetened yogurt, kefir, or sour cream and less cheese. Cheese is hella heavy. You can still eat cheese (I love cheese) just don't overload on it.

Don't starve yourself, and if you want something sweet, look for things sweetened with honey or organic cane juice instead of white table sugar.

Avoid high fructose corn syrup like the devil.

Exercise. Even if that just means taking long walks, or doing yoga.

Occasionally have a day where you eat pizza and candy bars if you want, because otherwise you'll feel too deprived.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
*nods* snacking is important... The average American, for example, often starves himself through several hours (work/school/etc), and then has a HUGE dinner to make up for it. This is AWFUL for your body.

Cliff bars are awesome, and so is fruit :).

Actually Americans snack too much, they eat chips and candy and other garbage all day long, and don't sit down to their meals, instead eating while in the car, watching tv, or walking. Mindless snacking is an American epidemic.

Eating several small meals or healthy snacks are okay, but actually the French aren't big snackers.

Cliff bars are more like breakfast or a small meal, not a snack. They are extraordinarily high protein, contain fat, and have nearly 300 calories. Cliff bars are a "snack" if you're going to go run or bike or hike or something.

A snack is like a small cup of greek yogurt plain and unsweetened, some veggies or fruit, or whole grain crackers.

Something that I used to be obsessed with was whole grain bread with no sugars, with unsweetened peanut butter or almond butter, and honey. That was like my "dessert" that I would eat before or after I ran. Because otherwise at that point I wasn't eating anything sweet at all otherwise, except for bananas or apples or something.

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Don't starve yourself, and if you want something sweet, look for things sweetened with honey or organic cane juice instead of white table sugar.

Avoid high fructose corn syrup like the devil.

Exercise. Even if that just means taking long walks, or doing yoga.

Occasionally have a day where you eat pizza and candy bars if you want, because otherwise you'll feel too deprived.

Your post had great points, but I feel these are definitely the most important.

I have some friends who are trying to lose weight, and if they have a couple of pizza slices, or some cookies, they feel like they must starve themselves for the rest of the week to "not break the rhythm."

It REALLY shouldn't be like that. It should be seen as a 'healthy' lifestyle, and not a restrictive one. If you feel like you fucked up, do cardio for some more minutes if that will make you feel better.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your post had great points, but I feel these are definitely the most important.

I have some friends who are trying to lose weight, and if they have a couple of pizza slices, or some cookies, they feel like they must starve themselves for the rest of the week to "not break the rhythm."

It REALLY shouldn't be like that. It should be seen as a 'healthy' lifestyle, and not a restrictive one. If you feel like you fucked up, do cardio for some more minutes if that will make you feel better.

I don't see what the big deal is, I mean you eat regularly and occasionally you feast. That's feasting, not normal eating. It's just some of us have been programmed to believe that feasting should be an every day occurrence.

You know, if you eat very healthy six days a week and feast on the seventh, it actually revs your metabolism up to have to process all the extra calories and stuff that one day, and keeps you from feeling deprived.

That is a healthy lifestyle, I think.

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't see what the big deal is, I mean you eat regularly and occasionally you feast. That's feasting, not normal eating. It's just some of us have been programmed to believe that feasting should be an every day occurrence.

You know, if you eat very healthy six days a week and feast on the seventh, it actually revs your metabolism up to have to process all the extra calories and stuff that one day, and keeps you from feeling deprived.

That is a healthy lifestyle, I think.

*nods* I agree. It's about moderation, and there are SO many things that your body 'takes into account' to grow bigger/smaller that we don't know about. That's why I find it sort of humorous when people obsess over 'HOW MANY CALORIES DID I HAVE TODAY!?! Omg I'm going to put on 2 pounds after the way I ate today!", when really... I see people from all sizes and shapes do this every once in a while, and they are fine.

Heck, I have a female friend who has a rocking body, and she ever so often liked to go to this (disgusting) chinese buffet that cooked its food with the greasiest of oils. I grew sick after eating there once, but she seemed to like it, and she still has a stunning body.

What you said about 'reving' your body is also very true. A lot of people think that by eating little, their bodies will just make up that by using the excess fat in our body... and it doesn't quite work that way. What your body is going to do is adjust so it doesn't have to burn as much energy, and that's why sometimes it makes us feel groggy and tired.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
*nods* I agree. It's about moderation, and there are SO many things that your body 'takes into account' to grow bigger/smaller that we don't know about. That's why I find it sort of humorous when people obsess over 'HOW MANY CALORIES DID I HAVE TODAY!?! Omg I'm going to put on 2 pounds after the way I ate today!", when really... I see people from all sizes and shapes do this every once in a while, and they are fine.

Heck, I have a female friend who has a rocking body, and she ever so often liked to go to this (disgusting) chinese buffet that cooked its food with the greasiest of oils. I grew sick after eating there once, but she seemed to like it, and she still has a stunning body.

What you said about 'reving' your body is also very true. A lot of people think that by eating little, their bodies will just make up that by using the excess fat in our body... and it doesn't quite work that way. What your body is going to do is adjust so it doesn't have to burn as much energy, and that's why sometimes it makes us feel groggy and tired.

Yeah and I don't think eating healthy should be miserable or you'll stop. That's why I threw multiple suggestions at prplchknz and some guidelines to follow so she could do this longer term without feeling like she was following a regimented diet.

Regimented diets are boring, they suck, and they make you feel deprived. Not to mention that doctors recommend that you don't necessarily eat the same thing every day.

You can do a lot with those basic ingredients to switch them up (of course, being reasonable...like I poach my eggs, for example, instead of frying them...I happen to love poached eggs, though) so that you aren't like I have to eat this, this, and this for breakfast lunch and dinner.

That way you could be eating healthy, but still go to a restaurant, for example.

I also think it's a mistake that people are STILL programmed with the idea that eating a bunch of sugar is okay as long as things are "low fat."

Eating a bunch of refined sugar is never okay, and one of the reasons why so many people are gluten intolerant now isn't because we should be following paleo diets or the Atkins diet, but because our breads should be whole grain and less refined.

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
No vegetables?

There's 'salad' in there :p, but I really think she needs to avoid diets altogether. That's what [MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION] and I have been discussing. There is no point stepping down to size 4 by restricting yourself temporarily with such shitty procedures. It's more about taking on a lifestyle 'adjustment'. This keeps it a little bit more entertaining, and there are bigger chances she won't bounce back to size 6 after she gets there.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
There's 'salad' in there :p, but I really think she needs to avoid diets altogether. That's what [MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION] and I have been discussing. There is no point stepping down to size 4 by restricting yourself temporarily with such shitty procedures. It's more about taking on a lifestyle 'adjustment'. This keeps it a little bit more entertaining, and there are bigger chances she won't bounce back to size 6 after she gets there.

oh, hunny i don't care if i bounce back to a size 6 i just need to fit in the dress.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
oh, hunny i don't care if i bounce back to a size 6 i just need to fit in the dress.

If you need to fit into a dress in two weeks, eat lean meats like chicken and fish (baked or grilled or pan fried in olive oil, not deep fried or breaded), beans or lentils or peas, and cottage cheese and plain unsweetened yogurt and fruits and vegetables.

Avoid bread and if you're dying for carbs, eat something like oatmeal or brown rice.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also make sure the oatmeal is plain. Absolutely no sugar. You can also eat barley, spelt, quinoa...not in excess, though.

Lark

Daily exercise, if you're doing cardio, ie running, walking, climbing stairs, any of the machines which emulate those, work at your limit for at least half and hour and seek to improve that each time you undertake the activity, either effort or distance.

Although I would say that replacing fat with muscle is your best bet and also the best bet for keeping the weight off since even when at rest muscle can burn off food you've consumed, in which case I'd recommend a five to ten minute warm up cardio, then weights or machines which use weights for sets of ten lifts, three times, interspaced with thirty second breaks (at least but you're the best judge of this yourself) and as to the amount of weight, you'll have to judge that but an amount at which you can do eight to twelve lifts properly, ie not jerking or dropping or otherwise seeking to employ momentum, gravity etc. to get the movement done. Once you can do the set of three at a specific weight or resistance level and feel you could do another two or three at that level without tiring or strain then increase the weight or resistance by a little.

You wont necessarily turn out obviously muscular from doing this, especially if you're working using your legs or stomach or lower back or shoulders.

Diet wise I'm the worst to ask and honestly dont believe that diets work at all, seriously, I've lost more in six weeks of more or less daily gym practice than I did in the previous four or five years of different diet fads. Its got to be daily. You should exercise as much as you eat, those are two things that you need in equal measure, if it helps keep a journal with food intake in one column and exercise in the other, try to exercise as often as you have meals, ie so three meals a day means three seperate activities which will break a sweat. I've heard if you're drinking more water, eliminating carbs (rice, bread, potatos, pasta, dough and dairy too) then you can eat as often as six times a day and it'll actually benefit you but you need to do even more exercise.

If you're doing the weights training you should take break days in between, either do cardio exercises those days or nothing specifically sporting but perhaps walk, it'll allow your muscles time to recover and develop.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know what else I thought of? Make homemade soup. I know you cook like I do. Make a vegetable soup, cabbage soup, or vegetarian borscht. Live off of it for several days, with maybe some low-sugar fruits as snacks, and some low-sugar bread like sourdough or dark rye. Don't do it for long though, because it's kind of a low-calorie starvation diet, but you could do this for like three days, then switch over to mostly eating lean proteins with fruits and vegetables, no bread, and some whole grains.

Noon

Hm. It's short term and you don't care about keeping it off, right?

Do you drop 2 sizes from a ~10 pound loss? Because 8 pounds in 4 weeks is pretty reasonable and I think that'd be at least a 1 size drop.

It's best to keep the food as nutrient dense as possible. You could eat tons of dark leafy greens, non-starchy vegetables, and low GI fruit and be completely satiated while still in sizeable deficit. Legumes work well for filling up long. Water, apples, and raw nuts work well for decreasing cravings; the nuts are pretty easy -- but not empty -- calories too. Bananas are pretty high in sugar but IMO they're perfect fuel for strong cardio like running. Much better that you do circuit workouts instead of just plain cardio, though.

It would help to make sure that your yogurt is all-natural and low in added sugar, that your salad doesn't have a lot of cheese, croutons, or dairy-based dressing, and that your chicken/turkey is not too large in portion. But you should probably have more than just the fish for dinner if you're able.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Do you drop 2 sizes from a ~10 pound loss? Because 8 pounds in 4 weeks is pretty reasonable and I think that'd be at least a 1 size drop.

It's best to keep the food as nutrient dense as possible. You could eat tons of dark leafy greens, non-starchy vegetables, and low GI fruit and be completely satiated while still in sizeable deficit. Legumes work well for filling up long. Water, apples, and raw nuts work well for decreasing cravings; the nuts are pretty easy -- but not empty -- calories too. Bananas are pretty high in sugar but IMO they're perfect fuel for strong cardio like running. Much better that you do circuit workouts instead of just plain cardio, though.

It would help to make sure that your yogurt is all-natural and low in added sugar, that your salad doesn't have a lot of cheese, croutons, or dairy-based dressing, and that your chicken/turkey is not too large in portion. But you should probably have more than just the fish for dinner if you're able.

yeah i was gonna eat more than just fish but fish be the main course. I make my own italian dressing i might find a raspberry vinnigriatte recipe to vary it a little bit

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

She can lose more than that in a month if she cuts out sugar, refined carbohydrates, and only eats the rawest, darkest grains she can find. There's also nothing wrong with soup fasts if they're for a reasonably short period of time, to "cleanse" and kick start a diet.

People lose the most weight by cutting out anything white, or even from getting all their carbs from beans/lentils/peas and fruits and vegetables for a shorter period of time.