• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Probiotics

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think probiotics and natural antibiotic and anti-viral substances like garlic and onions are probably the best way to avoid having to go to the doctor and take prescription antibiotics.

Probiotics are not only necessary to intestinal health, but can support the immune system and even prevent yeast infections in women.

One of the things that I think is interesting is that the U.S. has ignored probiotics for many years. Even our lame yogurt products have been shitty in comparison to some of the Greek varieties that are finally emerging on the market.

I really like plain greek yogurt and kefir. I also just tried ryazhenka for the first time today, which tastes like a cross between kefir and condensed milk...and the richness of it means it's slightly more fattening, but has a richer taste than kefir.
This is actually the first time in my entire life I've actually seen ryazhenka in an American store. (Maybe I should look harder).

I wonder if the natural way of getting probiotics (yogurt, kefir, ryazhenka) is better than taking supplements, or if supplements are a fast way of getting the maximum good bacteria into your system.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was surprised at how expensive the supplements are (not to mention confusing- so many of them). I'm all for getting them the natural way because of that.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
^ Yeah, probiotics seem like a rip-off, but they work, especially after a course of anti-biotics, or a night of hard drinking.
I have wondered if they might be an adjunct treatment for depression/anxiety, since some research has pointed to involvement of gut bacteria in those conditions.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been probiotic dry for six months now, but I never noticed the difference on and off them. I just trust the gut-work that happens, especially since I'm gluten intolerant it makes it more imperative to balance the intensitinal flora.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've noticed I really do feel better when I drink kefir, and I honestly crave greek yogurt.

I've also used plain, unsweetened yogurt to treat a yeast infection without using any kind of harsh OTC medications.

[MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION] yeah it seems best to just incorporate probiotic foods into your regular diet. It just keeps your body working properly and is cheaper.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have wondered if they might be an adjunct treatment for depression/anxiety, since some research has pointed to involvement of gut bacteria in those conditions.

I was wondering about that as well. Especially since kefir, in particular, promotes a feeling of well-being, that there's truth to the depression/anxiety link. I read a bit about it last night.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was wondering about that as well. Especially since kefir, in particular, promotes a feeling of well-being, that there's truth to the depression/anxiety link. I read a bit about it last night.

I love kefir. i would drink it everyday if I had more money

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Drink it instead of milk. Voila, it becomes more affordable.

as soon as I can convince my parents to buy it, I will, but I think me having enough to pay for it will come before then (I just got a pretty promising job)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
as soon as I can convince my parents to buy it, I will, but I think me having enough to pay for it will come before then (I just got a pretty promising job)

Oh you don't have a job.

You could also learn how to make it at home. Ever since I met my ENTJ friend a couple of years ago I've been saying I'm going to make tvorog at home, and I still haven't done it. HOWEVER, apparently making kefir is much quicker and simpler to make than tvorog if you have kefir grains.

You have to buy those, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe in the long run... (health wise). I've only seen it ever packaged in small containers. :p

Well Elfboy is a single man, it's not like he's buying gallons of milk for a partner or a family. I can make one of those smaller bottles of kefir last for two or three days unless I'm totally starving and want to eat that all in one day instead of eating other things.

I also only buy smaller containers of milk for myself. I buy gallons now sometimes because I privately cook for some elderly and disabled people now.

However, I tend to eat more yogurt, kefir, cheese and sour cream so I can actually forget about buying milk.

Also, it's so rich you don't need to drink as much of it as milk at once. It's got a thicker consistency.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well Elfboy is a single man, it's not like he's buying gallons of milk for a partner or a family. I can make one of those smaller bottles of kefir last for two or three days unless I'm totally starving and want to eat that all in one day instead of eating other things.

I also only buy smaller containers of milk for myself. I buy gallons now sometimes because I privately cook for some elderly and disabled people now.

However, I tend to eat more yogurt, kefir, cheese and sour cream so I can actually forget about buying milk.

Also, it's so rich you don't need to drink as much of it as milk at once. It's got a thicker consistency.
It is a cheaper alternative home made. Elfboy should hook that up.
I'm dairy intolerant, but I've tried kefir since it has less lactate enzymes present. I do like it. There aren't many nondairy probiotic options out there... except for natto and kimchi maybe.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

there is some really good stuff at my health market, but it's kind of expensive for my current budget (which is $0 LOL) but it would be well worth the money if I had it

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is a cheaper alternative home made. Elfboy should hook that up.
I'm dairy intolerant, but I've tried kefir since it has less lactate enzymes present. I do like it. There aren't many nondairy probiotic options out there... except for natto and kimchi maybe.

Kefir is cheaper than many brand name yogurts, if you go by per ounce, and combine the fact that it has a higher probiotic content.

Cheese is actually more expensive. Cheese is some expensive stuff.

It also depends on where you buy kefir, as well. It costs more in some stores than others. You don't have to buy it at a health market [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], go to some place that sells ethnic foods.

Unless you're talking about buying the grains...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I take them every day. Good stuff.