• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Skin care: tips, products, experiences, etc

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since I <3 the Makeup etc products thread, I thought this might be useful to throw into a separate thread. Bonus - likely to be more relevant than the makeup thread for most of our male members.

How much fuss do you put into your skin care regime (if any)? Do you wash your face regularly? Do you have problem skin or underlying conditions to deal with? Sensitive, dry, oily, rosacea, dark circles, acne, etc? What are your favourite products/natural remedies/etc?

It seems like very few people are blessed with naturally great skin and the rest of us have to work at it - what works for you? (try to avoid makeup-based tips as there is already a thread for that!)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've had fairly good skin all my life but I have been taking care of since I was a teenager. I have dry skin and it's even worse in winter. I have tried SO many things but the Philosophy products work best for me in conjunction with a Clarisonic Mia.

mia11-500x332.jpg

I was a little reluctant to spend $100 on the thing but it's been outstanding with the dry patches I get in the winter. I use it every other day with the Purity cleanser.

Morning regiment

philosophy_purity_made_simple_one_step_reviews_1073506_raw.jpg

miracle_workers.jpg

Night regiment

philosophy_purity_made_simple_one_step_reviews_1073506_raw.jpg

300.JPG

84122196_260.jpg

1-167113_fpx.jpg

I'm really happy with all the Philosophy products I've tried. I no longer need any exfoliating products because of the Clarisonic. I have also tried some of the Bare Essentials skin care products (I use Bare Minerals only) and they are good too. If I ever become unhappy with Philosophy, I will go right to them.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was a little reluctant to spend $100 on the thing but it's been outstanding with the dry patches I get in the winter. I use it every other day with the Purity cleanser.

How does it help with dry patches? (I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how that works.)

Also: tweezers. Anybody have a favorite brand? I've used tweezerman for the past several years, and they work better than any others I've tried before, but I'm still not entirely happy with them.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
How does it help with dry patches? (I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how that works.)

Also: tweezers. Anybody have a favorite brand? I've used tweezerman for the past several years, and they work better than any others I've tried before, but I'm still not entirely happy with them.

Better exfoliating I'm assuming. My face feels more smooth and none of the redness around the dry patches either. I'm not sure how that is happening. I also love Tweezerman but I figured out, you have to get them sharpened from time to time. Fortunately Tweezerman will do that for free for the life of the tweezers.

Ingrid in grids

I've been very lucky with my skin, and I don't really have much of a regime. Only recently have I made more of an effort to wash my face with warm water daily, outside of the shower, cleanse and moisturise.

I use products by REN, and would recommend their products to others.

ClearCalm-3-range.jpg

Thankfully I've got an excellent one-stop shop near me (Mecca Cosmetica), with some very helpful staff, so I don't have to shop around much.

1. 1. Avoid washing your face in the shower by holding your face under the high-pressure spray. Over time this will give you spider veins on your face.
  2. 2. With washing your hair, gradually lengthen the time between washes. It will be almost unbearably greasy at first, but soon enough your hair will feel the same one or two weeks as it used to after two days. Definitely worth the grease-ball phase.
  3. 3. If you ever happen to visit one of these places...

ethel-davies-blue-lagoon-mineral-baths-near-keflavik-iceland-polar-regions.jpg

... for gods sake, DO NOT spread the stuff on your face! These natural mineral baths are terrible for your skin, and the so-called health benefits are a myth. Small amounts of sulfur are good for a lot of things, but everyone I know who went to one of these places came out with shocking skin for the next few days, and one for the next week or so.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:unsure: I don't really tend to wash my face ever... when I do it tends to dry out and other stuff and it also takes time... I'll remove makeup (sometimes) but that's about it! I do always wear sunscreen though because I burn easily and skin cancer tends to run in my family :)

I think I fall into the category of naturally lucky people since I'm in general neglectful of my skin and it's still one of my most frequently complemented features :shrug:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Epsom salt baths. I've been trying these out the last few months and my skin has become very healthy and clear. I drink lots of water too, but I know the epsom salt specifically helps when I exfoliate with it. I've never had any other product produce the result it does, but to be fair I haven't gone to great lengths of trying others either. THe cool thing is that it is really cheap!

Here are other benefits:

Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.

Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.

Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.

Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.

Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.

Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.

Improved oxygen use.

Improved absorption of nutrients.

Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.

Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.

LucidLegend1984

MBTI Type
INTJ
Walnuts and Almonds and lots of them. Eat them now!!! nom nom nom

Seriously tho these two nuts are good for the brain and skin. Antioxidants too. Anitoxidents slow the aging process down and make your cell run their best despite the crap food you shouldn't be eating.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Question for you all -

So I did finally get Retin A about a week ago and just started using it. I've noticed that around that time I had an increase of edema generally and my face is a little puffy looking. However, edema is a problem for me generally, so I wondered if it was just coincidence, or if anyone else has experienced this and if so, is it a side effect for some people or part of the acclimating process? I've been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and I think it has made a difference for my skin's tone and colour. I'm hoping to stick it out with the Retin A. So far it hasn't been too irritating - just a little pink.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Question for you all -

So I did finally get Retin A about a week ago and just started using it. I've noticed that around that time I had an increase of edema generally and my face is a little puffy looking. However, edema is a problem for me generally, so I wondered if it was just coincidence, or if anyone else has experienced this and if so, is it a side effect for some people or part of the acclimating process? I've been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and I think it has made a difference for my skin's tone and colour. I'm hoping to stick it out with the Retin A. So far it hasn't been too irritating - just a little pink.
Your skin thins out when you start using Retin A, because it gets rid of the top layer, and gets at the ones below it. You're probably just noticing them more because they're more noticeable, not because they are forming( I doubt this). By the time I stopped using Retina A( a year), most of them were completely gone.
Your lucky it has not irritated you. It hurt the crap out of my skin the first two weeks, and it got so dry and flaky.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what do people mean when they say they don't wash their face? i don't get it...i hear people say that sometimes and i'm trying to understand what they mean...like...just in the shower but not before bed or what?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been fortunate with my skin. I had some acne as a teen and can still get the occasional pimple around my period, etc, but generally it is pretty clear and I often get complimented on it.

I am probably luckier than I deserve because I am hit and miss with skin care. I cleanse daily in the shower and often at night, but not always. I never, ever wear foundation as I don't feel I need it and I think many people get worse skin as a result of using it (especially starting to use it in their teens to cover acne.) I wear a light moisturiser but again I'm a bit hit and miss with that. I think I should work at it a bit more as I am definitely getting more in the way of frown and smile lines now, though nothing unusual for my age. If I use heavier moisturisers or night cream, though, it tends to make my skin oilier and break out. I think I have "combination" skin but nothing too extreme.

I also have a very nice exfoliating Blue Corn mask from Body Shop which does wonders for clearing my pores - again, shouldn't be so hit and miss about using it!! I should use it about once a week, it's usually less than that. The pores on my nose can look a bit clogged and it is particularly good for clearing those.

When I know I'm going to be out in bright sunlight I am quite careful about using sunscreen. Especially if I travel somewhere remotely sunny I tend to take that instead of moisturiser and that works fine.

I should also drink more water... I could be doing worse, but I could be doing better too. Even though my skin looks good now I can't rely on genetic luck forever :laugh:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks YWIR! Wait, what? Because what are not forming? I'm mostly noticing that my face looks a little puffy because it is retaining water and I'm wondering if Retin-A would be the cause, or if the timing was just coincidence. My skin certainly is feeling dry. How long does it take for that to go away? Is it months or weeks?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Walnuts and Almonds and lots of them. Eat them now!!! nom nom nom

Seriously tho these two nuts are good for the brain and skin. Antioxidants too. Anitoxidents slow the aging process down and make your cell run their best despite the crap food you shouldn't be eating.

I eat about 5 handfuls of pistachios a day.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
mia11-500x332.jpg

i'm a diehard fan of the clarisonic too, and i also use the mia.
it's done wonders for the texture of my skin, and is magical
at removing make up.

i use the shu uemura cleansing oil.
10115_lg.jpg

F

figsfiggyfigs

Thanks YWIR! Wait, what? Because what are not forming? I'm mostly noticing that my face looks a little puffy because it is retaining water and I'm wondering if Retin-A would be the cause, or if the timing was just coincidence. My skin certainly is feeling dry. How long does it take for that to go away? Is it months or weeks?

Depends on the person, maybe a few weeks. It usually takes me 3 to 4 weeks to get over the dry face.
Re:forming, I miss read edema as milia( I had just woken up).
I don't think I ever had a problem with edema in general, so I can't really say anything in that regard.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what do people mean when they say they don't wash their face? i don't get it...i hear people say that sometimes and i'm trying to understand what they mean...like...just in the shower but not before bed or what?

it gets wet in the shower and I may occasionally use a makeup removing wipe to remove eye makeup in the morning before putting more on, but soap hasn't touched my face for almost 15 years now... it just dries it out... and my skin doesn't look any worse for the neglect that it receives :shrug:

I still tend to pass as at least 5 years younger than I actually am, so it can't be THAT bad of an idea! :laugh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
wow... so jealous of people without skin issues.

I eat pretty well (no frozen meals, packaged cookies/chips/soups, etc), I wash my face twice a day, use Neutrogena moisturizer, use minimal makeup (use an extremely light powder foundation, but only as of the last couple of years)... and at age 33 still have super oily skin, blackheads/clogged pores are the norm, and actual pimples common. It's totally lame; but these days is VERY manageable and not terribly noticeable, as compared to my teenage years.

Anyway, I assume it'll continue on this way through menopause at least.. I think it's just in my genetics: my sensitivity to various intakes/products may be higher than for most who don't have to worry about various skin-related things, and frankly, I just think my skin goes into excess-oil mode as a given rule.

For myself, I suspect diet is the biggest thing... I think my body is just more sensitive to those sorts of things than other peoples' bodies, maybe. Like I said, I feel like compared to the average person I eat well .. I try to avoid processed foods as a general rule, but of course it happens. Difficult to avoid completely. However, when I was traveling in Turkey for 3 weeks several years ago, my skin was really really good - I noticed a difference. Almost entirely fresh ingredients, without any preservatives or white sugars to speak of. So apparently I need to move to Turkey. lol. ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it gets wet in the shower and I may occasionally use a makeup removing wipe to remove eye makeup in the morning before putting more on, but soap hasn't touched my face for almost 15 years now... it just dries it out... and my skin doesn't look any worse for the neglect that it receives :shrug:

I still tend to pass as at least 5 years younger than I actually am, so it can't be THAT bad of an idea! :laugh:

interesting...i can't deal with it. i've woken up from deep sleep because i forgot to wash my face and it feels yuck. i have sort of dry skin and am always putting thick lotions or almond oil or something on it...but it has to feel really clean too...seems contradictory haha

KDude

Well, I'm just a guy so I'm sure I don't have much to talk about here.. but I glanced at the thread. I'm with whatever. I get my face wet in the shower, but don't wash. I guess shaving is another way I "wash" and rinse heavily too. I used to have acne issues and buy soaps for that, but I have less issues now. Maybe some products just exacerbate the issue for some people, and natural oils are better.