• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"It's pretty good if you can bench press your own weight"

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
That's what people have said, and everyone's heard at some point I think. When people say this, do they mean if you can max your own weight, or do a solid 10-12 reps with it?

Just curious. I've always wondered.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Yeah I can't even lift 1/4 of my own weight, so I can't wrap my head around this.

/fatass

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that most would assume that 1 rep at body weight is pretty good. I guess it depends on your weight also to a degree. It wouldnt be impressive, but pretty good.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Doesent sound like much to me, only thing that comes to my mind is lol standards has gone down. Dunno how much i can lift from bench, but i dont have any problem handling rotors that weight as much as i do(putting bearings on them and carefully inserting them into motors). But i dont weight much..

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Doesent sound like much to me, only thing that comes to my mind is lol standards has gone down. Dunno how much i can lift from bench, but i dont have any problem handling rotors that weight as much as i do(putting bearings on them and carefully inserting them into motors). But i dont weight much..

Welp, I suggest actually bench pressing and seeing if the theory holds true. You might be surprised, or you might not.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Welp, I suggest actually bench pressing and seeing if the theory holds true. You might be surprised, or you might not.

Well i tried it once in 7th or 8th grade and could lift about what i weight now, so i really dont see any problem there..

Pinker85

I'm a girl and I can bench press my own weight but only for a couple reps. I mainly do free weights as I'm not so keen on losing my boobs I tend not to focus on a lot of chest exercises.

LucidLegend1984

MBTI Type
INTJ
Benching your own weight is a sort of rule of thumb in weightlifting. If you can bench your own weight in at least 1 rep you have a good amount of muscle.

I'm a girl and I can bench press my own weight but only for a couple reps. I mainly do free weights as I'm not so keen on losing my boobs I tend not to focus on a lot of chest exercises.

Unfortunately the more a girl works out the smaller the boobs get. This is not the case for ALL women but about 99.9% of them this is true. Makes me sad really :(

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can pick up an old lady about 2/3rds my own weight....
I don't know if the bench pressing rule applies to girls though.