• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Feeling Warmer when it's Colder?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm looking for the name of this phenomenon... in this certain range of temperature between about 44 and 57 degrees I seem to feel way colder than everyone else. But once it gets colder than that, about 33-43 degrees, it feels much less unpleasant, with the same amount of jackets and everything. It's almost like the extra coldness is insulating my body more.

Anyone know or experience what I am talking about?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They make vests that take advantage of this fact for cooling you down in the summer... "phase change material" vests usually have some material that melts at like 57F or whatever and keep you very cool without inducing hypothermia. The problem with just putting a vest of ice on yourself, from what I read, is that the blood vessels actively constrict at your skin (it's a skin reaction I think) and that prevents body heat from leaving via your skin, which can ironically give you heat exhaustion if it's really hot outside...

No idea what the term is, but I'm betting it's the same effect.