• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advice Needed: Dizziness & Panic Attack

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was working out in the gym yesterday, just my normal routine to do cardio workout (15 mins running, 15 minutes sprinting, 10 minutes Elliptical, with less than 5 minutes break in between).

Then I spent approximately 10 minutes in the steam room before heading to the shower. Once I'm in the shower, I let the (warm) water running for about 20 minutes while I tried to rub off the dead skins off.

Then suddenly I felt dizzy, and had trouble standing firmly. On top of this, I was experiencing a shortness of breath, my vision got really blurred and I was in panic. I felt I can almost pass out at any time and quickly wrapped myself with a towel and turn off the water. Then I started to get really sweaty and I was about to ask for help (no one is around me at that time), but the shortness of breath kept tripping me out.

I ended up crawling on the floor to the toilet cubicles because I had an urge to have myself seated. Then I felt nauseated and tried to throw up (which I did) while I sweated intensely when I'm actually feeling cold. I spent 10 minutes inside to regain my conscious, and honestly I kept struggling not to pass out and my mind kept tripping hard with flashes of past memories (I honestly thought that's a sign that I could die at that moment). I was also paranoid because I still haven't purchased a life insurance and worried about the med fees, if I had to be hospitalized.

I've never experienced this ever in my life and I wonder if this has to do with low-blood pressure or malnutrition? I was honestly scared as hell as I have no family members nor relatives here. :(

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Most likely, you dehydrated yourself during the workout and your body temp spiked in the steam/shower. Because you were dehydrated, your body couldn't effectively sweat to cool down. I've had similar reactions when I've gone into an intense workout not having eaten or imbibing enough water throughout the day, your body basically shuts down. I think this is an isolated incident related to your nutrition that day.

Do you work out in the mornings, before breakfast?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it sounds like dehydration with some panic/confusion thrown in. Used to do MA, and if I took a long break and returned I invariably got dehydrated to the point of near fainting partway through class no matter how much I drank before. From then on in other classes, it wasn't a problem. The body is a strange thing.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Most likely, you dehydrated yourself during the workout and your body temp spiked in the steam/shower. Because you were dehydrated, your body couldn't effectively sweat to cool down. I've had similar reactions when I've gone into an intense workout not having eaten or imbibing enough water throughout the day, your body basically shuts down. I think this is an isolated incident related to your nutrition that day.

Do you work out in the mornings, before breakfast?

After work actually, usually between 8 to 9 p.m.

It's probably I haven't been eating much lately (I had a fruit salad on that day). It's glad to know this isn't uncommon. I didn't work out that hard as compare to my usual routine, and I got really freaked out as I've never experienced anything like this before (I'm okay handling at dizziness, but not having shortness of breath and having blur visions concurrently).

It's a sign that I should start to eat properly from now on. Thanks for your feedback btw!

Yeah, it sounds like dehydration with some panic/confusion thrown in. Used to do MA, and if I took a long break and returned I invariably got dehydrated to the point of near fainting partway through class no matter how much I drank before. From then on in other classes, it wasn't a problem. The body is a strange thing.

Yes, I sometimes did burn myself out too hard to a point that I can pass out at any time and I know the feeling. It's just that this time, I didn't know how to handle myself when losing vision, having shortness of breath, and feeling weightless all hit me at once. I was really scared as I was alone in the shower cubicle (at 10:30 pm). I just want to make sure that these symptoms are common to people who had exhausted themselves physically. Hopefully I didn't sound hyper as I was really worried about my health condition.

Thanks for your input, Qlip. I appreciate it.