• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Diets Make You Fat - New Thread By Victor

jixmixfix

Permabanned
True that.
Each thing you've mentioned requires a large degree of devotion- be it internal or external. Diets don't work as they are typically momentary- a quick fix- and not a lifestyle change. Diets vs long-term healthy eating are two entirely different creatures, and people are far less keen on the latter.

From my experience it was much harder to lose the weight than maintain it. So once I lost the fat I could go back binge eating because I wasn't trying to lose only maintain.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
What the fuck are you talking about?

:laugh:

Jix, I thought when you started conversing with Victor you knew what you were getting into. Clearly, you were unprepared. Don't bring a golf club to a tennis match!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate to say Victor is right (<---I love saying that). A diet is just what you eat, and what you eat makes you fat. That's all there is to it.

Mole

Permabanned
Trust me

I hate to say Victor is right (<---I love saying that

I wonder why. Is it that you hate to say Victor is right, or is it that you hate Victor?

But let's check it out. Look in the mirror and think of me. And note the expression on your face.

If you hate me, you will have a hateful expression on your face. Your wrinkles will deepen, your eyes will narrow, and you will purse your lips. Not a pretty picture.

On the other hand you love to say you hate to say Victor is right. So perhaps you love to hate Victor.

This is a very complicated expression - a mixture of love and hate.

You might even take a picture of yourself in the mirror, so we can all see how you feel about me. And we might be able to untangle your emotions.

All you have to do is trust me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder why. Is it that you hate to say Victor is right, or is it that you hate Victor?

But let's check it out. Look in the mirror and think of me. And note the expression on your face.

If you hate me, you will have a hateful expression on your face. Your wrinkles will deepen, your eyes will narrow, and you will purse your lips. Not a pretty picture.

On the other hand you love to say you hate to say Victor is right. So perhaps you love to hate Victor.

This is a very complicated expression - a mixture of love and hate.

You might even take a picture of yourself in the mirror, so we can all see how you feel about me. And we might be able to untangle your emotions.

All you have to do is trust me.

Don't overthink it. It's just a thing. Or.. maybe you're right. I hate to say it, maybe Victor is right. hehe

Mole

Permabanned
Stepping up to the crease, and stepping back

:laugh:

Jix, I thought when you started conversing with Victor you knew what you were getting into. Clearly, you were unprepared. Don't bring a golf club to a tennis match!

Who knows? Perhaps it is a very long cricket match. So you are rewarded by patience, stamina and subtlety, and by following the manners and mores of cricket. So when someone says, "It's not cricket!", you know you have overstepped the mark, and as a gentleman, you step back.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
What the fuck are you talking about?

Who knows? Perhaps it is a very long cricket match. So you are rewarded by patience, stamina and subtlety, and by following the manners and mores of cricket. So when someone says, "It's not cricket!", you know you have overstepped the mark, and as a gentleman, you step back.

Pssh, cricket is for pansies!

Now rugby - there's a sport!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
It's true, pansies do grow on the cricket field. And even during a match seagulls will land on the field among the pansies.

images

MBTI Type
INTJ
If diets worked, there would be no need for thousands and thousands of diet books; there would be no need for magazines to constantly spruke diets.

It's the same with self help books. If they worked, there would be no need of a constant, no ending stream.

And it is exactly the same with religion. If religion worked, or if religion was true, there would be no need for thousands of religions.

So diets, self help books and religions don't work.

The ridiculousness of the premise is exceeded only by the vanity of the title.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I hate to say Victor is right (<---I love saying that). A diet is just what you eat, and what you eat makes you fat. That's all there is to it.

victor is clearly wrong. What we eat can either speed up or slow our metabolism.So eating right foods helps you lose weight as oppose to gain it. This is science not a philosophical question.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

speak for yourself.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
If diets worked, there would be no need for thousands and thousands of diet books; there would be no need for magazines to constantly spruke diets.

It's the same with self help books. If they worked, there would be no need of a constant, no ending stream.

And it is exactly the same with religion. If religion worked, or if religion was true, there would be no need for thousands of religions.

So diets, self help books and religions don't work.

A good post. :)

Is it in the interest of doctors to make mankind healthy?
It is in the interest of doctors to make mankind unhealthy.

Interest.

1. Profit.
2. Advantage.

G

Ginkgo

What? You don't believe in God, but you do believe in McDonalds?

Well, they tell me the golden arches are better known than the cross.

I think it's because Churches haven't invented drive-thrus. Maybe the root of the problem is that Church's Chicken got dibs on the copyright.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
diets make us fat because most people only eat that diet for a short period of time and the body gains back the weight after that period is over, if they kept eating the diet forever that shouldn't happen

nanook

a scream in a vortex
people don't maintain their caloric restriction or macro-proportions-pattern because their metabolism doesn't allow them to do so, after some time.

for instance a low carb diet is famous for allowing you calorie restriction without any painfull hunger. it's true! it's awesome.

but after you hit your metabolic plateau months later, even the slightest hint of hunger will magically drive you to eat something, preferably something with some carbs in it. your psyche becomes supersensitive to physical hunger. you have lost all discipline.

calorie restriction is imho usefull, as long as it's not a restriction of nutrients.

high nutrient density is the major reasoning for a low carb diet.

arguing about insulin, like gary taubes does, is problematic, because of "how the body works" is a variable and what's true for overweight high-carb-conditioned people may be no longer true for them, after they have done a low carb diet for many months.

calorie/carb restriction is usefull because loosing 50 of 70 pounds fat (as i did last year) can be verry usefull for health, ...

... even if it does not fix metabolism and your crazy metabolism will "make you" gain back 10 or 15 pounds quickly, as soon as you begin to eat by appetite again. by making you eat almond choclate, if need be.

if a fat metabolism, that is a body who's hormon system "thinks" that he must save fat, because it thinks that "food is a scarcity", can be "fixed" at all, then this fix can be applied after the initial weight loss period.

remember that this body's opionon about gaining weight is not relative to body weight. this type of body feels like he is starving even when he has 70 pounds of overweight.

the reason he does not gain indefinately is onyl because he also cares about having to carry it around and possibly other factors. so i don't believe that having lost 40 or 50 pounds makes fixin the metabolism harder.

i got some interesting ideas from a guy named gabriel about how metabolism "thinks".

so i reached my plateau at 20 pound overweight, after losing 50 pounds. i am currently testing the effects of eating as much as i can, once a day. 1400kcal in the morning. doing this for two days now. didn't feel hungry in the evening. signaling my stomach abundance in the morning and never having a thought about restricting food/portions (as if it was a scarcity) might have an effect on my metabolism. it's just a test. i really never expect one method to work for a long time.

another idea of his, besides signaling abundance, is teaching your body, that it's better off without excess weight, by making it do things, that it can hardly do with all the weight. like running away from the cops. this is what he has observed with his cat, who wanted to become slim, after being chased by a dog for the first time in her life. it's not about sports, like gaining muscles or burning calories, albeit gaining muscles is probably a good idea too.

another strategy is to make sure there is no incomming toxic load. the body needs time to give up fat, because the fat dumps toxins and they have to be relased when the fat is burned, and that is dangerous and needs to be done slowly.

if you have any wisdom on hacking metabolism, share it.

Mole

Permabanned
Shriving

Diets are form of abnegation. Diets are a form of penance. We shrive ourselves by dieting.

And it is women who do the most dieting.

And they diet to punish themselves for being women.

Being a women in the patriarchy is a sin, and sinners must be shrived.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Diets are form of abnegation. Diets are a form of penance. We shrive ourselves by dieting.

And it is women who do the most dieting.

And they diet to punish themselves for being women.

Being a women in the patriarchy is a sin, and sinners must be shrived.

Ah well i am mighty glad i do not need to be punished. I just eat (failry) healthily.
I have a high metabolism and i excersize.... because i like it.
Society must be rewarding me for being a woman...
progress!