• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Essential Oils and Natural Remedies

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am completely unfamiliar with that. There is a chapter on the chemistry and a safety discussion. If you have links to sites that examine the problems I would be glad to read those. What makes something have psychoactive properties? Are you saying they are all neurotoxic? I'm just a bit confused by that.

The Wiki entry for essential oils gives some basic information for the LD50 of these compounds. These numbers seem to be fairly high, but I note with some alarm that they are abortefacients in very small quantity.

The psychoactive property of some essential oils comes from the presence of eugenol, isoeugenol, safrole, isosafole, piperonal, indole, and others.

You can read an article by Dr. Andrew T. Weil about the the use of essential oil of nutmeg (for example) as a psychotropic agent here.

Not all essential oils are neurotoxic. Some are hepatotoxic, some are carcinogens, etc. You can find a list of many oils and their safety info here and here.

cheers,
Ian

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Jasmine is equally attractive to men and women, and men like the smell of pumpkin pie and...donuts. Like these scents are physically arousing to men.
You mean there are people that don't know this?

I actually dislike flowery or perfumey perfumes (kinda burns my throat, even in faint quantities). But eau de eclaire? :wubbie: You'd own me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't have too much experience with them.. I use them primarily just because they smell good and, when bought at places like Bulk Apothecary, last a long time for a cheap price.

- I stick grapefruit, lemon, and eucalyptus in cleaning products. I make my own, so usually the day of cleaning a dash of soap, water, and a couple drops of these. I hate lavender but I hear it wards off mice.. I'm desperate enough to try soon.

- I use peppermint at the hospital a lot. It helps people with nausea, and sometimes it helps mask the odors of bad diseases like awful wounds and stuff... it makes patient care more pleasant. I was gifted some of the small doterra pearls.. they're alright I guess.. but I just it for breath mints, and probably won't buy more because I hate those business models and refuse to support them.

- I don't use tea tree oil directly, but a lot of my stuff has it in it.. like my TJ's shampoo and stuff.

I'd just be very careful and make sure you read up on any interactions with meds you might be taking, ones that are dangerous for the skin, etc. Sites that are very into essential oils tend to downplay these, or don't prominently display them.. It's just easier to find the ones you want to use, and research any potential dangers with them.

If you want something a bit safer/more diluted to use, hydrosols are a good way to go. I like Prairie land herbs a lot, and they have some really good vinegar soaks and hydrosols.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Depends on what you intend to ise them for.

My aunt is really into homeopathic stuff.She uses Do-terra a lot.

She gave me some oil of thiers for red or blemished skin and I swear by it. I break out pretty out. My skin was just covered in nasty red blotches. I used it twice a day for a week and afterward people starting making
comments about my porcelin skin.

I don't use much else aside from what I put in my diffuser: citrus during the day to feel happy and energized, and any pleasant scent ( I use rose or cinnamin ) at night keeps away the nightmares.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I have used them but not successfully I guess? I went to a naturalist when I was having a lot of stomach issues and she had some kind of essential oil concoction (ginger and peppermint and some other stuff), which tasted horrible and I found after a few months of use had no impact on my health. Of course, it all depends on your body and how it reacts to this stuff and what doesn't work for me probably works great for others.
Jasmine oil on the other hand smells heavenly. I don't know/care what it does but it's great.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know what essential oils are. I take dha d3 and b12 but I somehow don't think its the same thing. I have tee tree oil shampoo. It smells nice but that's about it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
My aunt is craxy-into this stuff. I don5buy into all of it but there are some that I find useful.

I have always had awful, greasy skin. No acne products have ever done any good but I find that doTERRA's facial oil works miracles. My aunt gave it to me because my face was just a red blotchy mess. I used it to teice a day fir a week and my skin wasporceln.

It's just a combination of oils. Eucaliptys and tee tree are the two which come to mind.

I also have an oil difuser which I use while I'm asleep. Some of medication inevitably causes nightmares but I heard that plesant scents lead to plesant dreams. I use rose or jasmine and I haven't had an issue with nightmares since.

StrawberryJam

MBTI Type
INTJ
I multi use VCO. It serves as my moisturizer, hair mask, and it can heal wounds faster. I have also started oil pulling using VCO.